Kid reviews for Vivo

Vivo Poster Image

It was a little hard getting used to Hamilton being a kinkajou

My opinion is the movie was pretty good. I really liked the songs and it had pretty good humor and adventure. when Andres dies it might be to sad for young viewers. All in all I say it was a pretty good Netflix film

1 person found this helpful.

NOT what you'd expect

THIS MOVIE IS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS, DO NOT SHOW THIS TO YOUR KIDS. As a 15 year old, I was terrified while watching this movie. There's many instances of animal abuse, specifically of a monkey. Characters also abuse alcohol and hard drugs. This movie even encourages young children to steal and disobey their parents. I seriously don't understand what gave them the idea to think this movie was okay for kids. If I ever have kids in the future, this is the one movie that would be completely off limits. Absolutely disgusting.

Creative and whimsical

Fun, whimsical, and it has great role modals. My younger sister (age 7) was singing along with the movie the whole time!

Upbeat movie but does deal with death

This was an upbeat movie with fun music and colorful scenes! Very cultural and diverse. One “scary” scene where stigma that snake chases after them but nothing bad happens in the end. The only thing I'd want to prepare you for is there is one sad death in the beginning...In the end is a good message though: the main character learns to accept his death even though he misses him and it’s hard to process. Overall I really liked it! There was fun songs and vivid scenes, Recommend!!!

Sad

This movie was really good but I’m 15 and I cried through the whole thing. The recurring theme of death really made me just sob. I don’t recommend watching if your really susceptible to any kind of depressing themes. I loved all in all and recommend if you really just need a good cry. But the music is fun and Lin Manuel Miranda’s role in the movie is perfect.

not very great

I have seen worse movies but this movie is just bland and unengaging

A film that tried hard to become a classic, but failed miserably

Before I say how much I disliked this film, I want you to know that I understand this was created with younger kids aged around 4-8 in mind and that I wasn't expecting to enjoy it that much. Pros: *Animation was decent but not above the standard I would expect. *I've seen worse. Cons: *Songs all sound the same and become very irritating despite them being 50% of the film, also the song at the start went on for much longer than it needed too. *Isn't vivo Spanish for 'I live...' which wouldn't make much sense at all? (I could be wrong I'm not the best at Spanish) *The characters morals and logic makes almost no sense, the plot is meant to be that they have to deliver this piece of music to a famous singer, so they go on this journey (kids films always have to have a journey for some reason) across a marshland full of deadly animals to get to her finally concert in time to deliver it. ...But couldn't they just find out her address and send it through the post? And why run away from your mum probably traumatising her, when you could just tell her and she could help? oh sorry it's a kids film so parents have to be useless so the kids can go on that journey that makes no logical sense. *The deuteragonist Gabi (the girl with purple hair) is meant to be 'different' and 'not fit in' but ironically, they are your stereo typical 'quirky' character in a kids film and not unlike the other characters in this film doesn't have much of a personality. *Nothing really happened that was very interesting, there were moment where they were obviously trying to do a plot twist but it just didn't work. I think the main reason why this film was so boring, repetitive and predictable, was because the base plot was boring itself. So in conclusion, while I think this would be good as something to put on to make little kids calm down for a bit, I doubt it will be something you or any younger kid will thoroughly enjoy and want to watch again and again like some other amazing films out there you could watch instead of this failure.

I'm more disappointed than I should be.

Like, the film itself isn't that bad. The animation and character designs are great when they don't look like they've been ripped out of Boss Baby. The songs can be quite good and very catchy too, although some of them are kinda forgettable. And I like how Lin-Manuel's latest films have the audience soak up his culture. But ultimately, this feels like a generic kids film with songs in it, and I expect more from Lin Manuel Miranda. Heck, he's the reason I watched this movie in the first place. I guess you won't do yourself any harm if you watch this, but don't expect anything stellar.