Parent reviews for The Fox and the Hound

The Fox and the Hound Poster Image

Great movie

It is a very good movie and taught my kids many life lessons. I would recommend it to anybody

Mature-er emotions

I watched this as a kid and was fine, but I went hunting as a child and also Disney movies were all a little darker than they are now. With that I would keep that in mind while watching this movie. It has dark themes like death, betrayal, and abandonment. Even though it is made light-hearted with cute characters, one may need to watch out for this one.

Not for adoptees

The movie is fine, especially considering its age. My daughter was thoroughly engaged. If your child is adopted, though, there could be an issue. The fox's caretaker abandons him in the woods and he never comes home. This was problematic. He advised.

Great movie but Heart wrenching

Watched this movie today with my 6 year old niece and I do not think this was a good decision on my part as there are many scenes that disturbed us both: the mother fox gets shot at the beginning, Todd gets shot at multiple times by that Amus Slade dude, Cheif gets hit by a train, that old lady wrecklessly abandons Todd in the Forrest when he has been raised by her most of his life so he lacks the outdoor survival skills needed for such a life, Todd and vixie getting trapped in that log with fire but most of all, the bear attack was pretty freaky even though it was a cartoon. This movie did give me the opportunity to explain to her the importance of not abandoning your pet into the wild as well as the importance bear safety and allowed me to explain what poaching was to her (Amos going hunting in an area marked “no hunting). The ending was cute though. We were both hoping copper and Todd would be hanging out together at the end though.

Fox and the hound!!

A great story with a good message. Bit sad in some parts and some mild violence hunting but overall a good classic. Cute characters.

Love this film

Our daughter watched it just before her 4th birthday. She's not a battle hardened 4 year old - she gets scared at Peter Rabbit, but her favourite tv programmes are Peter Rabbit and Octonauts, so she's used to decent plots and the idea that stories can be scary but end up okay. We showed her Fox and Hound without watching it first, and really regretted that. I was terrified when watching it because I had no idea how it would end. Luckily it all ended fine. Amos is still grumpy but he and the widow became friends. Tod and Vixy ended up happy together. We tend to make up our own back stories to flesh out questions about what happened, so in these stories Tod and Vixy often meet up with the widow, which was the most upsetting thing for our 4 year old, and the bear was really cross that day because he had a thorn in his foot. We had questions at the beginning about why the fox's mummy was shot, questions about why Amos didn't like Tod. But she was quite accepting of this - partly because we don't know the fox's mother, so there's no emotional attachment to her. We also have chickens so she has already been used to seeing both sides of the argument - the foxes want to eat our chickens and Peter Rabbit so we don't like them when they do that, but we like the fox who went out on a chilly night and caught the old grey goose, and we like Tod and his mummy. The thing that most upset her was why the widow would leave Tod. She was in tears at this point and needed cuddles and reassurance. The bear was a bit scary, but no more than Peter Rabbit. As soon as it was finished she wanted to watch it again. I really like it because no character is perfect. Copper gets angry at Tod for something that wasn't really his fault, but then their friendship is still there and strong enough for him to defend Tod with his life and stand up to Amos to defend his friend. Amos is an old grouch, but makes friends with widow twankey. I think it teaches kids that morals and friendships aren't simple and straightforward. Basically in theory 4 year olds are quite capable of watching it but it depends on your child, how you're bringing up your kids and what they're used to watching. I would say watch it first so you know the story and definitely, definitely, definitely sit with your 4 year old every step of the way with this film. You will need to be there to explain things to them and reassure them, but with that proviso, it's one of my 4 year old's favourites.

this is a really good movie i had the books when i was younger

Old school values don't match current world

Whilst it is a very cute cartoon, the fact is the themes are not necessarily for children. It's virtually all about hunting - and in great detail, including lots of rifle shooting, cruel intentions from the Hunter character and how a hunting trap works (a tree branch gets cut in half in demonstration of what it would do to a fox). As all old school Disney movies, there is sexism. However, I do think that this movie goes a little far with several insults about being female from the Hunter to his rival female neighbour (owner of Fox). And it goes both ways as, partway through the movie, Fox meets "boy crazy" girl fox, who had merely becomes interested in him because she gets told he is handsome. Due to the mature theme of hunting (we now live in a world where veganism and environmental issues have become global concerns), I have chosen Age 12. Also, I do believe the scary scenes with bear made to look unusually fierce with angry, red eyes would scare younger ones 6 years (and under.) If the things I've mentioned don't bother you and your family, then it's overall a lovely movie about Friendship and survival of life and friendship.

Not for sensitive children

Some intense scenes and violence frightened my 6-year old.

foxy

This was showing Disney going to mature way back then. An all star cast and in our Danish dub the singer Lone Kellermann is the owl. Lots of excitement and romance. Good for a fun retro night.