Parent reviews for The Little Rascals (1994)

The Little Rascals (1994) Poster Image

Not as "bad" as some try to paint it as. We enjoyed it.

As you will see in other reviews this movie is painted as degrading to women, full of foul language and rife with sexual innuendo. I must say, there are a few uses of words that I don't particularly care for adding to my five-year-old's vocabulary. However, we do not live in bubbles. He's going to go out into the world and hear these things and I would rather he hear them in the safety of our home where I can explain that they are not appropriate words than have him hear them out in the world without me around and have no explanation offered. Also, there are plenty of sexual innuendos. However, they are extremely mild and will fly way over the heads of most kids. They are kind of like the Warner Brothers and other similar cartoons those of us growing up in the 80's and 90's used to see. It's so that parents watching with their kids have something to laugh at too and it's done in a cute, not vulgar way. The kid actors in this movie we're absolutely adorable and did a fantastic job. I can only imagine what the director, producers, and behind-the-scenes crew had to deal with trying to get kids this young to make an entire movie like this as the main characters, on screen the whole time. It's truly a testament to the tenacity it takes to make art sometimes. Anyway, my five-year-old son laughed and thought the characters were adorable. There is some kissing between Alfalfa and Darla and while I do not think kids that age should be pursuing the things they were pursuing in this movie it's so obvious that the kids are acting like adults that even my son mentioned that kids his age don't act like that. Be present during the movie while your children watch, be ready to answer questions and explain things, allow your children to experience the humor, and enjoy it for yourself. I thought it was adorable and funny. As I am present in my child's life and able to guide him as the good and the bad come at him from this world, I found this movie to be an innocent introduction into parts of that world that make it safe for me to guide him through as he navigates how those things work. Not an ugly or offensive movie at all. It pokes fun at the obviously flawed and sometimes irrational ways of mankind. It is a childish way to laugh at ourselves and I think that it is appropriate.

Outdated garbage

Revolting gender stereotypes. Sexualisation of 5 year Olds Anti gay humour Ugly language

Blatant Sexism Not Funny Or Acceptable When Couched in Nostalgia

I wish that I would not have had my 7 year old daughters watch this movie. This was a big parental Oops. I wish I would have read the CSM review prior to watching. While I appreciate that they tried to redeem in the end, e.g., Darla is the driver and Reba represents "best driver ever", it is not enough. My daughters were confused by the imposing of adult relationships upon children and sexualizing of little girls throughout this movie, and dramatic gender stereotyping. While this may have been what was funny about the original series, that was before my time and I don't think sexism or racism translates into 'funny' at this time or ever. Add in a special cameo appearance by Donald Trump and stir. I thought it was gross. I said for age 18 and up because it would be appropriate to include as an example in a college level feminism class of where we went wrong in history. Not recommended for any children at any age. Yuck.

Fun for Kids, Hilarious Comedy

Fun For Kids This is a film that will mostly be enjoyed by kids ages 6-12. For adults it might be somewhat drawn out and boring, or it could remind you of your childhood. There is no real bad language, so it's appropriate for kids.

Very serialized movie with excessive crude humor and language.

Good o'l school movie

As you can see many comment about feminism, anti-gay and what not stories - yes, it is true. World is not black and white, but also in between. My girls (6 and almost 8) had really fun time watching it - except I rised them to have strong self-esteem. They take things with grain of salt. If you try to wrap your kid in cotton wool, protect them from experiencing anything "gray" - skip this movie.

Unenlightened

I assumed that they would have updated this mess from the ‘30s, but within the first couple of minutes, I was forced to start explaining why the He-Man Woman Hater Club was supposed to be funny and rather than try to educate my kids on outdated gender tropes, I just put something else on. If you are the type of parent who is concerned about your kids becoming “too PC,” then this is probably a good choice.

Not what I was expecting

So, essentially, this movie is early Hollywood movie dramatics but played by very young children. There's far too much inuendo, and frankly, the sexist stereotypes are far too over the top. Back in the 90s I loved this kovie as a kid, but we were socially stunted in comparison to 2018. I don't find the man crazy kindergarten aged girls appropriate at all, and the boys are supposed to be "manly" men, it's just a very dated plot and I don't know anyone who would think this was remotely appropriate. It's not like I don't appreciate comical gender stereotypes in shows or movies, I just prefer those kinds of things remain as adult based comedies, not movies targeted towards children. We watched the movie for less then half an hour before I was so grossed out that we turned it off and put on something more age appropriate. I agree this would make an excellent critique in a social studies class.