All teen and kid member reviews for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Teen, 15 years old Written bymathgirlie May 19, 2012

Absolutely amazing.

Let me start off by saying that FMA:B is the best TV show (anime or non-anime) that I have ever had the pleasure of watching in my entire life. It is THAT good. The plot, the characters, the artwork, the voice acting...it's all astounding, and EASILY outshines the crap that they play on American cable these days. ("Say Yes To The Dress?" *gag*) Age-appropriateness is a debatable subject. As it is anime (okay, okay...it's a cartoon), blood is questionable. Yes, there are scenes with blood. Lots and lots of them. But the blood is cartoon blood, and doesn't really MOVE (behave?) like real blood (i.e; spraying from arteries at impossible angles, characters losing ridiculously large amounts of it and making full recoveries) - with the exception of episode 41, where they did their physics homework.
Language really isn't that much of an issue - no major bombs dropped here, and nothing that you don't probably already use in your home. No sex, although Lust (an artificially created human) wears a dress with a low-cut neckline, and there is a scene where Winry starts to take off her shirt (you see the undersides of her breasts), before she notices Ed behind her (with humorous results).
In short, this show is amazing and should be watched by anyone who enjoys a good, thought-provoking story that will stay with you long after the final episode has been shut off.

Kid, 11 years old Written byFMAfangirl220 April 14, 2012

I LOVE THIS ANIME!

I am an 11 year old girl and I absolutely LOVE this anime! It does have a lot of fighting scenes and has a lot of blood, but so far it is one of the best animes I have ever watched.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykobaltflame April 25, 2012

freakin...

freakin incredible. nuff said

Teen, 15 years old Written byishaan sharma August 24, 2012

Incredible

Like almost all anime, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is not intended for young children, but should be fine for anyone over the age thirteen. The show is quite violent and bloody, and the characters will often swear. Despite that, it is easily one of the best anime I have seen.

Kid, 10 years old May 1, 2012

My favorite anime

My fav ANIME!! this was the show/manga that started my intrest in anime! has lots of violent images but not too much for me (10 year old girl) and by s#x i do not mean tat literally i mean there can be very very VERY suddle kissing. and showing body parts is not a probleme with this anime the only reason it is rated TV-PG14 is becuase of violence and cussing.

Teen, 16 years old Written bythelastpersonalive April 7, 2012

its a great show

I watch the whole series and it is fantastic the animation is great the store is great and the characters are memorable. its great for kids and adults

Kid, 12 years old Written byLOL....NO! May 3, 2012

its amazing

positive role models, amazing plot, nice music , a bit violent, and some language.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMusic is amazing September 30, 2012

This is a really amazing anime. The characters are portrayed very well. The plot is very good too. The show does have it's gory scenes though. But if you want a suspenseful show this is where you need to go! <3

Teen, 14 years old Written bySlipperyQ March 30, 2013

A True Masterpiece

Before I say anything else, I want to point out that I get the feeling CSM did not actually watch the whole anime, as I'm rather shocked that they didn't mention any of the events that occur after the first six episodes. The show is very, very violent; that is true. It's a dark story, and many times more disturbing than it is violent - which is saying a lot. It also contains a multitude of religious themes, often alluding to the mythology of major world religions, in its depictions of the celestial forces that sway the story's universe; I find it very thought-provoking and powerful, but I know there are people on CSM who will be sensative to the sometimes less-then-glamorous depictions of forces like God in Fullmetal.

