Parent reviews for The Sound of Music

The Sound of Music Poster Image

1 person found this helpful.

Not for young children!!!

Here is another rare CSM age rating I disagree with. While most of the movie is great for all ages, who believes that a family of children running for their lives from the Germans is suitable for kids under 12?!?! This would be scary as heck. This is definely a timeless classic that everyone should see but it is NOT appropriate for 6 year olds as the CSM rating suggests.

Boring!

1 person found this helpful.

Completely delightful - but stop early for sensitive kids!

A fun, uplifting movie full of positive messages - until it gets a little scary. On the plus side: joyous music, the transformation of a man opening to life, a young woman coming into her own, and lovely messages in song about how changing how you look at things can shift your whole life (such as My Favorite Things and I Have Confidence in Me). Stopping at the end of the wedding scene is a good idea for any sensitive kid, no matter what their age. Following another reviewer's suggestion, I watched with my 5 and 9 year old daughters until there. Then I checked out the rest of it on my own (it has been a really long time since I watched it!). While there is nothing obviously scary right away to children who are seeing it and have no context for, say, marching soldiers or the Nazi flag, this was enough to get my nerves going a bit and my girls are sensitive enough to pick up on that! And the tempo sort of picks up bit by bit from there. But do watch the first part! Lovely fun, much slower paced than today's movies (so good for us sensitive types) and lots of positive stuff. Enjoy!

It's A Classic But That Language Is BAD

Edelweiss

In time for the 4th of July parties. This controversial musical is about the Trapp family in Austria that ends on the run. There is many bouncy classic songs that could fit into My Little Pony, as war rear it´s ugly head under the happy lyrics. Many schlager songs has a dark meaning under their bouncy tunes. So watch this if you and your family as over 2 hours for some Hollywood nostalgia. In consumerism Austra in violence the theme is WW2 and a flirty song.

Just so you know I’m 14 using my moms account

One of my all time favorite movies is emotional, funny, heart-felt, and has great songs. The end is a little intense there is a gun it is never fired everyone makes it out alive. The acting is incredible, especially Charmian Carr, Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews. Please watch!

The Hills are alive!

I might be biased, since this is my favorite movie ever, but i think it's just so Heartwarming, Exciting, & full of great family values! & who doesn't love Julie Andrews? Please enjoy this beloved classic, you'll remember your favorite things!

Mesmerizing film has uplifting tones, great role models but intense scenes at the climax

The Sound of Music is a classic film following the life of Maria, the governess of a family living in soon-to-be Nazi occupied Austria. Throughout, expect great role models, uplifting themes and sequences of suspense towards the end along with light thematic material throughout involving Nazi’s. VIOLENCE: NONE A man is held at gunpoint towards the end, a family narrowly escapes armed Nazi’s attempting to do harm to the family. No violence whatsoever in the film, however the ending is filled with suspense (see FRIGHTENING/INTENSE SCENES). LANGUAGE: VERY MILD One mumbled use of “Jesus” heard in a crowd which is incredibly hard to hear, several uses of “heil Hitler” in a historical mannerism, several instances of a Nazi salute which is also used in a historical manner. ALCOHOL/DRUG CONTENT: MILD The baroness smokes cigarettes in a few scenes, we see a formal party where guests drink a multitude of alcoholic beverages responsibly, a teenage girl (16) asks if she can have her first champagne which her father declines, adults drink lemonade with alcohol in it making comments such as “…it’s not too sweet, it’s not too sour, it’s just too pink!”. SEXUAL CONTENT: VERY MILD Several romantic kissing scenes along with many love related scenes, however absolutely nothing sexual happens and all of this is purely romantic and child friendly, however the prolonged kissing may be awkward. FRIGHTENING/INTENSE SCENES: MILD Towards the end, Nazis them rested to take the husband of the family and presumably even harm the members of the family as they outrun them. They are shown hiding behind objects, driving away from the nazi’s, the husband narrowly avoids being shot by a nazi, intense music plays during the scenes of peril. OVERALL: 6+ for some peril and casual smoking/drinking

Musical Masterpiece With Hefty Runtime

As a child I always hated watching films over two hours long, and this film is such a masterpiece and such a joy to watch, you don’t want your child to hate The Sound Of Music, so maybe watch one hour at a time so it’s enjoyable and digestible, if you child doesn’t want to stop watching after an hour, that’s a good sign! Just make sure your child knows that if they want to take a break then that’s okay.