Parent reviews for Monk

Monk Poster Image

Some sexuality that was not shown in review

There are in fact a few sex-scenes in every season. there are also episodes about nudests and (as said in their title) they are naked top to bottom. and in a couple episodes there are fully exposed male and female backsides. As well as completely exposed pictures (paintings, photos, etc.) and statues (up close).

2 people found this helpful.

So good, amazing!

Some violence, but its a cop show, comedy drama, has it all, Nothing is ever boring! Minor language, but not too bad. love it hilarious and recommend it!

Best Detective Show

This show is definitely one of the best crime-solving shows ever. I would say the writing is fantastic and it has a great balance of comedy, drama, and mystery elements. There isn't too much cliff hangers so you can pick up and start at your own pace but it is very addicting. The cast has great chemistry. I would recommend parents watch with kids because there are some more adult topics and themes, but not in an inappropriate manner.

Kids loved it, still talk about it even after they watched all 8 seasons

There were 2 episodes too old for my 9 and 10 year old girls, but otherwise I would recommend this as a great family show. First murder mystery for them and the really enjoyed solving the crime with Mr. Monk.

Cop show can be violent

Cop show can show blood at times and is swearing such as [email protected], He!!.

Well-Written, Positive Show

I began watching Monk as a teenager with my mom, and have continued to enjoy this show into adulthood. Because the show is centered around a homicide detective, there are of course themes of violence throughout the entire series. Crime scenes are typically not graphic, but parents should screen episodes ahead of time to determine their comfort level with the material. I appreciate Monk because of the writers' and directors' effort to make sure that the murder mystery itself is not the main/only focus of the show. The actors are excellent, and the real heart of this series is the friendship between characters; each character has their strengths and flaws, much like in real life. The most poignant aspect of the show is the struggle of the main character, Adrian Monk (Tony Shalhoub), as he deals with severe Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). As someone who suffers from OCD, I generally find this show to be an accurate representation of the disorder. Tony Shalhoub handles his character with sensitivity, and the series portrays both the very real, raw, painful aspects of OCD, while also keeping the overall message a positive one: Monk uses his obsessive behaviors to solve crimes for the good of his community, and throughout the show, we see Monk make real progress toward gaining control of his symptoms. I strongly recommend this show for its positive and typically accurate portrayal of a character with a mental illness, thoughtful plot lines, great acting, and overall positive message that we're all human, but we can take care of each other and accomplish great things, even with our faults. This series provides a good opportunity for parents to open up discussions with their pre-teens/teens about mental health and empathy, while also providing some fun and humor along the way.

My review.

A very good show! My husband got me into this. There are small "son of a b*tch" and "d*mn you"'s in it. My 8 year old son enjoys this. I recommend this for 8+. Also some of this time when a character is murdered blood is shown. And some cases involve affairs. Oh, I forgot to mention that there is "What the h*ll" in it sometimes. However the newer ones are more children appropriate. I love every night seeing a new monk on netflix. If you like this I recommend "Psych" by the way.

Love Monk. Can anyone recommend similar shows ???

My 10-year-old and I love it. Can anyone recommend other shows of similar quality for a smart 10-year-old??? I tried Columbo, but it's a bit slow (but still great tv)

Solve the Case--But Do Your Detective Work First

I give this crime show five stars because it's probably the only one on TV a Christian woman (and other discerning families) can watch for longer than 10 minutes without flinching. Monk is by turns endearing and annoying, and may be considered a positive influence on disability in the media. His way of solving cases will also hook anybody with the slightest "geek streak." The guy is delightfully human; who else stops a summation of a quadruple homicide to chastise a subway urinator? :) Being centered on murder, violence is a concern, although the camera is generally quite discreet for the genre. Capt. Stottlemeyer likes to indulge in profanity (SOB is about as rough as it gets, but still, it's there). Monk's assistant Sharona is fond of showing a little cleavage, and it's lightly implied she's had a promiscuous past. Murder victims are sometimes seen in bikinis, and affairs are often murder motives. Young kids shouldn't watch for these reasons, and because, as one reviewer noted, the show's premise is probably way over their heads. If you're a mature teen or adult, and either one of you is in need of something clean, yet intriguing, go for it.