Now, with all that nonsense out of the way: the series is absolutely incredible. I don't throw around the word "masterpiece" very often. And I must say, if you only ever introduce your children to one television program in their lifetimes, I sincerely hope this is it. From the gorgeous musical score to the beautiful artistry, the thematic brilliance to the so-real-they-could-live-next-door characters, this show is everything about animation that is good. The storyline is deep, complex, and truly representative of the human condition. It is one of the most powerful stories I have ever had the pleasure to experience, and will surely envoke strong feelings on every end of life's broad spectrum - horrors that are truly horrifying, passions that are truly electrifying, jokes that are truly hilarious, tragedies that are truly heartbreaking, and heights that are truly magical. Edward (not Edgar) Elric stands out to me as one of the finest characters in any fiction - literature, film, or animation - that I have ever seen; disillusioned but persistent, stubborn but well-meaning, bitter but maintaining some vestige of hope, some reason to move forward. He is everything that a great character ought to be. He is unique in his perspective and personality; he is a methodical, mathematical, scientific mind, with a serious God complex and an aching need to be the biggest and the best. He is capable of unintentional cruelty and often he is rough and angry and mean. He is imperfect and weak and bitter. Even so, he is redeemable; he is talented, and intelligent, passionate and genuinely good at heart; he has an appreciation for the value of human life that is undeniable, and he is utterly incapable of doing anything he does not believe is right; it is impossible for him to put distance between himself and other people, and his love for his family is a bond that drives him into our hearts. In the end, Edward’s struggle is our own struggle, and every step he takes propels us forward. He is one of those people who battles an insatiable craving for the extraordinary, the unbelievable, the impossible- but some things are greater than even he is able to comprehend. His journey is one that touches each of us, because he is journeying into the world of our own nature, but it is he, himself, that makes the story belong to us.

The show guides its viewer through a breathtaking, albeit somewhat brutal, portrait of human nature- it's a beautiful story, and it will surely continue to move you, time after time after time.

Teen, 14 years old Written byShiiku Master May 27, 2013

Don't listen to the others (except SlpperyQ & moviemaker201, job well done)

In the other reviews have little kids talking about it and which i think is just ridiculous, I do lots of anime reviews so this will be easy. In the show there are parts with lots of violence and blood which will put a child in shock and the use of language is strong but it is mostly just dam (eh eh see what I did there) bi#, and ba#. I watched this when I was like 12 but it was normal for me but other kids might have a hard time with it. There are parts that are sexual like the character Lust with her breasts a little exposed and some bath senses (which oddly is normal in anime) with Edward in episode 29 i think and Winry some where in season 4 or 5. But take it from me, i am kinda emo but if ur the kind of person who takes a lesson or creates philosophy from an anime this is an amazing show. AND A VERY IMPORTANT PART IS THE STORY LINE, for young kids it will be VERY confusing to them, but over all it is grate but it is more for teens. But seriously it is ridiculous that little 10 year olds saying "oh ya, its perfectly fine for ANYONE to watch this show" no it is not.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLittle Fish July 22, 2013

Well done, Fullmetal.

Gripping storyline, told over the course of 64 episodes. It follows brothers Edward and Alphonse (known as Ed and Al) Elric, on their journey to give Al back his human body. I love this anime, as it has an almost perfect combination of everything needed for a great story: adventure, comedy, tragedy, and those heartwarming moments that make anyone want to go 'Aww!' (as well as a dash of romance too). The characters themselves are well-rounded, with excellent development. Everyone has their flaws, but that's what makes these characters more relatable. There are great role models, male and female alike (The Elric brothers, Riza Hawkeye, Izumi Curtis and Maes Hughes to name a few). Potential viewers should be comfortable with a moderate amount of violence, as Ed and Al fight many bloody battles throughout the series. Also, there are a few scenes that aren't really *ahem* suitable for younger viewers, which are dotted here and there. Swearing is fairly mild, using the general, run-of-the-mill stuff, so it's not too much of a problem, in my eyes. Anyone in Secondary/Middle School should be fine with everything. Definitely not meant for anyone 11 or under. For twelve-year-olds, they should probably ask parents first.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPhysicsgeek456 May 11, 2013

