All parent member reviews for The Tree of Life

Parent Written byRIghtCoastMadman July 4, 2011

Got be in the right mood for this one.. not a pick me up movie.

Hard to sit thru. Imagery & cinematography are awe inspiring, but way too cerebrial.

Adult Written byterra100 December 2, 2011

A serenely beautiful film that is only difficult if you don't open your mind and imagination

I think the summary of "difficult" by Common Sense Media is unfortunate. This is NOT a difficult movie. Yes, it is a bit poetic. Yes, it is unique. But I think the ability to enjoy this film is relative to one's artistic education and one's spirituality.

I saw this film with my mature 17 year old who is an artist. I've taken her to a lot of art films, and she gobbles them up. She is well read, can see metaphors and symbolism in art and films, and is able to serve up critical thinking skills after seeing films. Both my 17 year old and I LOVED this film.

Unfortunately, however, after the film two women came up to us and asked about all the imagery included in the film -- "What was all that?" These women were obviously a product of American "serve it to you" entertainment. My daughter and I gave them some ideas of how the imagery was metaphorical and literal and how it served the larger piece. It opened their eyes. The imagery in this film portrays feelings, thoughts, ideas, resolution, grief, hope, life, God, and hundreds of your own personal thoughts -- they also directly relate to the ideas and writer's intent in the film. Open your mind. Open your imagination.

If you are over 35, I think you will really enjoy this film. There's a lot of period material here that will move you. AND this film is NOT a downer. It is a beautiful film about life, hope, and the hereafter.

Parent of a 14 and 19 year old Written byheyz32 November 20, 2011

thought provoking

not the type of movie most americans would like, kind of hard to sit through if you are used to the normal type of movie with the hero / villain type setup. not a glossed over family life type of movie, depicts real life sadness and struggles of everyday american family that although we may not enjoy watching as much allows one opportunity for own personnal assessment. has a foreign film type of random flow with decentralized plot. Young teenagers will require more mature development for their age to appreciate.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byRKraybill November 26, 2011

Very slow and confusing

Redefines slow. I was waiting for it to end from about 10 minutes in. We had finally decided to turn it off when it did end...though we didn't realize it for a while.
Nice imagery, though.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byDaphne Church October 13, 2011

A Brad Pitt Movie That Is Actually Hard to Watch...

Wow, I wish I read this before I rented it. The reviewer is right, this movie is VERY difficult to get through. While visually compelling, their is very little story line, and what story there is, is just too sad. As a parent, I always find it very difficult to watch movies where children die and leave their parents to cope with their loss. This is probably most appropriate for art film buffs, but not those of you who were looking forward to watching these two amazing actors share the silver screen.

Adult Written bydvdkid13 December 18, 2011

Not for everyone

Although this movie contains virtually no objectionable content, it isn't a movie for everyone. This movie tackles tough existential questions, and to do that, it disregards conventional movie-making tactics such as plot, and sometimes dialogue. For those who can deal with that, this movie is moving and enlightening and will stay with you long after you finish the movie. One suggestion is to go into the movie with an open mind, and by the end of the movie, you will certainly have a greater appreciation for the world around you.

Adult Written byMarvelous1 February 17, 2012

Very Artsy

Great for art film enthusiasts. NOT for young audiences or home/family entertainment. Provokes questions about human relationships, relationship with God, etc. Beautiful, but not for the entertainment seeker.

Parent Written bymr jag December 28, 2012

Beautiful and moving, but sad and difficult to get through

Incredibly well-filmed, beautiful cinematography, and quite moving. But also very sad. Even with the positive resolution at the end, I found this difficult to watch - the family dynamics, and the foreknowledge of the tragedy during the flashbacks made this emotionally difficult for me to watch.
I'm glad I finished watching the film, but it's a very different experience. In order to enjoy and get something from this film, young adults will need to be able to grasp both abstract concepts, as well as to be able to handle a child's death.