Parent reviews for PAW Patrol

PAW Patrol Poster Image

Don’t recommend

Very little educational content. Some scary elements. Very little racial or gender awareness has gone into the creation of this show!
4 people found this helpful.

NOT for 3-year-olds

I wouldn't even let my oldest watch it. How did this show appear on Nick Jr baffles me. Violence is on the level of TV-Y7 or maybe even TV-PG. The language the characters use is also quite disgusting. "What the h**l" and "that s*cks" in a Nick Jr show?? What are these producers and directors up to???

2 people found this helpful.

No. Just no.

I almost didn't write a review at all, because the amount of hatred I have toward this show is embarassing. If you're a dog-nutter who can tolerate repetitive "GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! CHASE! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! PAW PATROL! PAW PATROL!" then try it out. Your kids will probably love it, they may even start barking. In all seriousness, it takes a simple Google search to show you the many ways this show is harmful. First of all, Chase is a police dog (surveillance dog in later seasons). Tell me, why is Chase chosen for 90% of rescues when he's not even qualified for the job? They will choose Police and Fire department over someone more clearly suited for the job, when it could be an opportunity to teach children to match the dogs occupation with the emergency at hand. For example : someone is lost at sea, we need to rescue them asap. Who should we send to help? a) The police dog b) The fire dog c) The construction worker dog d) The helicopter dog e) The sea rescue dog If you've watched the show at all, you know the answer is 'a' and 'b'. This will be the case regardless of the emergency. A show that holds so much educational potential should not be this unapologetically stupid.

1 person found this helpful.

Great show for kids; parents need to chill.

As someone who's been actively watching Paw Patrol with his daughter, I can say the first few seasons are rough around the edges. Anything that's season six or later is honestly much better in terms of pacing and just the progression of the story through the episode. There's a number of themes in the episodes that are explored and they're often silly with the occasional precarious situation (like being stuck in a volcano). There's no violence - no kicks, punches, or bites however things are occasionally thrown (and usually to be helpful). In the first Mighty Pups however, Ryder is subject as a target to a bubble trapping device (as in it is aimed at him and launched towards him). She loves all the pups, Everest being her favorite next to Sky and Rex (from the newest dinosaur rescue season). She likes seeing them help others and "save the day", and laughs at when silly things happen in the show. There are times where she will binge-watch the episodes but we've honestly all done that with our favorite shows at one point, and it honestly doesn't last long as she often asks for something else to watch. As far as parental complaints with consumerism is concerned, their complaints are with the toys and not the actual show. As far as the show goes there's no Pepsi sponsorship on display, there's no product placement in the show. Outside of dogs eating dog treats the show doesn't encourage you to go out and buy toys. That's not to say the show doesn't help the market for more toy ideas, with all the vehicles and gadgets they continue to get. That being said we have one of each pup from the Spinmaster plushes and our daughter has fun pretending to send the pups out on missions both by herself and with ol' mom and dad. The toys can be a great way to help exercise a kid's imagination and creativity, but have to remember it is up to the parents to be a part of helping their kids learn and play. That's ultimately the difference between a kid having a tantrum because they want the Sky juice bottle they see in a store and were told no, and surprising a kid with a Sky juice bottle because they pointed it out one day and were told "not now, but maybe another time". TL;DR: The show is great. Watch it and remember the show is for kids, so unless it's teaching them bad values and morals don't be so critical on it.

1 person found this helpful.

Problematic on so many levels.

If I could travel back and time I would hide this title from Netflix. I wish my son had never seen this show. But alas, he did and now he's hooked and it will forever be a part of his consciousness. It's too late for us. But it might not be too late for you. I was surprised to learn that this show is Canadian. Canada has a history of exceptional programming for children. Upon further research, I discovered that some of the key creatives are not Canadian and that the entire show was built around a prototype for a transforming truck toy! That explains the grotesque consumerism associated with this show. Here are my issues with the show: 1) Authoritarianism. After watching this show for a period of time, our 3 year old starting barking orders at us. The orders were of a specific nature and we quickly realized at some point he was emulating Ryder, the main human character. To be fair, dominance and subservience exists in human/canine relationships, but these are talking dogs. Can they not work together? Do these dogs not have free will? If you want your child barking orders at you, this is the show for you. If your dream is to have your kid join the police force of military when they grow up, this is the show for you. 2) Gender. In the early episodes, only one of the Paw Patrol team members is female. She absolutely loves pink (surprise!), which is fine I suppose, but can't she also be competent? If you watch enough episodes you'll discover that Skye definitely offers a helping hand, but when the going gets rough, the guys need to swoop in and finish off the job. So incompetent is Skye that not only is not not able save the day, she requires being rescued herself by the other pups. As it turns out Skye is almost entirely absent from the bedding, baseball caps, tennis shoes, underwear, sleeping bags, and numerous toy sets. Fortunately for Skye, she can simply get a makeover at Skye's Facial Spa in Paw Patrol computer game to make her feel better for being left out. Yes, the mayor is woman, which could have been an opportunity to provide a more balance view of gender, but sadly her character is portrayed as incompetent. To be fair, all the adults on the show are portrayed as bumbling fools, which I probably fun for kids, but when it's one of the only female characters, it's a problem. 3) Good guys/bad guys. When we started watching Paw Patrol, the stories were focused on the team working together to solve problems. This is why I figured it was okay for our son to watch in the first place. In one episode, they even save an owlet. Aww, how cute. But apparently solving problems was not enough for the creators of the show and it was decided that an antagonist be introduced. The villainous Mayor Humdinger is introduced in season 1, episode 5b. Just be aware, this show might be the first time your child is exposed to intentional cheating, stealing, lying and hyper-competitiveness. It certainly was with our son. Don't be surprised if your child wants to role play and act out these behaviours after watching the show. This might sound funny, but after watching a couple episodes of Paw Patrol our son will spontaneously punch us, or grab our faces. And he doesn't do this after any other show. The show gets him hyped up, and the focus on negative behaviours in the later episodes seems to encourage bad behaviour. All to say, you might want to introduce these concepts at a later age, and in a way that provides insight.

t6

Paw Patrol

I like Paw Patrol because it's a great show to watch and I have all of the DVDs they have made. My Favorite character is Marshall because he's the funny one. My Favorite season is season 5.

I am 22 and I love paw patrol from New York

I love Paw Patrol because they make me happy even I’m 22 now that’s funny, but the show makes me happy when I’m single I like the show because these cute pups are the best for me! When I was young I don’t experience to have Paw Patrol or cartoon stuff in my life! Now I have Paw Patrol pillowcase and bedsheet I really like it, before I don’t know there mama but now I know there names Ryder,Marshall,Chase,Rubble,Zuma, Rocky & Skye they are the cutest and I really love these Paw Patrol characters makes my heart melt! I’m from the Philippines too! They make me comfortable and happy let’s go!

Paw Patrol and Preschoolers

It's uninspiring and lacks any moral compass. Like most nick Jr. shows, this is borderline preschool entertainment. Some references to monsters and many thematic elements make this show one to keep your young kids up at night. It's pure kid entertainment with little to no educational value or moral guide.

Good show

Except my 18 year old son keeps on ruining perfectly innocent shows that are meant for kids by writing inappropriate fanfics!!! He does this with bubble guppies too. How do I stop this? Hope he doesn’t pass this onto my 16 year old and my 9 year old