Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 61 parent reviews

Sort by:

Lord of the Rings

I watched the movie when it first came out, at the age of 5. I never had any problems with nightmares or thought any part was too scary. There is some violence, but isn’t there even more in superhero movies of today? The point of the film is to follow the main party of “good guys” as they race towards their goal of ending an ultimate evil. It is a wonderful educational film with lots of great teaching points throughout.

4 people found this helpful.

Violent but quality moral storytelling

Depends on what your child is into. These movies are long, with extensive combat scenes and often gory. Less ‘fun’ than early Harry Potter films, but no scarier than the later ones. No sex or foul language. Powerful moral messages. Plenty of heroes, villains and more complex characters to discuss. Watched all three with a reasonably mature 9yo who absolutely loved them.

Beautifully done movie!

I’ve seen all three of these movies multiple times and could go on watching them for years to come, their absolutely AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL!!! the casting and acting were on point, there were parts that weren’t in the book but overall, it was great. I’m 18 years old and am by nature a more sensitive person, but the orcs and grossness didn’t bother me very much, but yes, they are gross, there is lots of gruesome battles and sword fights but there isn’t much blood, characters get hurt and brutally killed but a lot of it happens off screen, my 13 year old brother’s seen it but he’s able to handle gruesome things, overall I’d recommend these movies for teens ages 16 and up but it’s totally up to you.

2 people found this helpful.

Great movie, but scarier and more violent then some kids can handle.

You would be hard pressed to find a more iconic or better directed fantasy series than Lord of the Rings. The story and visual styles bring the novels to life almost perfectly. But despite the films beautiful visuals and generally positive messages, there are some scenes which are dark enough to terrify some younger viewers. (They certainly scared me when I was young). Violence: The vast majority of violence in this movie is carried out on the only roughly humanoid Orcs and Goblins. They have black blood, softening the impact of the violence against them to an extent. However, they also suffer injuries far more graphic than any human would receive with a PG-13 rating. Orcs are shot in the face with arrows, have limbs severed, and in some cases decapitated. (One of these decapitations results in a torrent of the creatures dark blood erupting out of its neckhole like a geyser.) However, there still is some violence against more human looking creatures. People get shot with arrows and stabbed in several scenes. One of which contains the image of a human corpse floating in a stream with a red shroud of his own blood enveloping him. A figure clad entirely in armor has his fingers cut off during a battle. One character takes numerous injuries before finally being killed. One battle between two wizards involves them both flinging each other around with magic, leaving painful looking bloody gashes on their foreheads. Scariness: Certain magical forces are accompanied by abnormally loud noises. There is a jump-scare in one scene where a kindly old man suddenly screams at the camera as his teeth sharpen into fangs and his eyes narrow to resemble those of a wolf or other predator. Positive messages and role models:The Film's heroes all vow to put their lives on the line to save their realm, (and some do make the ultimate sacrifice). This is best personified by Frodo, the main character, and his friends; who leave the comforts of their home and willingly embark on the dangerous quest to save others. The film conveys a message of perseverance, ultimately stating that people cannot choose when important things happen in their lives, only how they will react to them. The film generally argues that your life is shaped by how you act in the face of hardship, rather than your happiness during times of comfort.

2 people found this helpful.

Very terrific but has some brutal violence

This is more intense then the hobbit there is not only some violence but some is brutal I think the hobbit movies are better but this one is more intense then the hobbit there is still low level violence but it is more intense then the hobbit still. violence6%10 there is one big battle and supernatural creatures attack them one of them is a huge monster with fire on it and one of them is a huge troll . A few characters are drowned by a huge wave and one is burned orcs are more gross then the hobbit in one scene there is a horse chase and characters get trampled stabbings arrow shooting the main character gets stabbed twice but lives and his best friend nearly drowns . In the end battle one character gets shot with arrows and the first arrow shoots him in the heart he dies there is blood shown and an orcs arm is chopped of . So yeah that’s it . Thank you for reading my review and my next review will be for lord of the rings the tow toures my rating PG- 13 for low level violence
1 person found this helpful.

best movie of all time

Morality Lessons

Great story and visuals but may be a bit frightening for kids under 7. PG -13 rating seems excessive. PG seems fine along with an exercise in judgement based upon the individual child.

Lots of action, good battle scenes, but some scary parts; not for young children.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is one of the biggest trilogies of all time

Its first volume, like the other two, has earned a colossal success as what it genuinely deserves. It has been nominated as well as acquired numerous sets of awards – proof of its extraordinaire quality, one can say. Nonetheless, it is indeed worth watching, for it is a one-in-a-million obra maestra. As a prime testament, the plot, graphics, cinematography, and the ensemble cast are noteworthy. It transcended the people’s expectations and the “standard.” The storyline is simply phenomenal. And in regard to its visuals, even with small CGI used, it is exceptionally good to the eye, especially with its ably-detailed, well-designed and proficiently-crafted studio backgrounds, props, and wardrobes, not to mention, the real settings. Furthermore, the iconic characters are played by outstanding actors (Elijah Wood as Frodo, Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Orlando Bloom as Legolas, etc.) which makes the acting and scenes more memorable, and impactful. Besides, it contains good humor, too - from the characters, especially the Dwarf. It is convincing that each one’s individual and group performances connect us to the characters deeper and let us feel all sorts of emotions such as happiness, pain, sorrow, and nostalgia – which is great. Also, its musical scores bring you excitement, at the same time, tranquility. They’re all “musically complex, with certain themes constantly winding in and out of individual pieces to reinforce motifs and emotion.” (Cummins, 2018) Somehow, we, the audience, are manipulated and unknowingly make us dive into the screen with these serene splashes of sounds – an ideal match in an entertainment. And although this story is fictional, the messages, and the circumstances in the story depict realities in life. As it unfolded, it revealed a lot of lessons that are relevant in our lives. One of them can be reflected in the quote of the character named Gandalf, who said that “All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” It reminds us of how abstract our lives can be in a lifetime. Truly, the movie has always been popular with the general audience, may it be from kids to adults, because it is undeniably a great piece of art. The nuggets of wisdom that could be acquired in this film are tremendous, and watching it multiple times will surely make you say that it never gets old. It is even getting more interesting, in the second time around for one could see more intricate details of the movie that you might have missed before. For me, to put all of it simply, on a scale of 1-10, this film is a perfect one hundred. And if one haven’t watched it yet, what all we can say is “You missed a half-cycle of your life, my precious.”

Fun Fantasy Saga

Slightly violent but enjoyable nonetheless. Recommended for 11-12+ if your child can handle a bit of violence and gore.