Parent reviews for Super Wings

Super Wings Poster Image

Not Deserving of the Hate

I think some parents who are giving this show such bad reviews need a little perspective. There are some exceptions though. If you are a parent and you are just annoyed by the character's inflection and voices, it is what it is. You can't help it if you're annoyed by something. But many of the complaints are unfounded. I've read things like "the planes make it from one end of the world to another too quickly" or "the parents let total strangers watch their children". But those reviews claiming the show is unrealistic never seem to mention the fact that it's about anthropomorphic airplanes. Even my wife said, "why do the kids always hang out with the plane?" To which I replied, "Because it's a giant talking robot?!" It's called suspension of disbelief, a trait that children have in spades, and many adults have all but lost. I can't imagine watching a cartoon about talking robot airplanes and not liking it because "there's no way a prop plane should be able to keep up with a super sonic jet in real life!" Reality check, friend - this isn't real life. I grew up watching a cartoon about mutated turtles who learned martial arts from a rat, and whose best friend was a news anchor. Talk about realistic. The other aspect of the show that I see being attacked is that it's not educational enough. Let's look at this with some perspective. The show is not designed to be educational. TV is not meant to teach children, but it can do a great job at exposing and creating interest and curiosity. I think that's the point. At dinner the other night, my son just turned to me and said "konichiwa". He's 2. He didn't remember what it meant, but it opened an opportunity for us to have a conversation. I can't imagine being able to just talk to my son about Japanese culture without an entry point, and the show provides that. It has been mentioned that the show does employ cultural stereotypes, but I think that's only a problem if it's done poorly or portrays characters in a negative way because of that stereotype. If the show had one culture shown as being lazy and another as being uneducated, that would be a real problem. That's not what it does. I recently watched the episode about a Russian girl practicing for her ballet recital. Yes, it might be a stereotype that ballet is big in Russia. The difference is that the show highlights the girl's interest in ballet, and shows it in a positive light. It values that aspect of the culture, not detracts from it. Not to mention that my 2 year old boy was riveted by the recital. That's a win in my book. Super Wings exposes children to the IDEA that there is a bigger world out there with cultures and interests that are different than your own. He's only really showed interest in 2 other shows; Blippi and Bob the Builder. Blippi tries to be educational and does a good job at times, but so much of the show just involves Blippi playing around and not really doing anything. Bob the Builder has good lessons in it, but I wouldn't say there's really any educational value, unless you're learning about tools. I am an elementary social studies teacher. Do you have any idea how little children know about the rest of the world? This is not an indictment on the educational system. Most world history and geography comes after elementary. But I can't even tell you how many students I've had in 5th grade who think the US is the only country in North America. This show won't change that, not without a little help from parents, which I'm happy to provide for my son. We talk about the cultures that interested him, the landmarks, foods, sports, activities, and so on. We research them online and he loves to see pictures of what those places look like in real life. Did I ever think the two of us would be researching the Belgian town squares by choice? And enjoying it? As a father, who is also a teacher, and a minority in the US, I accept that this show is not perfect or the ideal program for a 2 year old. But it's beneficial, presents other cultures in a positive light, and piques children's interest in other countries. Did I mention that my child LOVES the show? After an episode, he gets his toys and pretends to deliver packages around the house. It's a great show, and I give it all the stars for the opportunities it presents.

1 person found this helpful.

Good program for my 4 year okd

It’s a great show for a little kid interested in action hero’s. Nothing scary except my son did not like the volcano. But a great program with a perfect length of time.

5 star

Well my son Chip was in the middle of watching super wings and they just took it off Netflix.

Goes downhill fast

Season One was pretty good in that it shows kids in different cultures, they usually are learning good lessons, they teach some words in a foreign language. Season Two got kinda silly, with the addition of a lot of fantasy elements and the endings didn't always teach anything. For example, they accidentally loose a bunch of bath toys, they super size the bath toys to gigantic size and then solve the problem by making the toys into peoples houses. Season Three started to go downhill fast. An episode where a little girl has a YouTube channel where she plays with toys, her computer gets a virus and they go into the computer magically? A boy visits his mom on the moon? It's pretty obvious that at this point they just are trying to sell toys.

Good gender balance and cultural content

It’s one of the few shows with about equal male and female characters (unlike stupid paw patrol with 5 boy dogs and 1 girl dog and their male owner, that’s ruff). The Chinese girl did a stage play in the style of a Beijing opera action scene! The stage battle was true to the style you’d see in actual China. The kids acted out the monkey king and his pig sidekick, these are authentic and popular Chinese characters. They even set it to woodblock! Well done :)

Solid, fun show...even if unrealistic

We are a family of flight attendants and pilots and have found this to be a fun show for our 2 year old. Aside from the obvious embellishments of how planes work, as some have pointed out, (c'mon, planes don't really talk or walk onto your home either) its a fun program that teaches on kindness, teamwork, and culture. It's up to us as parents to expand on any lessons or info shared in any episode. Its currently our favorite.

Smurfette principle

One female plane for every 4 characters, the male characters have largely standard names and the most featured one is named “dizzy.” My daughters are excited about this token girl, because ”that one’s the girl one!”

Love the show but there are some disappointments

I love the show because my 4 year old daughter and 5 year old son love it!!! However, I don't think each country is treated the same. I watched most of a whole season and watched ever country show cultural importance and strong family dynamics, usually a Male parent and not the mother which is strange . I saw the Congo episode and was disappointed. There was no parents and the only cultural significance they could come up with was a gorilla. That saddens me. That for a great kids show they would drop the ball like that with stereotypes . Do better for the children's sake.

Music blues

My boy loves the show, however, the music is so loud at times that you can’t hear what they are saying.

Cute show

For those upset with the educational aspect of this show...I don’t think you should expect a tv show to teach your kids. If you want your kids to learn, then teach them yourself instead of plopping them in front of a screen. As for the show, I think it’s a cute simple show that is entertaining for my 2.5 year old son. He watches about an hour of tv a day, when I need to get something done. He loves this show and I think it’s a pretty positive show for him to watch.