All member reviews for Yeezus

Rap icon's album is unique but aggressive and explicit.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Teen, 16 years old Written bybretnummer248 July 2, 2013

Experimental Rap Album With Alot of Language/Sexual references

This is Kanye West's newest masterpiece. It is different than his earlier. The album has elements such as electronic, acid house, dancehall, and industrial music mixed with samples and Kanye's rapping. This is a very controversial album, because of the name of the album and the track I Am A God. Like his earlier albums, there is a large amount of swearing and sexual references. There are references to drinking and drugs also. Kanye also mentions brand names. Overall this is an interesting experimental album and it is really good, but not for anyone under 16.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byBuddy Jensen August 16, 2013

Yeezus

I personally think Yeezus is a ok album. The beats are strong and loud but if your not a west fan then it maybe strange for you. I think it's good it's no different than any other music in our generation of rap music constant language suggestive content.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybl0odynuke88 July 9, 2013

Only one song is bad

Im in it is the only song which shows sexual content

Teen, 15 years old Written byfirstact July 29, 2013

Calm down

Listen, so I pretty much highlighted everything on here, but it's a good album with explicit sex references (On Sight and I'm In It), language (every song), no violence ("I put my d--k in her mouth" is more sexual than violent), mentions of brands and drinking, but seriously? KIds hear this stuff all the time, so if you're not letting your kid listen to this, you may as well not let your kid go to school.

Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 29, 2013

Experimental, a statement album

"My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is easily one of my favorite albums of all time, so I was anticiapting West's brand new solo album. Needless to say I was a little startled by the lack of lush, soul-sampling hip hop beats West is known for, save for closing track "Bound 2." They're mostly bare bones thumping anthems about West's favorite subject: himself. My favorite track so far, besides the accessible "Bound 2" is "Black Skinhead," which will leave you pumped up, and hoping for more of West's new material in the future.

Adult Written bypanicpack121 October 19, 2013

It's literally meant for children to begin with.

This album is meant for kids personally (between the ages of 7-13, probably 5-6), the children they're honestly hearing more and more worse things every day, then we were younger. It has the common themes: sex, drugs, "violence," capitalism, and common others as themes. Other themes include: politics on the Middle East (that is the common stereotypical theme because of the religious war); against the government (who doesn't, again, he cannot determine socialism versus communism, and why he's rich, so why are you talking about this?); having an autotheistic (calling yourself God) philosophy, mocking religions, etc. (Even if Kanye West is a Christian, he's hypocritical - and I'm Jewish - I don't like to say my religious believes on the Internet, but yeah...) Shall I go on? I have CDs, cassettes, vinyl, just like this but it's done in a poor way; however, I would never buy it on iTunes or physically (CD, vinyl, cassettes) because I think it's atrocious rap in the execution - due the typical topics are performed. I have literally 800+ CDs and I think it's just a generic album done wrong even if you apply it with hip-hop... I do not want the label of hip-hop that's done without trying, and this one of those albums... Even the song "I Am God" cannot be more cringe worthy. I have bands such as that, but they're punk and metal; not hip-hop. I guess that's original in his philosophy, and how he's getting rid of his religion (due to his relationship with Kim Kardashian, that's why). Back to the point on why I think it's for children these days, under the age of 13, it's because they're seeing and hearing more things that are for individuals who are above 18. I'm 19 going on 20, and when I was 13-17, I didn't even care about the rap songs, even I know their fake. It's fictitious rap about the stereotypical themes and it's adolescent who is still thinking he's back to when he's 17, but sounds as if he's 5 all again. He acts like a two year old when he doesn't get his way. When I was 14, I had discovered Death, Voivod, Pestilence, Cynic, Napalm Death, Carcass, Cattle Decapitation, etc. And dare I say it: AxCx? [a name that cannot be said on this site]. My music taste has changed for both the good and worse entirely, soon after 9th grade. Mainly because I found more offensive and more shocking artists/bands outside the realm of commercial music.

This is just a commercialized Death Grips which is meant it to be an intelligent forward thinking band. I think Death Grips is for intelligent individuals who can process analyzing lyrical content for an hour or more. Death Grips' is in a intelligent design in thought for rap because they blend different genres, such as: hip-hop, experimental rock, black metal, punk, industrial, etc in their music. However, "Yeesus" isn't at all, personally, forward thinking. You can actually analyze the sound in literally just minutes. I couldn't literally sit through the music, so I had went over the lyrical content - it makes me wish that Pokemon could attack me in the process. I don't go for the lyrical content that often, it's a rarity for me, I wish I didn't. I think it's the same old, same old rap album that is just meant for people who think that listening to dancehall, house, industrial, and apparently [quote unquote] Nirvana is intelligent. (Nirvana had rip-offed Fugazi, Killing Joke and among others in their music, it's apparent.) Even though I know Kanye had listened to Gravity Records - which is a post-hardcore, hardcore punk, emo (not a genre based on relationships and hating yourself - it was actually related to death metal in the 80's and early 90's); screamo (the same applies with screamo just like emo, it was formed by hardcore punk, which is actually from thrashcore and powerviolence - and it's actually a derivative from grindcore - which is from death metal, so it's a death metal genre, or a metal genre originally), noise rock, etc music label. Listen to first wave screamo bands of Heroin, Antioch Arrows, etc and you'll find yourself at Kanye's new album... on a cryptic level... I guess that's good: he had obscured the first wave screamo, with industrial, electronica, hip-hop - I guess that's excellent - otherwise, it's purulence that's held on the stick for way too long...

In conclusion: Kanye West's album is meant for kids to other kids to show in class, to be the most extreme on the playground/school, in the class, or if you want an high ego. Then yes, this is the music for you. I don't think that parents should care these days, because we're not in the 50's-70's anymore. The parents have ALSO heard worse, so why bother? Sure I don't think you should sing this albums in class, when a teacher is around you, or if you're around some parents (who are self-consciousness about if there's one swear). Then yes, it's offensive and shocking, but it's not. Other than that, I could careless.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheDeysion October 19, 2013

eh

Some of the music here is amazing, some of it is garbage. In the end, it balances out.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySamuel M. January 4, 2014

Yeezus: The worst album I've ever heard

I can't believe people are calling this Kanye's best work, one of the best albums of 2013. IT'S FREAKING HORRIBLE! The new sound is absolutely atrocious, I mean--it's good to try something new, but this is a little in over its head. From the overly audible "On Sight" to the infamous "Bound 2", everything feels stitched together, and you can literally hear the splices in between the music. Kanye's rapping has gone down notably, but it's not the worst I expected. Nevertheless, it's a very disappointing album that gets too much recognition. For what?