Parent reviews for Jake and the Never Land Pirates

Jake and the Never Land Pirates Poster Image

Disappointing Female Role Model

Typically, there's just one 'token' female character, among crews of male characters. In the start of each show, as they embark on their daily adventure, Jake has his sword, Cubby has his map (tools, to get them out of trouble), but Izzy has her "pixie dust" -- given to her by the pixies for whenever they're *really* in a bind. The subliminal message here is that boys use tools, but girls need to be *gifted* magical "pixie dust" to pitch in and help out. It's not even her magical skills. It was gifted to her. Like she wouldn't have a contribution, otherwise. Why couldn't Izzy use some skills of her own? The crew does team up, and there's lots of friendship, and they do everything they can to get out of the binds they find themselves in, but in the end, they always need some magic. And then they're rewarded with money!? It's so commercial. I don't get why this show is considered educational, except for the counting. Having said that, my 6 year old daughter does love it. I wish there were stronger characteristics for her to admire in the one girl. And more girl characters in general, for that matter.
1 person found this helpful.

They really made Peter Pan look like he plays Tag With Ryan :(

Teaches kids to be self-entitled

This show teaches kids to be self-entitled, prideful, audacious brats. In the episode “Pixie Dust Away”, Izzy and the gang go searching for pixie dust, and Captain Hook found out about that, but the pirates did not want to let him take it, or at the very least, share the pixie dust. By doing this, they make him seem like he’s greedy. They then try to lose Hook in the fog. Izzy thinks just because the fairies gave the dust to her, she feels as though it belongs to her (it doesn’t). Moreover, the place they went to was right in the open (if it was meant for them and only them, the fairies would’ve done something to hide the place, but that’s not the case). This just goes to prove how entitled and prideful these pirates are. They planned to distract and confuse Hook to get him away from the place ‘forever and ever’. They provoke, tease, and mock him, and eventually, they outsmarted Hook. Ironically, the episode before this “Mama Hook Knows Best” was about sharing, so this episode contradicts the same.

Great Show!!

My 3 year old son loves this show!! Me and my husband have been looking for a show for my son because he is very picky about his tv shows but he loved this!!

Fairly harmless fun

Our 3 year old boy absolutely loves this show, and it's been a bonding experience with his older brothers (4 and 6). Like the show, they have simple adventures, use teamwork to try to get those pirates, and collect coins. There's an occasional positive message in the show, but I have yet to hear those messages referred to in their play... so I wouldn't give much credit to the show for character-building. At least it's not violent or laughing at drug use or whatever. There are some downsides. For one, pirates are basically professional thieves... I don't know why they should be "fun". We've beat the message about real pirates into our kids' heads, so hopefully it outweighs the show. Second, only 1 of the 7 main characters is a girl, and she's clearly an accessory character. Just like most movies and shows in our culture, the girls barely exist, and if they do they don't lead anybody or talk much. Parents of girls beware.

Halloween episode was too scary!

My son (age 4) is fascinated by Jake and his "adventures" and I have reluctantly allowed it but this week a Halloween episode in which Jake is transformed into a "hairy beast" scared my little guy so badly he was literally shaking at bedtime. Really, Disney?! Do the writers even have kids? Because I was tempted to call them to help me put my kid to bed! On the positive side, he was so afraid he asked never to watch TV again...

It's the singing

My 6 year-old seems to like all the singing; she has learned to sing along.

For elementary students and up.

I only let my kids 5 and up watch this as I fear Captain Hook might be too scary for them.

Not for kids under 4.

I Think this show is a bit violent but all and all a pritty good show..

Pronoun usage

The writers should use proper English. In a recent episode, Peter Pan sand' "me and my shadow". This should have been my shadow and I. The least the writers could do is present a proper role model for young children.