Religious background

I watched this when I was about nine or so, and it scared the heck out of me. I watched the first episode, and thought, this might be a little scary, but it is very entertaining. The second episode was a little scarier, but the third and fourth were "Oh My Gosh, this is terrifying!" Now I watch it again, it is fine. Also, this series raises complex moral questions. In one episode, a high priest tricks everyone into believing in him, to create an army that does not fear dying for him. In the same episode, the main character has a blunt debate with a girl who was tricked by the high priest. In the fourth episode, a State alchemist transmutates a dog and his own daughter to create the first chimera that can communicate with humans. The main character has a hissy fit about how some of the alchemists were acting like they were god. The last part of the episode shows a religious zealot killing the alchemist for betraying the work of God. The zealot proceeds to take pity on the chimera that was once his daughter, and kills her as well, leaving them both in a pool of blood. Also, the violence and blood is very high. Maybe Tweens and up.

Kid, 12 years old November 12, 2013

People don't come back from the dead.

*Spoiler Alert* Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is about two brothers who attempted to resurrect their mother from the grave using alchemy, which is a strictly forbidden rule that even the most novice alchemists know. The resurrection didn't work, and the two Elric brothers paid extremely, with the older brother losing his left leg, and his younger brother losing his entire body. Edward, the older brother ties his younger brother's soul to a suit of armor and pays with his right arm. Now, the two Elric brothers Edward and Alphonse, are on a quest to restore their bodies back to normal and live a peaceful life, but they run into all kinds of problems in this humorous yet violent anime full of tragedy and emotion. Yes, people frequently die and murder happens a lot, but this show repeats the fact that People don't come back from the dead. Keep in mind that frequent cursing and smoking take part in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Also, there is another show called Fullmetal Alchemist. Take note that this show, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is not a sequel to the original. Fullmetal Alchemist strayed from the Japanese Manga and developed its own storyline, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood follows the Manga 100%. I suggest you watch both of the series, both Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Fullmetal Alchemist are both very entertaining and worth the watch.

Teen, 15 years old Written bynblennon October 24, 2013

Good, but not for the "weak"

This is one of the best anime out there: little sexual content, good story, positive message. There's a LOT of violence, such as limbs being hacked off and blood everywhere. There's quite a bit of language. Every once in a while, a character appears on screen that drinks or smokes, but I don't think it's THAT big of a deal...
The only sexual content I remember is one of the characters has midriff showing, another has a dress that has a low neckline, and one line is along the lines of "I always knew you liked them that way" (referring to the large... nevermind, you know of what I speak).
It shows the teamwork and brotherly love of Ed and Al, and teaches to fight no matter the odds; fighting and dying is better than dying.
It is sad and thought provoking, and it should be shown only to those who like a good challenge.
I started watching FMA when I was 9-ish (the original) and Brotherhood when I was 11 or so. It caused me to mature a lot, and realize how evil the world is, and how precious life and family is. Overall, it's a 5 star show. Don't be afraid of the violence or language (have a parent preview it first!). The message is good and outweighs the bad parts of the show.
I also think it correctly represents America's current state (aka the state of Nazi German). It takes place during WWI in a different world. There's also a movie called "Sacred Stars of Milos" which is pretty good too.
Did I mention the music is awesome? :D:D:D best music from any anime ever.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFullmetalTeen October 14, 2013

Violent but Epic

Personally, I really enjoyed the show (13 years old). There is a lot of violence, since it's a show with fighting, blood, and language. I think it really depends on the maturity level of your child/yourself. My mom sees me watching it, and gets creeped out by the blood, but she doesn't object. I would suggest keeping it to kids 10 and up though, just to be on the safe side. When I was 8 or 9 I wouldn't be able to handle it, but 10 and beyond I could. Like I said, it depends on the maturity of you child.

