Kid reviews for The King's Daughter

The King's Daughter Poster Image

Mostly appropriate, but not a very good movie

I watched this movie in the theater a little while ago and I was mostly disappointed. It wasn’t sexual or sweared. There was kissing and the king is mentioned as “sharing a bed” but for younger audiences they won’t understand. There are a few illustrations on the process to kill the mermaid and transport her life force to help the king live forever that are quite creepy and gave me a little jump but they aren’t too bad. Content wise it is totally fine, but I was disappointed in some other parts. The costumes aren’t very historically accurate and the women look more like flappers, which doesn’t exactly fit in. I also think the romance between the main character and love interest was totally forced and there was no need for it other than for Marie-Josephe to be mad about a forced marriage. There was some great representation with the handmaiden and the mermaid. The mermaid was gorgeous and absolutely stunning CGI melded with real actor. It was very artistic and pleasing to the eye. I personally think you shouldn’t waste your time with it.

Not for young children

It was pretty good a few things might not be ok for younger kids though.One character jumps off a cliff into the ocean to commit suicide where the mermaid saves her.The king makes references to sleeping with different women each night.The main character ties someone to a moving water mill so that he drowns.A man is shot and killed but the mermaid heals him.Main characters kiss.They talk about dissecting the mermaid.They’re is non colored drawings of the mermaid with a knife at her chest.My 10 year old sister was kind of scared but she was okay.No cursing.One thing I think that’s really important that common sense left out was the fact that it might give kids the idea of committing suicide.All together it was pretty good but not for young children that get scared easily.