Kid reviews for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Poster Image

I'd watch it again for sure.

The movie is SOOO different from the book! Some of the changes were way better though. Anyway. A bit of violence, lots of kissing, a few look-away moments. The fact that Sidney is gay is definitley worth mentioning. Pretty good movie on the whole. I'd watch it again.

A WWII Romance With a Twist

I read the book last year and didn't know there was a film! Set in 1946, Juliet Ashton (Lily James) is an affluent author from London and Dawsey Adams (Michiel Huisman) is a pig farmer from the island of Guernsey. The story begins when Juliet receives a letter from Dawsey after he found her address in a Charles Lamb book. Juliet soon learns the hardships of living in occupied Guernsey and the disappearance of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society's founder, Elizabeth Mckenna (Jessica Brown Findlay). I'm sad that the film missed out so many characters like Sophie and Remy, and the lack of the relationship between Juliet and Kit, unlike in the book. Nevertheless, this film is one of the best Historical Romances out there. Juliet's fiancée, Markham Reynolds (Glen Powell) is an American diplomat, who the audience seems to dislike, anticipating Juliet and Dawsey's romance. Overall, this film is excellent, although it does have some upsetting themes and language relevant to the era. This is such a compelling story, not only the romance, but it provides an accurate insight into life at the time in Nazi occupied Guernsey. This film could upset younger viewers, but on the whole it is a worthwhile watch.

Terrific World War II Movie. Has Some Violence...

Following World War II, the people of Guernsey are still in shock following the German occupation of their island. To stay out of trouble from the Nazi army, they create The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. There are flashbacks of the German soldiers on the island during the occupation. Some of the flashbacks are a little violent. There is no sex, and barely any kissing in the movie. There is little language, if any. All in all, this movie is very good. I said 11+ because of the violence. I also said that because some younger kids might find it a little slow, or just not understand what is going on. I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes history, romance, or reading!

I cried... a lot.

This is a fantastic movie, I'll start by saying. My mom and I are huge Jane Austen fanatics, and this seemed like something we'd like so we gave it a go. And boy were we glad. It's a very serious movie, with a huge mystery, but it had a great kiss at the end. There were funny moments, and heartbreaking moments as well. It's bloody at times, there is some talk that could be misinterpreted as sex talk, and one character makes a strong gin. But it's such a good movie, and those didn't affect me. Lily James is brilliant in the role, and is such a good role model.