Parent reviews for Spirit Riding Free

Spirit Riding Free Poster Image

Don’t bother watching spirit

I don’t want my daughter to watch this because the main character lucky first is sneaking out of her house and also her dad and the teacher dating is inappropriate and I saw them kissing and dancing together so I do not think anyone should watch this

2 people found this helpful.

Great Preteen Show. Think of it as a new Lizzie McGuire.

This is definitely not for children under 10. I've watched this while babysitting younger children, and they're not able to comprehend and follow along the storyline other than appreciating the sense of adventure. I say it's like Lizzie McGuire, because the characters are the same age and the shows are for a similar target audience. I didn't like the show at first because the original Spirit movie was my favorite animation ever. After watching a few episodes, the characters grew on me. As the seasons progress, there is definitely an increased amount of lessons revolving around coming of age and changes. There is romance, there is loss, there is perseverance. It's definitely a different vibe from the original movie, but it has also be come a great show that I find enjoyable to watch even without children around.

Bad examples of behavior

Why can't there be good horse shows with good behaviors and plots? We were horrified at the attitudes and social skills of the characters.

Wonderful

I have watched all the seasons really good

1 person found this helpful.

Putting kids in jail, racial stereotypes, gender stereotypes

All of the kids in this show are 12-14 years old. They run into an indigenous boy who is running around with a shaved horse, no supplies, no back story, just 'living off the land' even tho he has no supplies or specific tribal association or distinction. They then proceed to make you presume he gets shot at one point and then the 12ish year old girls break him out of jail. In other episodes, jail is a punishment that is threatened to these children often. The young males in the show are disturbing and in one episode this blonde kid makes other kids risk their lives in a mine because he knows they are easily manipulated and he wants to make money. Lucky gets repeatedly gaslighted by the boy. No adult intervention or explanation of healthy conflict resolution and also no one ever validated her position in defending the other kids. Its also never made clear when this takes place or exactly where in the west.

Cute, but dangerous

This is cute for a child who will NEVER, EVER interact with a real living horse. My daughter is 1, so I’m okay with her watching it for right now, but but she will not be watching this is another 6 months. We own real horses, and this series shows kids that they can do SUPER dangerous things with horses. Like trick riding, pulling a foal out of a horse giving birth, stealing other people’s horses because they look slightly underweight, getting your horse to rear up while riding because “it looks cool”, and of course “taming a wild horse”. When I was 8 I snuck over to our barn and jumped on an untrained horse and got thrown off and hurt because of movies like these. So yes, it’s adorable. But I wish it showed the girls actually respecting horses and how to act around them. Horses can be dangerous and this show makes them look like puppies and kittens.

Love this show

Great for people who love riding fast on horses

It’s a good movie with lots of very fun adventures

Not the suggested rating-

I'm not going to give any spoilers, but when my kids watched this, it was to very healthy. I check the ratings here, but I realize it's not updated. A cougar attacks, people fall in love, kiss, get married, etc. It's not appropriate for kids -11. There isn't a lot of swearing, but way to much violence. There is also mentioned of buying bridles, horseshoes, etc which qualifies as consumerism