Parent reviews for Downton Abbey

Downton Abbey Poster Image

Not for Conservative Families unless looking for discussion topics

Most of this is great but as a conservative family topics like affairs and homosexuality exist so be prepared so that you can decide whats best for your family and prepare and discuss as you see fit if you should choose to let them watch it.

2 people found this helpful.

A good show

There is nuthing that bad

Heartwarming, twist and turns classic

I am a mother of three children. This English Tv show will always mean something to me and never gets old! The clothes the set and the character development is beautiful to watch. I have seen all of the seasons when I was in my 20s and my 12 year old is mature and I recently let her watch them too. SHE LOVES THEM!! Just know the story line is quite slow and complex so you have to know your child. There are only a few bloody scenes that only features a dead body or a medical scene but not shown in graphics. The sex showed nothing much just a bit of adultery. I love this show and I couldn’t recommend more.

Spoilers, But There's A Rape Scene

This show does have a few scenes where you can tell they are going to have sex or discuss sex, but not too many. Common Sense Media, however, does not mention a violent and sexual scene, that is sad and for mature audiences. In season 3 one of the characters gets raped, you only briefly see it, but it also shows the screams of the woman and her sobbing. This scene is very sad, and only for mature audiences

In my whole entire life of watching so many movies and TV series, I've never seen a more beautiful picture ever (Downton Abbey). It's so clean, clear, and crisp, it's just so beautiful! BREATHTAKING!!!!

Engaging period drama

I recently started watching this series and was sucked in right away. I was quite surprised when my 12-yo son watched an early episode with me and loved it! Since then, we've been cruising through the seasons, and we'll be disappointed when it's finished. It's probably not for every kid because it's a lot of talking and not much action, but mature kids who are interested in learning about life in another era will love it. The show has given us some good things to talk about as a family and to reflect on how life is different now. I don't understand the reviewers who are concerned about the kiss between two men. Lighten up people!

Lovely!

A beautifully-done period drama.

Historical not good and there is homophobia

Historical not good and there is homophobia concerning one servant who is gay and also cruel and mean !

I think for ages 15 and up

I, too, agree that this series is for older children. The themes the reviewer talks about are presented in too complex a way. As a developmental psychotherapist my argument is based on what a teen is able to process, not the political or moral correctness of sexual identity, stealing, etc. 12, 13, 14-year-olds are just trying to figure out they're own bodies, identity, and feelings, and don't necessarily need to view these themes of morality in the multi-faceted way this series presents them. These are characters behaving badly to cope with complex problems, not solving them. However, this is a great show to introduce these themes to 15/16-year-olds. I do agree that the show brings up excellent, almost endless, points of discussion in the area of moral development, and I would add more to what the reviewer suggested: Who lives with integrity in this show? How do we go about getting what we want? how is it in our current day life that people work towards a similar cause with differing wants/beliefs/intents? What is an appropriate way to approach someone intimately, no matter the gender? How can doing the right thing for one person affect a group negatively? Conversely, is it fair to ask one person to sacrifice their happiness to do what's best for a group/family? Would you fight a law that was out-dated and seemingly unfair when it protects tradition?