All teen and kid member reviews for World War Z

Teen, 14 years old Written byLuke G June 21, 2013

The movie stinks and it's unsuitable for children

"World War Z" focuses on the zombie apocalypse and how a family of a husband, wife and two daughters survive the onslaught. The whole storyline is dull and the movie is heavily advertised. The movie's also very bloody and gory. This movie did not even come close to being what people expected.

Kid, 11 years old June 21, 2013

Utterly disappointing.

This is an extremely shallow movie. It is filled with utterly boring action sequences, and does very little to keep viewers interested. The director doesn't allow viewers to get to know the characters, and because of this, you don't really care whether or not the characters die, or survive. There is very little violence, and almost no bad language. There is absolutely no sexuality, at all.

Kid, 10 years old June 22, 2013

Good for zombie fans, but beware your age.

It was a little more than scary for me, im ten. Freaky, not so good for kids under ten.

Teen, 13 years old Written bydoubleE June 25, 2013

World War Z is Horriying, Intense, and a Brilliant Movie but Totally Not for Kids

First of all, from the preview, this movie did not look scary at all. Well, the preview was totally wrong. This was probably the scariest movie I've ever seen. There are about 100 parts where zombies pop-up out of know where am scare you to to death... no pun intended :). There were about 10 kids in theater, and by the end, there were only a few because it's that disturbing. The zombies are graphic and the way they kill people is gruesome. There are some scenes that will blow over kid's heads such as there is a scene in a grocery store where a man is on top of a woman beginning/ trying to rape her but dosent get to do it as he is brutally killed. The movie has many,many, many scares and intense scenes. Personally, I didn't think I was going to make it but I'm glad I'd because i loved it. Be prepared to sit in the most intense and horrifying 2 hours of your life.

Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 June 22, 2013

Almost as Good as "I am Legend,World War Z is a tense movie with great set pieces(4.25 out of 5 stars)

“World War Z is a tense mix of genres, and works well as a movie. The acting is good(Especially Brad Pitts performance), the action is fast moving(and for the most part) well done, the set pieces are really good(especially Israelis action set piece), the emotions are very believable, the pace(for at least the first hour or so) is extremely fast paced and tense and most importantly, World War Z blends a lot of genres together(War, Suspense, mystery, action, sci-fi, horror and thriller) and in doing so makes an enjoyable movie. The only negatives are that the character development (besides Brad Pitt’s character) isn’t really fleshed out and there are some clichés. But overall I would recommend this film.”
-Zombie violence(mostly bloodless), No nudity, about 25 profanities(10 are s-words). Overall 14+

Teen, 14 years old Written bytraylorharp99 July 9, 2013

World War Z

Let me start off by saying that all the other reviews you shouldn't listen too. The movie is intense for kids 12 and under, and they should not see this movie. There are sequences that will give kids nightmares. Parents should know that when a movie say PG-13, that means it's recommended for kids 13 and up, not 13 and under. So think before you plan to buy the tickets for your younger children.13 and above are more likely to understand and comprehend the movie, do not take a kid just because the kid is begging you to see it, do not cave!!! The movie is good, there is some language, the violence is a 4 out of 5. The main character (played by Brad Pitt) is a good role model, doesn't want to use violence unless he must, he cares for his daughters and wife. I would recommend to seeing this movie.

Kid, 8 years old June 29, 2013

this is right

so I just saw it at an 8 yr old it was kind of scary to me so if you like jumpscares this is the movie for you

Teen, 17 years old Written byGamerevier July 21, 2013

Underrated

This movie is underrated I loved it and would give it an 8.5/10.0 now to the violence the gore or blood at the beginning of the movie is mostly unoticed because of the HUGE hordes of zombies so you can't tell which zombie got shot, but at the end or middle things get a little more graphic and intense this movie was great but may disturbe or scare little kids or even a 8 or 9 year old but it all depends on your child.

Kid, 11 years old July 25, 2013

Suspenseful Thriller! Great Job, Brad Pitt!

