Parent reviews for Lost

Lost Poster Image

Buckle up for a fun ride!

The show vacillates from ok, to good to great. The beginning is stellar! But the drag of having to create 23 original episodes for ABC's too long seasons wears in the first few seasons. The economics of storytelling help the show in the latter seasons, but they definitely take the storylines OUT THERE. Buckle up! It's a fun ride! As for the ending...it disappoints, but the show had overstretched in a way that it could not gently retract from.

All Over the Place

Sometimes while your really interested in something going on within the show, the new episode bounces to something entirely different. They need to know how to take the screen time away from the less like characters

Our pandemic series

This series was our perfect pandemic show in spring/summer 2020 -- it caught our mood, was deeply engrossing for our 14-year old son, and ended up being a good series for the three of us to watch together. We found ourselves spending our days discussing the dilemmas and situations in the show -- the characters accompanied us on many pandemic family walks. Yes there is violence, but the characters and situations are so interesting and complex and entangled that the point is never the violence, but rather the moral challenges of survival and community. There is also some sex but much more about love and its complications amidst stress and difficulty; the sex is never exploitative or for its own sake, and it's actually surprisingly rare. You are much more compelled by the relationships and the way they move back and forth. It ended up being a wonderful series to watch with our teen when we ourselves were cut off from the outside world.

15m, 10f

My son was born during first season and now 15 years later he is watching it. We were hesitant to allow my 10 year old girl to watch but we took a chance. The show has been an enormous hit for us and both kids are totally hooked. My youngest doesn’t fully get some of it but she is handling it very well. We even went and got T-shirts for everyone, there are so many great ones to choose.

If you're of a philosophical bent, and can handle the tropes of sci-fi, go for it. As the world expands from the 1st season, I hugely enjoyed the concepts therein and some seasons just flowed very well story-wise. Often moving. It has great and awful role models, but I wouldn't say the bad go unpunished.

SO GOOD

A great show! I'm saying 14+ because there's a lot of thinking needed in this show.

Intense

Amazing show and plot, but as an adult I still am scared of watching most episodes alone and in the dark! The sounds and images can add to the suspense and horror. There are also many suggestive storylines. But aside from that the show is so amazing and keeps the audience captivated and wanting more!

Binge worthy yet can be dark

Lost is such a great show with character relationships you will root for until the end! There are a lot of brave people, character development, jaw droppers and cliff hangers, and story line/plot that just keeps giving! The show can definitely get eerie though and it was a tough choice to let my 12 year old watch it. Know your child and if they are ready for it. The worst I’ve seen is a man hanging from a tree ( only shown briefly) and a non graphic gun fight . All though a very violent scene shows a girl on a rock with very deep and gruesome cuts. Some surgery scenes are portrayed and dead bodies are a large factor and play a big role. The show takes place on an isolated tropical island with small flashbacks before the plane crash. The mood is tense which might scare or make it in comfortable for younger viewers. The swearing is very limited, and the drinking is minimal. You do see a character struggle with a heroin addict, but this character is one of the strongest and teaches great lessons. This show for sure brings adult themes. Overall, I highly recommend this tv show as it is one of my favorites, but be cautious as the show definitely gets intense and maybe quite scary. I’d say 12-13 for starters.

okay for kids