All member reviews for The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea

An uninspired rehash of the first movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written byleftbehindcrazed8 January 9, 2011

melody's gone melody's gone melody's gone!!!

Used to be obsessed!!!! Although not even close to the original movie, still kid friendly with the same humor kids will like. I love the music in this movie, and the villain (Morgana) isn't as scary as Ursula was. So, great movie for kids 6+!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bydarrenc95 April 9, 2008

Boring sequel, not worth the time

A complete rip-off of the first movie, very unimaginative, and the new characters aren't even interesting.

Parent of a 5 year old Written bytoons27 January 25, 2010

A Waste of paper and ink

This movie is the worst sequel I've ever seen! The music was very cheesy. The plot is a rip-off of the first movie only kiddiefied and reversed. I like the character, Melody, but I wished she had more originality. I'm really annoyed that she's too much like Ariel. I'm really angry that Ariel became a mean parent-just like her father! Whoever directed this trash, must have forgotten that in the first movie, Ariel was fun, loving, spunky, and loved the sea. Eric, one of my favorite disney princes, is reduced to being a prop only dumber than Ariel! In the first movie, he was so awesome (and sexy)! In the second movie, he was just an empty vessel, mindlessly agreeing everything Ariel says. This movie is a waste of paper and ink.

Adult Written byCristopher Enriquez April 27, 2011

Cristopher's best movie

I love this movie & best movie in 2000.

Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 August 9, 2010

It is repetitive, but I like it

I really like this film, but I'm a big TLM fan. I do agree that the plot is the same as the first film, except Melody wants to be a mermaid. Also, Ariel isn't adventurous as she was before; she's like her dad. And most of the old characters barely appear here. But I still like it.
As for the content, violence mainly consists of some scenes of peril, but nothing too serious. No sex, really, except that two characters are married and one has a tiny crush on a boy. Language is just stuff like idiot, imbecile, etc.

Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater June 21, 2010

A rehash of the first movie, a bad disney sequel, not like Toy Story 2

I hate this movie.It's a rehash of the first movie kiddified and revesered to be like a edited R-rated movie. It's like the Deer Hunter(1978) becoming The Deer Lover and National Lampoon Vacation becoming National Kid Vacation . I say rent it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byRosebud95 September 16, 2010

Same plot

This movie was good, but the plot was basically the same as the 1st one, it was just the opposite. It might have been better if it was more different then the first one.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygolden96 August 17, 2009

Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 November 26, 2010

If I Was Hans Christian Anderson, I Would Be So Pissed Off At Disney Right Now.

I HATE THIS MOVIE! The Little Mermaid needed no sequel. This seems to occur often with Disney. They constantly put out sequels of movies that needed no sequel just to make money. These types of sequels absolutely suck. This is an absolute abomination to the story of the Little Mermaid. Never watch this movie. It's terrible.

Teen, 14 years old Written byNectaria August 31, 2009

Adult Written bydanielleb November 25, 2011

Learning About Growing Up

My daughter loves this. She is three and loves Ariel and everything about her. Ariel has never been a very good role model princess, and this sequel continues on the same path of rebellion and disobedience. However, it is less scary than the original, the music is memorable, and my daughter LOVES the relationship between Ariel and her baby, and then later Ariel and Melody as her daughter. She thinks it is great that Ariel is a mommy now and that has provided an interesting lesson for her on growing up and being a mom. It's nice for her to see her favorite Princess being an adult (firm, caring, and making her own mistakes even then).

Teen, 14 years old Written byEspumaMarina August 8, 2010

Of Course not as Good as the First

It was better than most Disney Sequils, but I think they could have made it better, some songs are catchy, most annoying, The animation could have been much better, but some parts were really pretty. It was pretty much like Ariel wanting to be human, except its her daughter, and she wants to be in the sea. What I think is weird is that her mother keeps her from the sea (to protect her from the villan) yet Melody can talk to a crab and seagull, and they build a wall instead of just moving away. At the beginning baby Melody was about to be eaten, I noticed Triton didn't do much about it, he has that stick thing, why didn't he just turn the shark into a little fish before? (Sorry if I'm spoiling anything) I mean this would have been an excellent story, they just needed to change it a little. Like Melody is really nieve, not even trying to think theres a reason shes banned from the ocean. Its weird how they change settings so quickly, first she's in a tropical paradise, then she's in an arctic tundra (she's bareshouldered so its weird how she doesnt seem cold at all) then she's in Atlantica, then she's back home, then she's back to the arctic tundra.. and when her mom goes to look for the run away Melody, she doesn't seem cold either! Plus its also weird how her arctic friends dont ever seem unconfortable in the climate changes. Ariel lost her charm, turned into a strict/ trying to be understanding, parent. Much like Simba in Lion King 2. If they changed a few things it would have been better, but it wasn't horrible, no yucky romance thes time.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDisney Lover April 9, 2008

Best Disney Sequel!!

I love this movie so much. I definately think that it is one of Disney's strongest straigh-to-movie sequels if not the best one. Melody is a character that kids our age can relate to. The only thing is her running away, but come on, it's not like The Little Mermaid II is going to persuade us to run away. This is a sweet tale about how one girl's wish to become a mermaid becomes true. The only thing I would even begin to think about when it comes to your "cleanliness" rating is Ariel and Eric kissing in the last scene. But that's not bad either. I just love this movie so much!!

Teen, 15 years old Written byDangerRanger101 August 12, 2013

Good sequel, not as good as the original.

I ambit, I haven't seen this movie since I was much younger. But, when I did see it I really liked it. Although, there are a few scenes that might scare really young kids like the sharks. Morgana can be a little intimidating but not as scary as Ursula. Some people complain that Morgana is a bad villain compared to Ursula, well she's at least a little bit intimidating unlike Marina DelRe who isn't even threatening. I don't really like how the plot is a little darker but that is one thing that kind of enhances the movie. Also, I don't see this movie as a "rip-off" I think it helps Ariel see what she was like when she was younger because of Melody; who is a really enjoyable character, by the way. Melody's parents do lie to her but it shows that Ariel and Eric will do anything to protect their daughter, it's a lot like what King Triton did for Ariel. Overall, I feel that this is an underrated movie and that it deserves a little more appreciation.