I saw this movie not to long ago. It was really amazing for me, I do not understand how some say it is disappointing. Although it is about zombies, I didn't find it too scary. More startling. Things pop out all the time, and there is much suspense. But, I can't speak for everyone. I did think a few times, 'woah, that must be really scary for some'. For me, not too much. There is some zombie close ups which feature the flesh eating zombies. They look pretty realistic. I recommend this movie to kids who aren't scared too easily. I found the trailer for a horror movie more scary than the movie itself. I personally LOVED it! If you are going to take a little one to this movie, and they are scared, remind them that it isn't real and never will happen. Like I said, I cannot speak for everyone. Good luck, and I 100% recommend this to adults that love thrillers.

Kid, 12 years old Written bythe_man_18 August 19, 2013

decent and moderatly violent zombie movie

This movie is somewhat violent. There is only blood in one scene where an airplane crashes and the lead character is stabbed with shrapnel. But it is tame compared to other zombie movies. That being said it is not a kid movie, there are 1 or 2 jumpscares and lots of intense scenes. The zombies themselves could also scare younger viewers. The quality of the movie depends on what you wanted from it, if you wanted a ultra gory super scary horror flick than you would be dissapointed. But if what you were looking for an actiony thriller with huge amounts of zombies then this will be the best thing since color tv.

Kid, 11 years old August 27, 2013

Scary fo 9 and under

World war Z in nothing but violent. There is a meager amount of cussing enough for a 10 year old. The movie is good overall but consider the amount of sci fi violence in this intense sci fi thriller.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySuperFast29 July 30, 2013

Not very graphic, but sooo dull

The title says it all.

Teen, 14 years old Written byNoa_iak September 6, 2013

Great movie but scary

The only problem in this movie is that it is scary.
A friend of mine which is 16 in a month set next to me and couldn't watch the movie because it was scary.
On the other hand I found the andrnalin a great addtive to the experience and I loved the movie.
There is action all the time and the critics make it sound alot worse then it actually is.

Kid, 12 years old July 30, 2013

Good movie

It was a great movie. I wasnt scary, coming from a squeamish 12 year old. I think it is just the intense scenes that made me rate it what i rated it

Teen, 13 years old Written byFriendlyReviewer April 8, 2014

Saw It At The Movies.. Awesome 3D Experience..

Teen, 13 years old Written byHightech Redneck April 3, 2014

Awesome zombie movie.

Note: I have not read the book (at least yet), if you are wondering if the movie is like the book just stop reading this review. Great zombie movie. I like zombie stuff and out of the zombie movies I have seen so far, this is my favorite one. The main character does whatever it takes to keep his family safe from being zombie food. It obviously has violence because it's a zombie movie. Brief language. It all depends on who is watching it. If the person is 10 or older they should be fine.

Kid, 10 years old March 20, 2014

perfect amount of violence for a tween!

This has no s*x, or violence! Well, very mildly, a little bit of violence. This is very intense, and startling. Perfect for a family movie night!

Teen, 17 years old Written bySeth S. March 7, 2014

3 1/2 stars, not so family appropriate:

NOTE: I saw the unrated blu-ray cut of the movie. As I haven't seen the theatrical cut, I cannot compare the two. The extended cut only includes more violence, and doesn't change or add to the story of the movie.

I'm not a zombie fan. Watching the undead eat the flesh of the living has never really brought joy to me. That being said, I was looking forward to World War Z. After the months of production trouble, I was expecting the worst from the movie. Marc Foster already has a poor track-record with action movies, and his directorial decisions were rumored to be part of the production problems. It seems like the movie dug itself into a hole long before it was released. But against a wall of odds, World War Z is actually a very solid movie.

Former UN employee Gerry Lane is living a quiet and secure life with his wife and two daughters. When driving through Philadelphia traffic, all hell breaks loose ... In the form of zombies! Gerry and his family go on a frantic run to find safety. Because of his United Nations connections, Gerry is able to evac his family to an aircraft carrier. In return, he must go back to work for the UN. He is tasked with protecting a brilliant scientist who is on the hunt for a zombie cure.

The story maintains a fairly high level of intelligence throughout. This definitely isn't a mindless action movie. There are interesting twists and turns along the way. Much has been made about the rewritten third act. While I don't think it's as bad as most are painting it to be, it still could have been better. Survival is the main driving force behind most of this movie. It's not a movie about domestic trouble or interpersonal relationships. There is a threat, our hero needs to constantly survive the threat, and then he needs to find a solution to the problem. That's it. I liked the nuts and bolts approach the script has. It does an admirable job showing us a realistic reaction to a zombie outbreak.

