All parent member reviews for The Princess Bride

Adult Written bycourtwork June 26, 2013

Quality film - tops

What a treat! I watched this movie with my 10-year-old boy, and we both loved it. The superior quality of this film gave me pause: by comparison, contemporary films are more formulated and sacrifice quality for consumerism, in my opinion. The cast is wonderful, and the script is clever and entertaining. Rob Reiner's talent shines through in every moment and aspect of the film. It is witty, creative, and charming with fun twists and turns. The sword duels are beautifully choreographed. The characters have integrity and tenderness, but they're also tough and intelligent. Even though the movie was made in the late 80's, there is enough action and excitement to keep it engaging even now. There is no reliance on the film tricks of today that deliver jolts per second of one kind or another to keep audiences hooked. We stay hooked by a well crafted tale expertly portrayed by the actors. It was so fun to watch with my little boy, particularly because of Reiner's timing in moving from plot to subplot. During the scary or romantic scenes, just when my son would become nervous or "grossed out," the film switches back to Peter Falk as the grandfather, reading to Fred Savage, then 11 years old, as the grandson. The timing was impeccable - Fred Savage's character was equally nervous about perilous scenes or grossed out by the kissing scenes - so there was an implied kinship between the boys. It was adorable! As for the sexual/romantic content, this is a sweet movie about young true love. I far prefer the lauding of the perfect breasts of "Wesley's" true love than the sexualization and objectification of women's parts that happens in more contemporary media. I confess that I missed the torture scene this time around, but having read previous posts, I asked my son if it was too intense for him, and he said no. I not only applaud Reiner and the cast for this wonderful film, I gladly recommend this film to anyone ages 9 and up. It's a classic.

Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

The Best Family Fairy Tale Style Romance Adventure

Adult Written byJjSmihal April 9, 2008

My favorite fun movie of all time

I love this movie. I saw it when I was in college and fell in love with it. I love that it is a basic good versus evil plot, I love that the characters are complex, I love the lack of foul language, I love the humor. I watched this with my four year old daughter. She was unimpressed. I don't think she got enough of it. We will watch it again (I own it on DVD!)

Please, please read the book. You will not regret it!

Adult Written byIngrid922 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bysmoothmoves97 December 11, 2009

Very good movie and actors!

this movie is very good. the exclamation 'christ!,' 'oh God!', and 'Jesus!' are used once or twice (because of COURSE you can't have a movie these days without swearing... *rolls eyes* There is also a scene where the princess has a dream about a woman. The woman starts booing the princess, getting closer to the camera. the woman looks like a stereotypical witch, with warts, and angry eyebrows. I myself didn't really care about the ROUSes because i knew they weren't real. But they could scare little kids.

Parent of a 5 year old Written bycarrieann45710 May 25, 2009

Beware of violence, suggestive humor, and a scene involving contemplated suicide--not appropriate for very young viewers.

This is a wonderful movie which incorporates the lost art of chivalry and relatively clean, witty humor. However, there is considerable drama and violence, and I would not yet show this movie to my six-year-old daughter. I am the old-fashioned type, however, who is still flaberghasted to see people bring their 8 year-olds to a PG-13 movie. There are a couple of issues not listed on the main review that are a cause for concern, specifically in the scene when the heroine holds a dagger to her breast and intends to commit suicide--which is an issue for me when it comes to younger viewers. The hero makes the comment, "There is a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours." This has obvious sexual implications. Nontheless, I look forward to sharing this romantic comedy with my daughter--in three or four years.

Adult Written byLANESISUNG April 5, 2009

Awesome Movie for Kids

kids will love this funny romantic fairytale.

Adult Written byCyclone411 January 16, 2009

It's good and it's not good

I first saw it in college when I had some friends who constantly quoted it and said it was the best movie ever. I enjoyed it but wasn't overwhelmed by it. The scene I loved best and most remembered was the duel of wits between Carey Elwes and Wallace Shawn over which cup had the poison. That is great stuff.

I viewed it again this year, considering whether it would be right for my 8 year old daughter. You know what surprises me? The other reviewers either dismiss as "mild" or ignore the torture machine scene. There is no way I am showing that to my daughter. I find it unsettling at my age. Is no one else bothered by the screams as all the life is literally sucked out of Westley? I know we're supposed to go with the deadpan "scientific curiosity" of toruturer, but this scene is really quite horriffic.

