Parent reviews for Sofia the First

Sofia the First Poster Image

Not appropriate for young kids

I love the idea of a princess show for kids that actually brings in other princesses. It is very hard to find princess shows or movies for kiddos under six. I personally feel Sophia does encourage bad behavior. Not only is amber usually always mean, they tend to treat those *below* them as If they do not hold value compared to them. I do feel yes eventually they go over what happened and usually apologize but I still feel it relays the wrong message. Not only that, but why do Disney shows for kids always have to have a villain? Seriously. When kids are young and at an age under 7 before they can consciously understand that big picture and how to reason etc. They are very monkey see monkey do. And they need to be encouraged with positivity. Meaning the shows they watch should have that and that only.. I still have yet to find a disney show that has just that.. a few nick Jr shows do. But they sometimes still have the bad guy (Like mayor humdinger in paw patrol why?? Or lady marmalady in buttrbeans) it's not necessary. And teaching kids to be cruel to others is not right at that age. They need to make a princess show where they are consistently kind and promote positivity ( look at daniel tiger for example!- it takes lessons but encourages positivity) I just wouldn't recommend this to younger kids.
4 people found this helpful.

Negative messaging followed by positive is not good for children.

My 3 year old daughter wanted to watch this show and I have watched the first few episodes with her. So far in the first 3 episodes or so, this is what the show teaches us: - You will be judged for being different, changing yourself to fit in is good. - Boys and girls cannot participate in the same activities. - We should be afraid of others who look different and have different customs. Of course by the end of the episode we learn the opposite of these lessons, but child psychology research shows that negative lessons are the ones that stick. So the kids are learning that they will be judged, they can't do things others can do, and it is not okay to be different. Super disappointed in the show. It has cute moments, but watching it I could tell it was made over 10 years ago. Children are becoming more tolerant and accepting than ever, shows like this do not belong in 2020.
1 person found this helpful.

Bad messages sweetly disguised.

I watched only the first episode, but that was enough for me. Plenty of what I thought about it has already been said (these mean, mean kids!), but I want to talk about something that I haven't seen, which is the message in this show about winning and losing. What really grates at me is the conversation the main character has with her Mom. Little Sofia is frustrated because no matter how hard she tries or how much she practices she can't seem to catch up to the boys who have been practicing for ages. So she asks her mom "Do you think I can make the team?" The response I was hoping for? "I don't know if you can or not. But I'm excited to go watch you try!" Her actual response? "I know you can! What matters is if YOU know you can." ... what? So here's the problem: If you are a princess in a cartoon we know you are always going to win in the end. If you are just a regular kid, you might lose from time to time. This just proves that you are NOT a princess. The takeaway message? If you really want something badly enough and work at it, you will always come out ahead of everyone else. Or there must be something wrong with you.
1 person found this helpful.

Too much mean until the 'sorry' at the end

Could be great, my daughter loves it and is angry at me for taking it away. But she has been much more 'fresh' after watching this show. There is a lot of teaching kids about how to be mean to each other before a very quick 'I guess we shouldn't be mean' at the very end. My daughter has learned much more from the examples of bad behavior than the quick reason why you shouldn't have bad behavior at the end. Too bad.
1 person found this helpful.

Not a good influence for young children

The behaviour of some of the children (and adults) in the show, including Sophia, is unkind. Yes at the end of the show they usually “learn a lesson” but those lessons will be lost in children under 5 who can’t see the big picture or don’t finish the whole episode. Very materialistic and into appearances.

Disney Fails Again - Too Many Stereotypes

For a show that is suppose to break the stereotypes, all it does is feature stereotypes. Disney is nothing more than Leftist indoctrination for the young and impressionable. I only came across this awful propaganda because I was selected to participate in a study about gender norms and behavior. The episode I viewed was filled with gender and racial stereotypes. I'm glad that my children are not interested in this show as I don't find that it can teach anything of good moral, value and character to them. It does nothing but give the impression to children that if you are a certain skin color, hair color, gender, and economic background then you must obviously behave as such and such.

Offensive and Awful Rolemodels

After watching five or six episodes with my 4 year old, I've determined that this show does not demonstrate good role models or teach the life lessons I want her to learn. The "mean girls" attitude of exclusion, judgement, and teasing spout forth from her snooty princess friends. The show doesn't do nearly enough to make clear how unacceptable their behavior is. Further, Sofia is *always* right, she thinks she knows everything, and she's smarter than her father. My 4-year-old already thinks this way, I don't need Sofia to model it. If that's not bad enough, the gender role lessons are awful. I'm not just talking about all the princesses having 2 inch waists, there's blatant and painfully offensive sexism right on the surface. If you think I'm being overly sensitive, how would you feel about your 4 year old learning and singing this song: Princess Things: Amber: There are many things princesses do, Like hosting balls and dancing too Or wearing gowns of pink and blue That's what we like to do Hugo: There are many things that princes like, Jousting polo and taking hikes Suits of armor with lots of spikes That's what we really like Princesses: We do princess things Princes: And we do princely things All: And no-one crosses in between We stick with our routine It gets worse from here: http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Princess_Things I understand that the idea they're trying to present is that Sofia thinks maybe anything can be a princess thing. You know who doesn't understand that after listening to and singing this song? My daughter. In the episodes I watched, the morals and life lessons were bolted on at the end. I'd rather see morals and positive role models throughout the show. I blocked this show on her Netflix account. There are so many better options.

amazing show!

i loved this show, it was very entertaining when i watched it. perfect for little kids to enjoy! every single episode had a lot of thought put into it and the animation was very pretty.

Wonderful lessons in empathy and acceptance.

In a nutshell... I love this show and the lessons it teaches my kids (one boy and one girl). They were allowed to watch this from age 3 and even now at age 7 and 8 they still enjoy watching this on occasion. The aspects I like best are; 1. Sofia's family is blended (both parents are widowed and now married). The first episode focuses on the difficulty of the king's children to accept Sofia and how they began to overcome this. 2. Every character is flawed and utterly human. There is a focus on standing up for what is right, being empathetic, learning to change and to apologise, accepting differences and self acceptance. 3. This is one of the few Disney princess movies/TV shows where the stepmother/father are kind and loving. I feel there are a lot of lessons blended families can learn from this. 4. The music is gorgeous! 5. Even the villans have a good side. It shows everyone has good in them and often reasons for acting the way they do. Miss Nettle and Lucinda the witch are examples of this. Even Mr Cedric the wizard has his moments (and he fails hillariously every time). The not so good aspects; Here in Australia I found it difficult to find toys, books, stationary and the like based on Sofia the First. She is part of LEGO's duplo range but not included in the Juniors or Princess range which I was disappointed in. The reality is kids love products to do with their favourite shows and I found it hard to give my kids this.

sofia the first is the best cartoon ever

Sofia the first is a brave girl who treasures her family dearly and also has the responsibility to be the protector of the everolm she would do anything to keep her family and village safe its a good cartoon it will teach kids how to behave and be brave and strong. I mean personally, my little daughter Olivia she is 9 years old and man is she brave and sweet and kind just like Sofia, she learned her English from Sofia. I'm so proud of my Olivia we once went camping it was a mommy and daughter camping trip, I went to collect a few logs but fell in a ditch thankfully I had my whistle I blew it and Olivia came running with her rope I was to heavy for her but she pulled me up just like Sofia would do im so proud of her for saving my life if it wasn't for her I may be still in that ditch haha. Anyways my message is that Sofia the first is a good educational cartoon and she a good role model for kids . in the episode orvor royal Sofia saved her family and kingdom from a powerful sorcerous.