Parent reviews for The Green Mile

The Green Mile Poster Image

GREAT

Violence 4.5/5 Sex 3/5 Language 4/5 Drinking/Drugs/Smoking 1/5

Language!

It’s overall a great movie, what common sense media doesn’t mention in their review is that it uses the GOD**MN several times. Just a heads up

Meaningful, deep classic that will be sure to bring a tear to your eye.

The Green Mile is one of my favourite movies ever made, and for good reason. It’s thoughtful, deep, funny and thought provoking - a movie you will never forget. With that being said, it is also disturbing and very sad - I’ve never watched it without crying! The acting and direction is just incredible, you really fall in love with John Coffey and hate other characters. The movie will leave you feeling sad, confused but also happy. It’s a real mix of emotions and something to think about. Just to warn parents, there are horrific and graphic scenes of torture and death. You see one prisoner catch fire after the electric chair, so be warned. People definitely overreact about the graphical content in this - it is disturbing, yes, but nonetheless is necessary. However, with that being said, you cannot live your life without experiencing this movie. It’s a classic and will always be! Just bring a box of tissues with you

Amazing movie! Must see!

This is an extremely violent and gut-wrenching movie, but there are many positive aspects you can get out of watching this film. It is definitely one of my top 5 favorite movies! I love John Coffey and the example he sets for his guards and his fellow inmates. But the part where Eduard Delacroix dies that violent, painful death in the electric chair is a very hard pill to swallow. I almost cried. I also almost cried when it was time for Coffey to be executed, and I am NOT the crying type when it comes to movies! Coffey is definitely a gentle giant and someone who is a very positive role model. Parents, don’t make your kids wait too long to watch this film! It is a very important masterpiece to watch, and even though it is based on a work by Stephen King, it is, like “The Shawshank Redemption,” not a horror piece. I mean, some of the electric chair parts can be very scary, but it isn’t supposed to be horror scariness. This is a must-see, and don’t listen to the people who say you need to be 18 or older to watch it! It is perfectly okay even for kids who are 16 and 17. A lot of violence, but many positive themes!

Gratuitous sexual content and language. Not for kids/teens.

This is a good movie but DEFINITELY NOT FOR TEENS! The gratuitous sexual language and violence is over the top. The torture scene will stay with you for a long time and is terrifying. This is an over 21 movie!!!!!!!

GREAT MOVIE BUT VERY SAD

its an amazing movie i let my 12 year old girl watch it she loves Stephen kings films we watched the Mist too . This one made her really cry . This french guy he had a pet mouse who knows tricks and he gave him food looked after him then an evil man called percy who got the job of working in the prison from his uncle and squished the guys pet mouse(dont worry still alive) the french guy was then going to die in the electric chair and asked the guy about the mouse the police told him they will take him to a circus where kidswill pay a lot of money to see him just when hes about to die percy said its a fairy tale there is no circus then they put the mask over him . in eletric chair your supposed to wet the sponge so they die quickly but he didnt and when they executed him he was still alive even though he was on fire . another inmate there called bill who was acting crazy even though he wasn't gets shot in his cell. BUT I WOULD ADVISE TO WATCH IT FIRST BEFORE LETTING YOUR KIDS .IT IS A GREAT FILM AND WOULD ADVISE YOU TO WATCH IT BUT MAYBE NOT KIDS/TEENS EVEN IF THEY ARE MATURE

Grown up theme - definitely not for youngsters!

After reading other reviews (by children who gave a recommended age of 13), I decided to allow my 11 year old to start watching this. He's mature for his age, and not of a nervous disposition. We've watched other 'older' films without any issues. However, I feel the theme and unsettling, bleak undercurrent, is definitely for more mature children. I will put this down to experience, as I personally regret introducing him to the film - wonderful as it is. Not sure he'll sleep well tonight!

If your child can handle it.

The film itself is fairly gory, and we can see this when the start of the movie includes two dead girls with blood on the backs of their heads. A French man befriends a mouse halfway through, which eventually gets stepped on and killed brutally, but brought to life again. A prisoner is shot in the chest in his cell as well. One prisoner is electrocuted horribly and burned everywhere. If your child is mature enough to handle such a film, I say go for it. However, this film is hard hitting and delves deep into the minds of murderers and rapists. Not suitable for anybody below their teenage years.

Crude language and vulgar references abound

I had forgotten all the disgusting remarks made by the inmates. The sexual innuendo is present throughout. We watched this with our children after reading the reviews on this site and I'd say the warnings are not strong enough!

This movie is deep on so many levels...

I have this one on DVD. Out of all the stories by Steven King, this one is the most thought provoking to me. It's a film in which good and evil coexist behind brick walls. Most of the guards at the prison are civil, and the lead is the kindliest one, but there's another guard who gets his jolly's tormenting the inmates, including stomping one inmates pet mouse to death who.is then immediately raised from the dead and in another scene botches the same inmates excution by not wetting the sponge and prolonging the suffering of electrocution and burning him alive. It's graphic and violent with disturbing images BUT the story it tells far out weights any shortcomings as the brutality of the scenes serve a point about the injustice that often occurs based on assumptions and the abuse of power by those in authority. Example of the point that this film makes is that Jon Coffey is a gentle giant who only wanted to save the little girls but got punished for a crime he didn't commit. The short white guard is a bully to the inmates and gets a power high from torturing others. It's just got alot of good things to take from it but it is graphic and does have fairly strong language, but it's not over used, just merely strong. I say that it's appropriate for highschool freshmen age and up but sit through it with them.