Brad Pitt carries the entire load of the movie. Our story completely centers on Gerry. He goes in and out of interaction with other characters. He starts out in danger with his family. He then transitions going on the run with Segen. But these characters clearly play second fiddle to Pitt. He does a terrific job bringing Gerry to life with a minimalist performance. His family is what drives him, giving him a motivation that makes sense. Pitt hasn't done a straight-up action movie in a while, but he hasn't lost a step. He is powerful here.

The supporting cast is filled with solid performances, but none of them stand out. Mireille Enos is probably the best as Gerry's wife Karin. James Badge Dale gives a very short, but very cool performance as Captain Speke.

The movie isn't focused on being a typical "zombie" movie, hence the PG-13 rating. There aren't gallons of blood and hundreds of fake severed limbs flying around. The movie is about suspense and action, not gore.

The best action scene is the very first one. When a zombie outbreak explodes on the streets of Philadelphia, we are treated to a truly terrifying action scene. Gerry and his family are in trouble, and they have no resources, no information, and no place of safety. This is the best action scene, because the threat feels very real. It's also the grittiest of the action scenes, providing for a more realistic feel.

The most massive action set piece is in Israel. This is the big scene that the movie marketed the most. While undeniably cool, it simply isn't as frightening as the first action scene. It's more along the lines of action, and not tension. Still, I'm not complaining about seeing a swarm of zombies climb a wall and take down a helicopter.

The final action scene goes completely in the opposite direction. Instead of action, it is way more on the side of suspense. I'm always happy when a movie chooses to give the audience character driven action as opposed to fireworks and explosions. And that is exactly what World War Z does. It puts Gerry in a nearly impossible situation. His only escape is through cleverness. It's very gripping stuff.

Primarily, the action doesn't simply "blow up the bomb." As the legendary Alfred Hitchcock said (paraphrased), 'Setting off a bomb gives the audience 10 seconds of surprise. Telling an audience that there's a bomb under the table and it's going to go off in 5 minutes draws viewers into 5 minutes of suspense.' And that is exactly what World War Z does, for the most part.

Oh, and fast zombies are much more horrifying than sluggish ones ... I'm just saying.

The rest of the technical aspect of the movie is adequate, if unspectacular. Marc Foster's direction never lets down the story. He may have had dozens of issues during filming and post production, but he still churns out a quality movie. He's probably better at directing dramas like Finding Neverland, but he does a commendable job here.

My main issue with the movie is that the pacing is off. Instead of building to a sensational finish, it keeps losing steam the further it gets along. The movie is still quality all the way through, I just wish it was paced better.

Marco Beltrami provides the musical score. Beltrami has written many a solid score over the past 15 years, but he is largely uninspired here. Supposedly, he had to tone down his score, because it was pushing the movie into R rated territory. The original composition might have been impressive, but his revised effort comes off as dull. And his worse offense is that he uses Hans Zimmer's Inception horn blast ... I'm sure it wasn't Beltrami's idea, but it's still so grating to hear it in score after score.

Over everything else, World War Z is entertaining. It's a globetrotting, fast moving, suspenseful, and enthralling movie that takes risks within the "zombie" genre. And those risks pay off. Without the element of surprise, I don't know how good the sequel will be; but I can assure you that I will be watching.

"Mother nature is a serial killer, no one's better, more creative, but like all serial killers, she can't help the urge to want to get caught." 7.5/10

Kid, 10 years old February 20, 2014

Excellent zombie movie. Probably my favorite one ever.

This movie has lots of profanity. The language includes goddamn, ass, hell, s--t, bitch and bastard. The violence is pretty extreme including blood and not much gore (most violence is actually off screen). This is a really good movie and the sex is mild. Just kissing and sleeping together which parents do every night. So if you are a zombie fan and so are your kids, see this movie!

Kid, 12 years old February 20, 2014

Realistic

There is a lot of violence and it gets tense at points, but its one of the more possible zombie movies.