Parent reviews for The Princess and the Frog

The Princess and the Frog Poster Image

More Joyful than Scary, great music & art

This movie is joyful and beautiful. It is scary yes but the reviews here are disproportionate in how they review other equally scary movies. raya & dragon is way scarier and more dystopian than this movie and the reviews here noting the death of one character disregard that almost every disney or pixar movie has a much more traumatic depiction in of a more gutting loss of parent or grandparent . The voodoo character is scary but this villain is not scarier than ursula in little mermaid . I wish we had more movies like this

2 people found this helpful.
The setting of New Orleans was amazing, and shared a lot about the culture there. The romantic interest being lighter than the female main character is very important, as in media, the vast majority of portrayed black relationships will have the female romantic interest as lighter than the male. The diverse cast of majority black characters meant that there were very few characters that served as negative black stereotypes. Naveen makes remarks about characters that can be considered fatphobic, but this is part of characterising him as a little obnoxious before his character growth. The voice acting was lovely. There was a visual joke with a homophobic punchline, but it would probably go over most kids' -- and inattentive viewers'-- heads. A main character dies, but it's sentimental and not graphic. Some scenes could be considered scary, regarding the voodoo.

Scary scenes

I had to fast forward and skip a lot of this movie with my 6 year old. The shadow people, and the whole voodoo theme are not desirable.

WARNING: Spoilers Inside Of This Review

Lil' Bit and Sweets love Disney movies so we wanted to check this one out. Ray's death was sudden and terrifying for them so we didn't push them to watch it anymore. Not letting them see it again.

Disappointed.

The voodoo images and content were very scary for my 2 boys, ages 4 and 6. I can not believe this movie is rated G! I kept thinking the movie would get better, but I was disappointed that so much of the movie highlighted darkness (Voodoo). Now I know most Disney movies have good and evil...but this one left me wanting a lot less evil and a lot more good.

Very dark! Very scary!

I hated this movie. There is so much voodoo in it. I would hate for a child to think that voodoo was cool. I pre-watched it for my pre-schoolers. There's no way that I'll ever let me kids watch this one. Which is really too bad, because I love the heroine. She's strong and doesn't need anyone to rescue her, etc.

1 person found this helpful.

Disappointing and too much for a disney movie

I really wish I had watched this movie by myself before showing the children. Voodoo and bad spirits are not something I think my kids need to see in a disney movie. Although I have said older kids would be better I am not sure how that would go either because we were lucky that some of the not so nice stuff in the movie went over our kids head. As an adult I found it creepy how one of the characters was killed. Not something I would watch again.

1 person found this helpful.
I felt this movie had an evil undertone and was VERY scary for my 6 year old and my 4 year old. I would not recommend this movie to anyone who has kids that are under 8 at least.

1 person found this helpful.

Will not recommend to anyone.

Disney normally means great storyline, great songs & great animation. That was mostly true. Unfortunately, The Princess & The Frog also had way to much "evil" -- even for a Disney movie, where there's always a bad guy. Marketed to little children, yet full of voodoo, tarot cards and demons. Not what I want my kids seeing at any age. For us, the songs & love story were completely negated by the dark side of the story. Will not recommend to anyone.

1 person found this helpful.
To much voodoo stuff. Too scary.