Parent reviews for The Muppet Christmas Carol

The Muppet Christmas Carol Poster Image

An absolute classic for the holidays

One of the best adaptations of the classic Christmas story, to the point where I now think a non-Muppet edition is lacking something. Funny, poignant and ultimately heartwarming, with a couple of catchy songs - this one has pretty much everything, plus Michael Bloomin’ Caine! There’s nothing overtly scary in it, but I’d agree with CSM that younger or sensitive kids seeing it for the first time might need a little bit of reassurance when the 3rd ghost shows up. It’s ominous rather than frightening but sensitive kids might need a snuggle until the happy ending materialises. Highly recommend this one.

The best Christmas Carol movie

What a gem this movie is. The best version of the story that stands the test of time.

Great family movie!

A great family Christmas movie! You and your family will share lots of laughs. It is worth watching. Any age will love it.

This is the only way to view Dickens' Christmas Carol (Scrooged notwithstanding)

This is the only way to view Dickens' Christmas Carol. It is poetic, it is a little scary and it embraces its relationship with the muppets, the audience and Caine. Who knew that this was the way the Dickens classic needed to be told, with muppet charisma and superior Caine acting. The two actors in this film that fully understood the material...Caine and Gonzo, hands down.

NOT as gentle and fuzzy

I would not recommend the movie for children under the age of 8. The Spirit of the Future is especially scary and dark. The Spirit of the Past is too eery. Michael Caine is great as Scrooge but again not a gentle take on the Classic with all those scary elements to consider.

One of the best Christmas family movies!!

I LOVE this movie! Even though I didn't get the chance to watch it as a kid and instead now as an adult, I still love it! It is a very charming adaptation of Charles Dickens classic tale. And I love that it is a musical. The songs are so beautiful and really has that Disney magic to it. Perfect for a full length movie. And the acting is great too. Michael Caine is excellent in the role as Scrooge! And the chosen roles for the other characters are very cute too. Like Kermit as Bob Cratchit and Miss Piggy as Emily Cratchit are very sweet. I also like how they kinda tell in the beginning of the movie who the author of the story is, so it doesn't go completely over the heads of the younger kids. The scenes with the darker elements, like the ghost scenes, might be a little scary for the smaller children, but they don't last very long. I've watched it both in the English original and in the Swedish dub (because it's in Sweden where I live) and I personally feel the dub is very great too. And you don't really need to be a fan of The Muppets to enjoy this. This movie can actually be a nice introduction to them and to the Christmas Carol, of course. It works so well as a Christmas movie in general and I can totally see why this movie has been such a big part of so many people's childhood. Will definitely be a new tradition for my home to watch this, among many other movies, around Christmas time. Totally recommend this gem for the whole family!

Disappointing

My kids are big fans of the Muppets, but the whole family found this adaptation to be pretty blah. It's very dark visually and seemed really drawn out for kids. Closer to the actual Dickens version than the Disney version, but it lacked the charm and humor of the usual Muppet productions - especially on the musical numbers which are very minimal. Was hoping this would become a holiday staple, but we will stick with Mickey's Christmas Carol.

A great introduction for young viewers to the standard story.

A Christmas Favorite

This version of the Christmas Carol is my favorite. Even as a grandparent, I love the way Jim Hansen delivers a truly classic tale. Michael Caine is brilliant and the music is catchy uplifting and wonderful. I can’t believe anyone would not consider this a great movie . We love it, and have made it an annual watch on Christmas Eve. Because of the stories line with ghosts appearing, perhaps children under seven might not care for yet, but they will. I recommend highly this movie if you were a fan or not of the Muppets.