Parent reviews for The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid Poster Image

Notorious for having a golden phallus...

The VHS box isn't the only thing wrong with the movie. The underwater castle has numerous turrets that are shaped like a man's phallus and the movie also has a priest whom is experiencing an erection during a wedding between the prince and Ursala in disguise. There's other sexually explicit things shown in the background and there's nothing good morally to make up for it. Ariel is a disobedient teenager who is rewarded for her disobedience at the end of the movie. She "falls in love" with the prince based only on his looks. She finds a statue of him and rubs and caressess it in an inappropriate manner. She is told upon relinquishing her voice in a contract with a witch to become human that she would still have "body language" and the witch shakes her hips in a seductive manner while telling Ariel. Just purely disgusting. This is why "rule 34" on the internet is a thing and it's sick. Sick, sick, SICK film made by the SICKOS at Disney.

5 people found this helpful.

Not the movie I thought it was

Like many millennial parents, this was one of my favourites as a kid. So once my oldest got old enough to watch Disney movies I was excited to share this with her. I think I let her watch it when she was 4-5, but it is not the movie I remember. I really did not like the way that Ariel only saw Eric from a distance and was already will to defy her father and go to a witch and give up her voice in an extremely sketchy exchange. I know a lot of older Disney movies have this problem, but I didn't remember all of Ariel's irrational behaviour. And the way that Ursula told Ariel to use her body language. She was basically tell a 16 year old girl to go out of seduce someone. It all felt very inappropriate to me. Its still the great movie I remember otherwise, just not a good message for little ones. I wont be showing this one to my daughter again until she is much much older.

3 people found this helpful.

A classic that is being belittled by nonsensical complaints.

Ok, really? I can understand parents possibly worrying about the ending when Ursula becomes a giant and then how she dies, but ARIEL'S OUTFIT?! GET OVER IT!! Obviously cotton doesn't grow under the sea, and obviously the mermaid culture is different than the human culture in the movie. There are REAL cultures on Earth today that don't wear ANYTHING. Did anyone even notice that when Ariel became human she started wearing human clothes and they were pretty conservative? I was 3 when I first saw this movie, and I just thought Ariel was wearing a swimsuit. It's no worse than what children see other people wearing at the pool or beach. This is an AMAZING CLASSIC that Disney created. Every child should get to see it. Let them be kids!! I honestly think it's over-protective parents with complaints as frivolous as what Ariel is wearing are the cause of children being so out of control these days. Don't make a big deal over trivial things, and your children won't either. All in all, The Little Mermaid is a TERRIFIC movie that should not be missed!

3 people found this helpful.

not age appropriate

she leaves her family for a man she’s never met gets rid of her mermaid tale also they smoke pipe

2 people found this helpful.

Movie has dirty values

This contains sexual subliminal content. Definitely not suitable for children.

2 people found this helpful.

Should be NC-17

Horrible. I would give this 0/5 stars if it was an option. And also, where is the 95+ age?!

1 person found this helpful.
Pretty intense. Our 5 and almost 8yo were so scared we had to skip forward.

Radical Feminist Brainwashing needs to be ignored number 2

So what, Ariel "gave up her voice and tail for Eric"? She's a teenager, teenagers do this all the time. While Eric should love her even with her tail (which he probably does), Ariel didn't know that. She mainly changed not for him, but to be free and independent. She's not a bad role model. If anything, girls can relate to her.

No, no, NOPE

Ariel is shown numerous times wearing a bikini, and then it is later implied that she is naked. She trades her life in for a boy, and the ending was not necessary. Lots of violence there when Ursula gets mad. Ariel signs a deal with a sea witch, which seems to me like a deal with the devil. My poor christian kids will NOT be exposed to this stupid stuff.

Too darn scary

My 5yo said this was "the worst." Too scary, too many mean people, too much tricking.