All member reviews for The Joy Luck Club

Poignant tale of Chinese-American moms, daughters.

Adult Written bykungfuflypig April 9, 2008

{Grade: B+} I Just Couldn't Stop Watching It

"The Joy Luck Club" is one of those movies that hits you in every single part of of your body--but for some reason--you want to get hit more. I read the book before and i turned on the tv to TCM, to find a realistic drama of what a Chinese women really had to face. I was shocked. I personally lived in San Francisco as a Chinese kid, and i remember furniture--just like how i knew it. I remember my sister--she had to live in China--i never even knew how she looked like until i finally saw her all grown up.

All this and more happens in a finely crafted and complex masterpiece that we call "The Joy Luck Club"--the movie flashbacks eight women's journeys from China to present day America.

As i was watching i was flipping the channel to another thing because of the upsetting scenes, but for some reason, i wanted more. I really did, it was just so interesting the realism in the movie, and even the story (which can be conceived as a normal--realistic Chinese family struggle).

Parents... WATCH OUT! This movie is exactly how CSM says it is--gut-wrenching. You yourself may find yourself sobbing over the not-so-uncommon depressing flashbacks of the movie. For kids, they will not forget this movie, and all the emotional abuse upsetting themes will make them dream about it. Think about in school. All day long. That's why i would wait until you think your kids are mature enough to handle some brutal-but-heartwarming-material, and of course; the off screen violence, fully clothed sex-scene and sex-related themes.

This film should not be mossed, but especially by the Chinese--men and women--because they will be ready to taste some nostalgia.

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul 2.0;... April 9, 2008

A fantastic movie based on an even better book.

Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

Joyous at Times, but Not So for Families

The theme of this film is the relationship between mothers and daughters, which does provide a well-crafted collection of stories that intertwine like a Chinese tapestry. The fact that each daughter comes away with a deeper understanding of her mother, and vice versa, is lovely; however, the vehicles this film uses are not, at least for kids and young teens. Foul language, in English and Chinese, is semi-frequent. Violence, including the drowning of a live baby, is quite disturbing, particularly for Judeo-Christian families who are most likely pro-life. One of the daughters is also co-habitating with a boyfriend and using condoms, and there is at least one sex scene. Not for kids under 17 and 18, and even then, make sure your older teens are mature and ready for a discussion of this mixed-bag film.