Parent reviews for Molly of Denali

Molly of Denali Poster Image

Watch out for the fake dentist video episode--it's weird and scary.

1 person found this helpful.

A little too cookie cutter for my kids

This Kid has it made in the shade. She rarely ever gets any discipline from her parents and her relationship with Tuey seems more like they are a married couple instead of best friends in third grade. I also don't care for all the squeling and squawking from her little friend from Texas, she seems to act like a know it all and she is only 6 years old! I just dont see life's realities shine through accordingly. I have to rate it low! My kids don't even care for it, they are big Cat In the Hat fans!

Odd show....

I don’t understand what this show teaches young children? Molly is some smarty curious little girl who is on social media half the time. There was a disturbing episode of her watching a fake video from her cousin trying to scare molly to not go to the dentist.
1 person found this helpful.
I love LOVE this show. My kiddo says masi cho (sp?) ALL THE TIME. The episode about the dentist scared my kiddo though, and I usually skip it. I really like how they show kids how to do research... Computers, books, phones, notes, etc. The real life bit with native kids in Alaska is my fav!

This is a great show for kids

Wholesome show full of curious, smart kids and cultural discovery. Gently covers some tough issues in regards to Native American History. I like how they show the kids researching and learning to answer their questions themselves. PBS shows are pretty great overall, but this one is a favorite at our house.

Absolutely amazing show

Hand's down, this is the best children's show I've seen. Every episode features not only great storytelling and educational lessons (in things like environmental stewardship and life science, making charts, graphs, maps, SOPs, etc., and how to do research, internet skepticism/literacy--separating fact from fiction--it's basically an Elementary Social Studies class), but it also features Athabascan language and culture, and doesn't shy away or whitewash Native history or misrepresentation. I especially appreciate the authentic representation: it's written and produced by and with input from Alaskan natives, and for every character who is Native, their voice actor is Native, too.

Nature, Family, Friendship, and the Joy of Learning

This sweet, fun series features a resourceful, creative, and kind young girl and her friends. It balances an exploration of nature with responsible and sensible use of technology. The kids solve problems and take on projects using the resources at their disposal: the library, reference books, the Internet, and the wisdom and experience of their families and friends. In one episode, when a resource doesn't exist (a registry of local native names), Molly creates it after interviewing her family and the elders in the community. While exploration of nature is a one part of the show, it is not the sole or possibly even main focus. This is not a rip-off of "Wild Krats" as some reviews have stated. Thanks to "Wild Krats," my son has learned much about animals and creature powers. He's also learned that people who try to capture animals for profit are campy one-dimensional villains. It's fun, but aside from the animal facts, it's very much in the realm of fantasy with its ridiculous villains (the heroes are also a little ridiculous) and fantastical technology (Zachbots, creature power suits, miniaturization, etc.) "Molly of Denali" has a much broader premise that is more tethered to reality with realistic characters learning how to become who they are. It is focused on children and their interactions with the world around them, including their relationship to nature, adults, and technology. I haven't even touched on the indigenous traditions explored on the program or the Alaskan setting. These add to the richness and specialness of this show.

Our favorite show

Fun, engaging, wholesome for my 7yo. Helps with literacy around media, how to know what is the truth in the internet, books, what others say. Really delightful. Also, I like that there is not gratuitous violence and that there is indigenous and black people at the forefront. We are a very low screen-time family, with no TV.