Parent reviews for Vivo

Vivo Poster Image

Brilliant BUT deals with Death & Suicide.

If you have a high EQ or empathic child, wait until they are older. My son is 7 about to be 8, and while he enjoyed this movie he had a melt down when it was over and was unable to talk about it. The next day he said the movie was too sad with too many big feelings and he'd rather not watch it again. The movie deals with death, things unsaid, some ruminating on what life could have been, and touches on survivors guilt. I could have done with out the animal wanting to end his life because he hadn't found love in 8 mating seasons and therefor felt unlovable & unworthy of life. That being said, these are big concepts for little people. To be fair, they can fly right over the heads of some, but not others. So really consider your kid(s) personality (ies) before watching. Really Good parts: VERY COLORFUL and the music is FANTASTIC. I thought it did a great job in capturing the LatinX community with out being stereo typical or derogatory. The overall message is to be brave enough to dance to the beat of your own drum and life is too short to be afraid to say the things that should be said or live with regret.
8 people found this helpful.

Too sad

This movie is very sad. My 8 year old cried almost through the whole movie. There is a death at the beginning and the theme continues throughout the whole film. I think children should be exposed to a range of complex emotions including grief, however in my opinion this movie is way too heavy for many children. At the end of the film both of my children wondered out loud (through their tears) why people would make such a movie.
5 people found this helpful.

Funny, entertaining & heartwarming

I was pleasantly surprised by how great this movie was for our entire family. I do love Lin-Manuel Miranda, so I expected to like it, but it was such a wonderful story, and I ended up ugly crying by the end because it was just so touching. My kids were engaged through the whole thing, even my busy 5 year old who usually loses interest half way through full length films. My partner and I were laughing out loud throughout, right along with the kids. The music is catchy and there are several really beautiful ballads, too. There are sad elements (loss of loved ones), but nothing is overt, and the characters have their feelings and learn and grow through their grief. There is one scary section in the Everglades, as well, where the main characters encounter vicious crocodiles and snakes with glowing eyes, but the main characters come out unscathed. All in all this is well worth the watch for just about everyone in the family. Highly recommended!

1 person found this helpful.

Too sad for 13 under

I cried my eyes out. I agree younger kids shouldn't watch this. The way they took out old man was unnecessary, I thought it was going to be about a monkey over coming his fears and performing at the show 🤷🏽‍♀️. Super sad.

We all love this

I love the way it handles difficult issues and shows how resilient they are and they won’t give up. We love the soundtrack and everything about it is positive. We love the diversity and it’s a beautiful movie

Great music, great characters

I enjoy watching this over and over again with my girls. All the music is great. It is full of vibrant colors and clever animation styles. There is a scary python scene, but it didnt bother my daughter, whom is usually sensitive to seeing violence or scary scenes. Highly recommend

Vivo Review

As a dad and loving watching movies and playing video games, Vivo just wasn't one of my favourite films, although my kids loved it! They were dancing to all the songs and everything. The death at the start of the film was a bit shocking but my kids just watched it, they know why it happened. But a disclaimer is that if your kids don't know or haven't seen death in real life or just in pop culture then I would say don't watch it. Overall, I would rate it a 3.5/5

My six year old loved this movie

Just all around excellent animated kids movie. It made me cry - but I'm a softie. My son has been singing all of the songs since he watched it. It explores difficult topics in sensitive, well thought out ways.

Best film for calming my son

My 18 month old is showing signs of autism and can be very difficult to calm down but omg this film is my life saver it calms him instantly every time. He loves it its on about 3 times a day nothing else calms him. Now i need to find how to get him to eat.