Also, I have to saw that I don't care for any aspect of the Magic Max scenes - not funny, not even well acted.

Adult Written bysandia829 April 9, 2008

LOVE

Ok, so I was freaked out by the ROUS when I was like 4... had nightmares... but this is actually one of my favorite movies of all time. Every memebr of my family knows the whole thing by heart and we never tire of it.

Adult Written byPhoebeana March 25, 2012

GREAT FAMILY FILM

I think this movie is Fantastical! The characters are all very well developed and you will be enchanted by them all. Some of the humor is a bit crude for younger children and one of the characters has a drinking problem, but other than that it's a great family film with good morals, good role models and a slab of educational value.

Parent Written byJeffrey S February 5, 2012

Sweet, Classic Movie for Most Ages. Language/Plot Concerns for Younger Kids

One of my favorite movies of all time, and since I remembered it having only fanciful violence, we gave it a try. On viewing, our 6 year old got some of the jokes, but got a little lost because a lot of the plot is revealed in the rapid dialogue instead of on the screen (Why was the Pirate bad, but now good? Why was the Prince good, but now bad?). I don't think we ruined him for an older viewing, but this might be better for for a 8+ year old to keep up with the plot twists.

The language at times is strong (including by young Fred Savage character). The torture scene and final sword battle also will require some parental guidance for younger viewers.

Parent of a 2, 4, and 6 year old Written bytownba June 7, 2010

Great movie has some scary bits, a small amount of violence, and a quick “SOB”

Our precocious four-year-old daughter loves this movie and will beg to see it for days. And, since I love it too, I have no problem watching it with her.

The only real note I have is about a very brief bit of questionable language. Right before one character stabs another with a sword, he says, “I want my [spoiler], you son of a b****!” A very moving part of the movie, and a quick mute/unmute can keep young ears from hearing (and later repeating) something like that.

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byparent_of_2g February 21, 2010

Great for family movie night.

This movie is a family favorite at our house. There are a few moments that might be a little scary for younger viewers so be careful if your kids are easily upset by that. The story is funny and heartwarming. Good triumphs over evil and love conquers the day, but not sappy, just funny.

Adult Written byJETunnell December 31, 2009

Simple Comedy You'll Remember Forever!

I think this movie is great! I am a youth leader, and wanted to show it to the youth group at our "new years all nighter"! I believe it is a very funny, and entertaining movie and story. A must watch (at least once)!

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byMeerkatDad October 12, 2009

A True Family Favorite

Unendingly witty and engaging story of courage and True Love triumphing. Our family has enjoyed it many times and will do so many more. It's a reference standard for us of good movies. Our 5-year son is not concerned by the scarier stuff; for more impressionable kids it might make sense to wait a few years.

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byBelmontfamily July 21, 2009

Perfect for adults.

It was okay, but it was extremely violent. It had blood in it and would give little kids nightmares. (Review by my 7.5 year old son - who saw it at camp).

Adult Written byNormalMom April 28, 2009

misogynistic and violent

Two things alarmed me about this movie .. on the surface the torture scene was more than I wanted my 6-yr-old to watch. Deeper than that, the movie is misogynistic .. the lead female character is literally just brought along while all the action takes place among the men.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byfierce_mink_2000 April 9, 2008

Even though I'm the world's biggest prude...

I let my 4 year old watch this movie, because it's my favorite movie in the world. It's not sooo bad...*blush* Ok, yeah, so there's torture, death by poisoning yada yada yada. It's a great movie. And as other reviewers mentioned, it's all pretty cartoony. I agree with the reviewer who said this is on the very mild side of pg. It's certainly not G by any means, but it's much milder than many pg movies, and considering there are still G movies I don't let my kid watch because of violence or drug use, this movie's doing well.

Adult Written byyami0204 April 9, 2008

I <3 this movie!

I remember first watching this when it came out on video. I fell in love instantly. A wonderful story of love! The fights scenes are a little intense, but the witty banter between sword strikes is classic! This movie is just beautiful! =D

Adult Written byacubound05 April 9, 2008