Kid, 12 years old Written bysilverspark7x April 27, 2013

Very good, some kids may find it a bit mature

As far as anime goes, this is probably one of the best I've seen! I'm twelve and wasn't disturbed by the violence, though I think that some kids younger than me may find it, um, scary. There are some mature themes, including death (which is prominent and definitely not glossed over), revenge, doing the right or wrong thing, and war. It is definitely thought provoking and interesting, allowing kids to form their own opinions on serious subjects. There is also a lot of action that is both loosely science based and strongly fantasy based. The characters are well developed and easy to get attached to, even the antagonists, though their backgrounds are often pretty depressing. There are plenty of positive female role models, and the Elric brothers may be stupid at times, but overall stick to their beliefs. I would recommend this anime for someone in search of a thought provoking, action packed show with very developed and unique characters.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybioniclecomeback56 April 15, 2014

Wether your an anime fan or not. This is worth your time.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has to be one of my favorite TV shows of all time (another anime I would put on the list would be Naruto Shippuden). It beats the original Fullmetal Alchemist series by far. I want to emphasize something to the parents that are reading this. Not all animation is for little kids. When I say this, I'm talking about stuff like Family Guy were it's just a bunch of inappropriate jokes. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is all about two brothers named Edward and Alphonse trying to get their bodies after committing alchemy's greatest taboo. This show has dark themes and has a complex plot that little kids wouldn't understand. Anyways onto the content stuff.

Violence 4/5: Although this show is not very graphic and is definitely less violent than anime such as Akira or Elfen Lied (which I have not watched because of their graphic content). The show is obviously too violent for a young child to handle. Characters use alchemy to fight others. Others use weaponry such as guns or canons. Blood is seen often in battles. *Side Note*: Three episodes were rated TV-MA for violence on Adult Swim. But on other sources such as Netflix or on DVD they all appear as being rated TV-14. These episodes don't differ significantly from the others, they deserve a TV-14 rating

Sex 2/5: Not usually a problem. Havoc makes a suggestive statement about a the Homunculus Lust's chest (not graphic, but it still is a bit of an issue. The Lust wears suggestive clothing (this however, is much less revealing clothing you will see at stores on magazines). Winry is seen once in a bathtub. Nothing is shown and the scene is not intended to be sexual.

Language 3/5: Language is not constant or horribly strong but it still pops up. The most common words would be d**n and b*****d. In the English dub, b***h is said three times in the whole series.

Message: Edward and Alphonse are good people. Despite the horrible life they live. They think about others before they make a decision.
This is a very good show. It isn't for little kids. It's best suited for teenagers and even adults. Enjoy!

Kid, 11 years old April 6, 2014

LOVE IT!

It is a great show and much more appropriate than normal FMA, I watched it when I was 10 and my dad watched some parts with me, you see a girl in a shower but only her back, same for a girl in a bathtub but you can only see above her neck

Teen, 17 years old Written byLord Pigeon March 10, 2014

Compelling anime with drama and war-time violence.

Brotherhood is a near-flawless adaptation of the original manga. Good animation, with the same brilliant story and character development. Evil is defined, but some villains are shown in a more sympathetic light. Edward is determined to get his brother's body back, but both learn many valuable lessons on morality along the way.

There is lots of intense violence, with "PG-13" gore, but the action serves a purpose to the war-based plot. Many deaths occur, including a beloved character, but this sets the stage for a lot of the drama. The homunculus Lust is provocative, but not explicit. Some language, including "Hell", "damn", and "bastard", but they are not used to excess. Some drinking and smoking.

Teen, 13 years old Written byapollo. February 5, 2014

great show

This, overall is a great show with a lot of violence, some gore, but no insanely gory parts. Charterers are frequently killed, and this show is pretty much centered around the military so there is a lot of violence, if your child is sensitive to this I would recommend watching a few episodes first, and seeing if you think they can take it, it is a really good show though, don't let the violence scare you away.
There is actually a surprising amount of nudity in the fourth season (Winry is shown in the bathtub, you can't really see her, and she is seen changing once, while ed is behind her, she stops when she realizes he's there. Lust a character has a really low neckline on her dress) Other than that there's really no nudity, It's just surprising because that's not what this show is about.