Parent reviews for Runaways

Runaways Poster Image

Why are so many ppl acting like this is soo inappropriate?!?

I don't understand all the bad reviews. As a huge Marvel fan I don't find it as interesting as some other Marvel IP's nor does it have the same feel as the MCU, but after the second episode I was hooked. As far as this being inappropriate, some people may be super conservative and that's their choice, but this is on Disney plus for a reason, because it's been evaluated as age appropriate. All the horrible things that are mentioned are handled in an age appropriate manner. Nothing explicit is shown. As far as the lesbian kissing scene, it's two girls kissing. So what. If it were a guy and a girl nothing would have been mentioned because it's not a steamy sex scene. Another comment I saw someone make was concerning a mention of menstruation. So what. It's something that half the world goes through once a month. Nothing to be freaked out about. I don't go through it because I'm a guy, but it's no secret that people should be ashamed of talking about. Masterbation is mentioned but so what. If you think teens don't do it you're mistaken and have forgotten what it's like to be a teen. While it is definitely a private thing it's not a shameful thing. Treatment as a shameful act can lead to unhealthy feelings about it, and intamcy in general. And the "rape" scene, the intent of rape is implied. No rape on or off screen and no attempted rape. It is heavily implied that they boys intend to rape her. Other reviews say the girl that was carried upstairs passed out from doing drugs. That is inaccurate, they must not havd been watching very closely. She was handed a pill which she later threw away. She passed out from taking off a bracelet that is integral to her character. Before anything goes too far a guy steps in and saves her before any harm comes to her. While this show gets near some adult-like themes, overall I agree with it's official 14 + rating and find this show appropriate for any 14 year old and potentially appropriate for some as young as 12 if parents use discretion as far as evaluating their individual child's maturity level.
2 people found this helpful.

It isn’t as bad

The TV show is essentially a teen soap opera. Therefore, it is supposed to appeal to kids from ages 13+. Yes, there are drugs present in one episode, but against the character’s better judgement, she chose not to take it. Yes, two boys attempt to rape a girl, but is saved when her friend saves her. The kids also grieve the loss of their friend, this is not a bad thing. If you ask me, I think it will teach one how to properly deal with loss—to depend on one another. The core of the show is friends turned family. A lot of good messages can be learned from the show.

Not for children

You have lots of violence and death. You have one actress whose boobs are shown to an extent and lets just say they are definitely fake. It is overdone and way to much junk added in. We all like magic but the violence is 90% of the show. I would avoid letting little ones watch it.

Mature material

14+ is not an accurate age representation. This shows first several episodes deal with murder in the form of human sacrifice, teen drug use, rape, extramarital affairs, ... It's all both immature and on top of that it's slow moving. For the associated age rating through commonsense media, this is just too much of everything.

Love this show!!

I love this show so far I'm hooked on it. There are some sex scenes no nudity and mostly implied. There is underage drinking. And leave it to Disney to put more lesbians in there shows there's a lot of that in this. A good amount of violence but nothing graphic.

There’s really only one scene to help you decide

Episode 6 -24 min in in a husband walks in on his wife having obvious sex (like she’s “on top” and moving and naked) with a cult leader who it’s later revealed she met when she was a child (so kind of incest-cult yucky.). That being said I like the show as an adult but it’s really kind of a “Heroes” knock off with super stereotyped teenagers.

Not for younger teens

Marvel is usually pretty good. Disney+ has been decent so far. This show presents as being a tween/teen show. Putting all that together, I let our 15yo screen an episode to see if it would be a good series to watch. Between the swearing, sexual content, creepy cult activities, and violence, she pulled the plug on it herself. This is not a show for kids/teens and should have strong content warnings on it.

For all of you complaining, it ISN'T that bad. Sheesh.

I will go ahead and leave it as simple as this: This show is based off of a comic book series, an OLD comic book series like batman and such. Comics (even batman for those of you that allow your small children to adore him) allow violence, sexy stuff, bad language, etc. I, personally, am happy that they kept it the same as the books! It's not often they do that! Chances are your kids have probably read it and understand it more than you think. Yes it does have some intense scenes, but I assure you, they hear and see far worse in the hallways and cafeterias of their school.

Totally INAPPROPRIATE.

Bad. Terrible. I do not recommend this for kids 16 and under. My son says it scared the crap out of him. We were looking for a movie to watch and this looked good, so we started watching it and it was pretty good at first, but then a woman was convinced to have some drugs, then was almost raped. Me and my son are never watchin this again.

Great show

I think that many people can benefit from the good messages in the show.