Parent reviews for Walk the Line

Walk the Line Poster Image

A High-Quality Biopic...

...for adults and teens. No kids on this one, period. However, for mature audiences, WALK THE LINE is an intelligent, entertaining, and ultimately uplifting movie to watch and discuss. The movie tells of Johnny Cash, his rise to stardom, failed marriage, and romance with June Carter (Cash). Another major point in the film is Cash's addiction to drugs. He starts popping pills early on in the film and, for the remainder of the film (minus the last 15-20 minutes) you see the affects of his addiction. Cash's behavior while high and later withdrawal are portrayed quite graphically and startlingly in some parts of the movie. This is just furthered by the brilliant (and realistic) performance by Juaquin Phoenix. Cash keeps on taking the pills even after he knows their affects, and his illegal procurement of them leads to brief domestic violence with his wife (hence, the violence caution up top). However, after June convinces him to stop the drugs, the movie becomes uplifting and sends positive messages of redemption. Language consists of frequent mild language ("d**n", "h*ll", "a*s") and one use of "f**k". Cash has affairs with women on the road, but nothing is ever shown beyond clothed kissing. He and June sleep together once while he is still married, but nothing at all is shown (just them clothed under covers in the morning).

1 person found this helpful.

Mature content, but good biopic

Just a regular biopic of Johnny Cash plus his wife, both now resting in peace. In some parts, this may bore the younger teens and kids. You have to pay really good attention to the movie to understand it. A lot of partying behind the stage along with in taking of drugs. Reese does wonderfully in this movie as well as Joaquin. Good movie. Worth watching, I suppose

Great movie! I highly recommend it for older teens and up

not rated for age

Brings an era of music alive

This story of Johnny Cash's career and its impact on his health was well done. The story line, acting and directing were all excellent. The depiction of drug and alchohol abuse was realistic. It did not glamorize the use of drugs and alchohol. The consequences of abuse were graphic and devastating to all concerned. The movie provided an interesting view of a few of the key people involved in the 'birth of rock and roll.' I recommend it.
not rated for age

Good music, could have been a great movie

There's a good story there -- about what it means to be a truly good person, and that we all have darkness in us. But I wish we would have seen more of June's side of things.

A Fantastic Movie!!

This was GREAT!!! It seriously deserves many Oscars!!! The acting was fantastic, and the music rocked! Now...down to business...SPOILER WARNING!! some language, including the f-word once. Implied affairs, and Johnny wakes up in bed with a girl once. His brother was killed in a saw accident, and it's pretty bloody, but nothing's really shown. Of course Cash takes drugs and drinks a lot, but it is all shown in a negative light, and he learns to overcome his addictions. All in all, I think most young teens can handle it. It was really an inspiring film!

So good

The best movie ever made, so worth your money go see it now!!!!!!!
not rated for age

Moved to silence (almost)...

If movies ever made me cry, this one would have done it. At the end of the film, I sat with my mouth open. This is a beautiful love story of two people who support and defend one another through times most of us don't have to imagine. Aside from the "throw away" manner in which Johnny and Vivian's relationship was shown (absolutely no redeeming qualities were given to her), the movie shows the bad consequences of bad behavior and the good consequences of good behavior. That it's all true made it even more touching. Highly recommend.