Parent reviews for Pretty Little Liars

Pretty Little Liars Poster Image

Pretty Little Liars

This show was great for my 11 and 13 year old daughters. The fact that some people are saying 18+ is ridiculous! I can see where you are coming from but as long as your kids understand what is right and wrong, there is no harm done. Besides, kids have to see the real world, a teen doesn’t need to be babied, they need to become adults capable of their own decisions.
3 people found this helpful.

love it!

i have watched this movie over and over again and its the best although at some points it is quite scary so i do suggest parent or carers either watching it first or watching it with them because some episodes are either inappropriate or scary... in my opinion the whole thing is great but dont let any kids under 13 watch because theres strong language and some scene are very 15+ but i do recommend watching this... it is unavailble on netflix but bbciplayer has the whole seasons!

Late to watch, same if back then

SPOILERS AHEAD (maybe) Okay the show first started off pretty alright. Though it very quickly got very tedious and repetitive real fast. Sure teenagers 16 y/o don't know any better. But after years and they still do the same things that got them in trouble and people killed, just makes you hate them all. For the so called "mystery" I honestly didn't care who was after them, after baiting you to think it was x person numerous times. Storyline, kind of lame, just rinse and repeat as always. Mysterious text? Lets keep lying and repeat the same stuff we did that got us in trouble the first place. Years later do we learn? NAH LET'S JUST DO IT AGAIN. It just gets aggravating. Character wise, all their developments showed very little progression. Sure they all overcame issues, but they pretty much immediately forgot it. Aria, just kissed a bunch of guys, and then backs out saying "oh my god, I shouldn't have done that!" Numerous times. Hannah they just couldn't figure out if she was badass relatable girl, or the cliche dumb blond (though all the girls were pretty stupid). Emily, lesbian chick was alright, just followed blind love into danger. Spencer tries to be role model girl but really goes a bad path for it. Overall, I honestly just wanted to stop watching after the first "A" was truly revealed the first time. Afterwards it just repetition of just resenting them more and more. Honestly show would've been better if anyone of then had died. I honestly liked side characters more than the main cast. The show just really isn't worth the watch unless you really just want pretty girls and followed by cliches. Some extra, one thing I hate the most is overplayed music, seasons like 5-7 is almost songs every other episode to set the "mood", really annoying. Acting is uhm yeah... I'll leave it at that. Personally the show is a 3/10. A lot of what normal people would actually do isn't done, just pretty people, just repetition, teenagers shouldn't be trying to do what they did at all ever.

Great mystery show for tweens and teens!

Pretty Little Liars is a fun mystery show full of suspense and drama and romance. My daughter watched it 3 years ago when she was 10 and loved it, it's her favourite show now. There is lots of lying (often to parents), some cheating, occasionally some excessive drinking, and one teen takes drugs (although you never see her taking them and she has to go to boot camp when her parents find out). HOWEVER, your kids don't copy what they see on TV! TV is for entertainment, past the age of 7 your kids don't need shows with "good messages". The only good message in PLL is loyalty, most of the stuff they do is kind of bad, but your kids won't copy them if they are responsible! Teens don't act like this in real life, it's all hammed up for the show so don't worry about your kids trying to be like the main characters. The only bit I might worry about is the teacher-student relationship. I think it's a good idea to talk to your kids about how this is illegal and wrong before they watch it. The show tries to lower the weirdness level by making the teacher only about 4 years older and they met before he became her teacher and it's the student who keeps saying they should stay together, but if you look at it as if it was real life it is still illegal and wrong. Halfway through Season 2 he stops being her teacher so it stops being weird luckily. But make sure to talk to your kid about how this is not okay, so that they don't get the wrong idea from the show. The rest of the stuff they already know. VIOLENCE: There is much more suspense than violence (some scenes have lots of drama and suspense emphasized by scary music.) The main plot of the show involves a teenage girl's murder but you never see her body. A few dead bodies, but they are more eerie than scary. Barely any blood and no gore in the entire 7 seasons. Most dead bodies are just pale people lying on the ground with no blood, one is hung with a rope but you only see him after he has been hung and his face is very pink, that's all. Someone is stabbed (not fatally), some blood but no gore. At one point, in the almost pitch black, the sillhouette of a teenage boy's body lies on the floor next to an axe. The girls can't see (and you can't either) but it is suggested he has been decapitated. There is a dark roundish object at the bottom of the stairs that could be his head. It sounds much worse than it is - no gore whatsoever. SEX: Lots of kissing and cuddling. Occasionally a guy is seen shirtless. "Sex" scenes never involve having sex. The couple kiss and cuddle a lot, make their way to the bed and lie in it kissing, and then the scene ends. In some of those scenes they take their tops off (the girl always has a modest bra or vest on, no real nudity) and while they are kissing the camera shows their backs or arms to give the impression they are about to have sex. Afterwards the characters reference that they had sex, but never anything explicit. Consent is almost always confirmed with "are you sure?" "I'm sure." One character is gay, this is referenced a lot while her semi-homophobic parents try to understand her coming out. In a flashback, we see that her best friend (the one who died) once took advantage of her sexuality and kissed her, before telling her she wasn't interested. She has girlfriends and ends up in a stable relationship with another girl in the last season, who becomes pregnant with their child. If you're not okay with one of the main characters being gay, you might not wish to show your children this show as it is very pro-LGBTQ (although, again, it won't turn your child gay if they see a gay girl on TV so if that's the issue then it's fine). LANGUAGE: The word "bitch" is used pretty frequently, often by the girls to each other in a joking way (e.g "wake up, bitch"). "Ass," "damn," "hell," "oh my god" (as an exclamation) are also used, but the only swear word used is "bitch". DRINKING/DRUGS/SMOKING: The girls sometimes drink a little at parties in the later seasons when they're old enough. Parents also drink a little at parties or events. At one point in the first season, one girl brings a flask of alcohol to a party when she is underage and her friend (also underage) drinks it all after a phone call with her long-distance girlfriend who she thinks might have moved on. She gets very drunk but regrets it in the morning. Sometimes characters drink excessively or get drunk but there are usually repercussions. A mother finds drugs in her daughter's girlfriend's bag and the girlfriend is sent to boot camp. Overall this is a great show, and if your kids are responsible at all they will not copy the characters (although, again, probably remind them that the teacher-student relationship is wrong while he is still her teacher). I recommend it for 11+. If your child is clued up and okay about all the stuff in here they can probably watch it at 10, and if you are worried your child will get scared or grossed out by the kissing then best to leave it until they are 12 or 13.

Very entertaining

This show is very entertaining. But I would not recommend it to anyone under the age of 14. This show keeps you in suspense all through seasons 1-7. Although it does deal with some very big problems. One girl is dating her teacher, there is some drug and alcohol abuse, and there is a few scenes that can be very spiritual. There is also sex scenes, but they don’t show more than a topless guy. There is some frightening scenes as well that could be very disturbing to some people. Including murder (some dead bodies shown), violence (such as stabbing, punching, and hitting), and some creepy scenes that keep you on the edge of your seat. The five main characters keep many secrets from each other, family, partners, and even the police. Lying is a constant thing. One of the main girls goes to an insane asylum, and there are a few scary scenes. There are parent issues as well. Such as having affairs, divorces, and keeping many secrets and not being honest with their kids or their partners. There is some swearing such as bitch (used numerous times), ass, shit, damn, hell. The four main characters stick together although, and encourage, help, and care for one another. Overall this is a very exciting, suspenseful, and entertaining show.