All parent member reviews for The Impossible

Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written byfancythat January 25, 2013

So Worth Seeing

I was a bit hesitant to see this movie because I was afraid it would be too disturbing and hard to cope with the subject matter. I loved the resiliency of the family and other characters. One of the messages I appreciated is that no matter what nationality we are, we all have the same loyalty to loved ones and compassion for others.

Parent Written bynimswa January 10, 2013

Heartwrenching

I didn't expect to like this movie at all, but was surprised to find that it was excellent. The acting was superb; Naomi Watts deserves a nomination.

Adult Written byatkinsww January 19, 2013

Very good but very difficult movie.

This is a very difficult movie to watch. Adults need to decide for themselves if they want to see so much pain and misery, but it is not for kids. The death, the destruction, and there is non-sexual nudity.

Parent Written byShivom Oza January 3, 2013

The Impossible (2012) Review by Shivom Oza – Watchable, Not ‘Moving’ Enough!

‘The Impossible’ is an English-language Spanish film, based on the real-life account of Maria and Henry Belon and their children, who were separated and ravaged by the catastrophic Indian Ocean tsunami in ’04.

The film has its ‘touchy, tear-jerker’ moments, but, overall, it fails to make an impact. The film is watchable, but it won’t stay with you. Credit to the makers for touching upon the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami, a disaster that has not been captured on celluloid as yet!

Maria Belon (Naomi Watts), her husband Henry Belon (Ewan McGregor) and their kids Lucas, Thomas and Simon, are visiting Thailand for their Christmas vacation. The family plans to spend a few days at a picturesque tropical paradise resort. However, their holiday is cut short on the morning of December 26, 2004, by the tsunami. The family, while managing to stay alive, has been separated. While the eldest son Lucas is stranded with his severely-injured mother, Henry is lying unconscious in the middle of nowhere. The younger two children are tucked away in a safe location. How the separated family reunites among this chaotic atmosphere forms the crux of the film.

The film, directed by Juan Antonio Bayona and written by Sergio G. Sánchez (both of whom worked on the critically-acclaimed ‘The Orphanage’), manages to move you at several points. Whether it is the occurring of the tsunami, the washing away of hundreds of dead bodies, destruction of life and property, the sight of the vicious injuries and amputated bodies or the grief of the affected, the film manages to touch up on each of the mishaps that occur during any natural disaster of that magnitude. And these instances, backed with gut-wrenching visuals and dramatic background music, do move you a bit as well. However, in entirety, this two-hour-long film does not, and dare one say it, will not stay with the viewer. It keeps swaying between the Belon family’s misfortunes and the overall impact of the tsunami on all the victims, hence diluting the emotional impact. There are a couple of scenes towards the end, when the affected finally get some sort of closure, either through a reunion or an acceptance of reality, which are touching and may leave you a bit overwhelmed. However, as a real-life ‘disaster’ film, the writers could have done much more with the screenplay.

Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor deliver fine performances; however they did not click as husband and wife. The three kids, Lucas (Tom Holland), Thomas (Samuel Joslin) and Simon (Oaklee Pendergast), are absolutely terrific. Tom Holland, in particular, who plays the eldest son, Lucas, gives an outstanding performance. Essentially, every member of the family had to portray themselves as grief-struck, panicky and devastated, and Tom manages to bring out all those emotions with utmost ease.

Watchable, but not ‘moving’ enough!

Shivom Oza

Parent Written by915071 April 25, 2013

good

verry good

Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 9 year old Written bymom2fourgr8kids May 19, 2013

Definitely worth seeing, great story!

Awesome movie! It is very intense at times and highly emotional. I am debating what age would be appropriate for my kids to see this. I think the PG-13 rating has it right - it's just a little too intense for anyone younger than 13. There is a brief moment of nudity, when the mom's breast is showing because her shirt strap ripped, really not a big deal.

Adult Written bychristian2011 May 11, 2013

Amazing, emotionally intense movie based on the true story of a family's survival. A must watch.

The Impossible is a movie that greatly portrays the human spirit and makes you believe that miracles can happen even in the most unexpected situations. It's an intense, heartfelt, awe-inspiring true story about a family and thier 3 children who go through desperate measures to help and eventually become reunited after a catastrophic tsunami strikes Asia in 2004. You see people in intense terror, peril and horrifically injured throughout, which one of the main characters suffers a grisly flesh wound on her leg and graphically throws up blood clots from a collapsed lung. The tsunami disaster scene is realistic and people, including children, are seen thrown away by the sheer force of the water, crushed and impaled by the debris, and some are missing their loved ones - some believing they're gone. There are a few instances of graphic nudity, which one characters suffers an injury on her breast, where her nipple is exposed 2-3 times in the movie. Language is very infrequent, plus it's hard to understand by all the people screaming and shouting throughout. This movie brings groundbreaking and amazing performances by Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor, even the child actors' performances were brilliant and emotional. This movie definitely deserved the academy award, which it was only nominated?! Please...it deserved way more. This movie just shows you how much love and desperation this family puts through and it makes you feel like you're a part of their emotions and sadness throughout. Due to the intense thematic/emotional elements and the highly realistic, graphic nature of the tsunami aftermath makes it way too intense for children 12 and under. Teens and up should be able to handle the intensity.

Adult Written bywonder dove July 31, 2013

Good but not "Great".

I agree with a past review here, "Shivom Oza's" said exactly how I would have. Not moving enough. I think they could have done a lot better with this one. Story was good, acting was terrific, a few heart-wrenching moments but not enough to actually make you feel deeply for these people who went through such a terrible event. I wouldn't watch it again, but recommend a one time viewing. Violence is pretty bad, very gory sometimes, people are swept away separating from their loved ones, kids are missing and lost, all kinds of injuries, some yelling. Language has a kid cursing sometimes, no "f" words. Sexual content is not an issue although some non-sexual nudity (a bare breast is shown and seen by a kid). There's a bit of drinking. Overall, fine for 13+ who can handle some gore and frightening situations.

Parent of an infant, 3, and 6 year old Written byGambleFam May 5, 2013

Great "True Story"

Absolutely LOVED this movie! Very intense scenes, and one scene the mothers breast is visible in a non-sexual way. Lots of blood and deep gashes and terror. Overall a very well done movie, I highly recommend it for adults. Defiantly not for kids. It's a high PG-13 in my mind, with the breast I'm surprised it didn't get the R rating.

The MPAA seems to being more laxed every film, kind of sad. I remember "and I'm not that old" when movies that had any type of language where automatically flagged as R. And nudity! Oh wow, instant R. Times change...