Kid reviews for The Green Mile

The Green Mile Poster Image

A true heartbreak that isn't for the faint of heart

Generally, a reasonable age range would be over 13, even if some people may beg to differ. I watched this two days ago and my age is 11. It was a recommendation from a fellow friend, who also happened to be a 11. I accept that many of those reading this may raise a brow, and I do have to admit that I am quite underage in most eyes. But hear what's most crucial to every single review I've left on sites such as Common Sense Media or Quora relating to these topics. I've always mentioned that maturity and understanding plays such an important and crucial role in watching movies, TV shows, etc. I am well aware that some kids may claim to be mature when they actually lack that the most, some kids may understand a concept but get squeamish and uncomfortable when exposed to it, which technically makes every answer vary from person to person. In reality, putting 13 as a general age to watch this movie is quite loose to say the least. Aside from that, here's a few scenes, parts, and remarks to take note of before watching. The movie features heavily implied sex. I say heavily because the main character, Paul Edgecomb, engages in sexual activity with his wife, and you are able to hear moaning from both characters through a window (no visuals) and later Paul Edgecomb resting on his wife, both unclothed. There are other sexual remarks ranging from flirts to a rape threat from an inmate. Sayings with cussing and sexual comments and a few other mentions are also thrown around from time to time. And as just mentioned earlier, there is definitely quite a handful of cussing and slurs used pretty often, too. Violence is also shown now and then, the most brutal being executions for death row inmates, as it's the main character, Paul Edgecomb's job. Minor spoiler: There is also a scene in which Percy Wetson, another worker, messes up the electrocution chair by purposefully not wetting the sponge (it is said earlier that you can't do the execution without a wetted sponge), however he was completely oblivious to what the consequences were. The inmate is shown screaming in excruciating pain and catches on fire, sprouting many other catastrophic moments following. The other half of the violence in this movie is the occasional beating with a stick, a semi-graphic scene in which minor spoiler: Percy Wetson steps on an inmates pet mouse, killing it, blood shown. One of the other inmates engages in severely aggressive behaviors, nearly strangling a worker as he's moved to his cell. That same inmate also has quite vulgar language. In the end, this is my experience with the movie, and truly tore me to pieces. I only highlighted the parts in the movie that may raise concern in some watchers/parental figures to the watchers, but in the end I highly, highly recommend watching if you can handle what I've mentioned above. It relays such a powerful message in the end that I avoided mentioning in this review so you can experience it yourself. Made my heart ache. Once again, highly recommend.

1 person found this helpful.

Amazing

awesome a little cussing

Amazing!!!

I love this movie. It’s awesome. I know other people cried watching this movie, but I don’t cry in movies. It did arouse a lot of emotions in me and is truly a masterpiece. There is some violence, but it’s not too over the top. Wouldn’t recommend for sensitive kids only to mature ones. It teaches you lots of great values and lessons I think kids should learn about.

Fantastic movie

This movie had a great lesson. I watched it for the first time when I was 9 (wayyyy too young) and it had to have been the hardest I'd ever cried in my life. It is a really heavy movie, it took me about 3 months to not tear up when I talked about the movie. I wouldn't recommend for children under 15 but if they already saw it, no big deal, it taught them a good lesson and is a very well-made movie.

Its execution scenes can be potentially traumatising

It’s execution scene is scarring, if not emotionally traumatising. Plus it features rather “hardcore” profanity, not to mention how it’s portrayal of humanity is not exactly uplifting nor child-friendly. I don’t doubt the green miles nuance or thoughtfulness, but all and all it’s an intense, graphic and suggestive (albeit mildly) movie that should not be watched by most kids/teens . Heck, I would even recommend squirmy adults to avoid it

Saddest Movie I've Ever Seen

this movie is so sad. there is some violence. way too heavy for tweens.

WOW!!!

Tom hanks was amazing in this character And the director presented the movue a way that everybody likes it. The idea of the movie is awesome The movie is 13+ it doesn’t have any thing too much unless the violence And it only has on s*x Scene and it doesn’t show anything only 4 seconds of moan

Perfect

This is probably my favourite movie of all time, there are no Flaws, the acting is great the cinematography is beautiful. Its just perfect. There are some extreamly violent scenes including: a botched exicution, dead children, bones breaking, shooting. There are also a scene that implies sexual assault and implied sex scenes. I do not however think it's as bad as some of these reviews are making out... It's definitely worth a watch and 500 re watches. Any mature teen should be able to watch and appreciate this great film.

Very sad, heart quenching story, that everybody should watch

This movie is personally my favorite movie ever. It is very sad. Out of the seven times I have seen the movie, I have sobbed my eyes out every single time. This movie also shows the corruption in the justice system. This movie is must information that every single human being should know about. This movie is very, very good, but is sadly not for lost children under the age of fourteen.