All parent member reviews for Teen Mom

Adult Written bymelb19 February 15, 2011

Rewarding Bad Behaviors.

From the shores of New Jersey to the California coasts where the Kardashians reside, the message these shows are distributing to the youth of this country is that not only are their behaviors acceptable but that they can be rewarded with an income that will make them prosperous. More specifically there is one reality show that has especially gotten under my skin, Teen Mom. For those who are unfamiliar with any of the series, Teen Mom is a spin-off of the documentary reality show 16 and Pregnant. The series follows the former 16 and Pregnant stars in their first year of motherhood, documenting their struggles and successes. The show seems to be having a reverse effect on prevent teenage pregnancies in America. Earlier this year a news story from Memphis, Tennessee left me speechless. It was reported that 90 teenage girls were either currently pregnant or have had a baby in this recent school year. However this news story was just the beginning of my shock and disbelief. I discovered through some research on the internet that teen moms of the MTV series were being paid, $65,000 a season. Most of these girls on the show haven’t even graduated high school and they are earning around the same amount of money as a college professor! MTV’s main demographic is from 12-24. The young females that are watching these programs are indirectly told that being a teen parent is becoming more accepted in today’s society. It’s bothersome to me that Americans find entertainment in watching these teen parent’s daily lives, which have the possibility of being completely fabricated! We should be inspiring the citizens of our country to want to emulate the individuals who have made sacrifices to do something of assistance to others, not to strive to become America’s Next Train wreck.

Adult Written byLayneE October 7, 2010

Consider this one first.

I really like Teen Mom. It's a real look at the problem of having sex too young and getting pregnant.

Here's the deal though: while this may work as birth control, you have Amber beating the crap out of her on again/off again boyfriend, Farrah acting like a brat towards her mother (who, by the way, messed up her daughter's face in a fight), Maci making rash decisions that affect her child's emotional well being, and Caitlyn getting yelled at by her drug addict mother.

You need to consider the fact that there is also a lot of shots of the couples in bed together. How does your family feel about that? Would it be better to scare your children away from having babies, or protect them from seeing unwed couples asleep in a bed? It's a toss up.

Adult Written bygod god death January 13, 2010

Adult Written byteenmom1 April 22, 2011

this is a perfect example of people with different opionions...

ok so i know how some people can have their opionion on this show but, its the real world! no one is perfect and parents are hard on their teens because of they know this situation happened by sex and they dont want them to do it again. this show definantly has bad role models and very good ones. overall my opionion is that this is very age appropriate. i seen an 11 year old girl at my obgyn who was pregnant and im not sure if she watched this show or not but i know they show the very hard times and the joys at the same time. i love it!

Parent of a 1 and 8 year old Written bySteffauri516 July 21, 2011

More entertainment than educational~

Teen Mom is a documentary series that follows young/teen mothers raising their babies in sad or unusual circumstances with or without support. I realize that this show is made to de-glamourize teen motherhood and (hopefully) prevent teen pregnancies, in many ways it fails to do so. I watch the show because like many others, I find it entertaining; no matter what you see these girls go through on television, somehow one or more of them always seems to pop up in a Star or US magazine at the grocery store sporting breast implants, a bikini bod or serious problems that resulted from being on the show. If anything that just tells young women that if you get pregnant and keep the child you could be on this show, make tons of money and be set, but clearly that is not reality and in fact cancels out all of the semi-good things this documentary is trying to accomplish. This show would be too much to understand for my young kids, but I'd rate it on or off at age 12, depending on what you think your child needs to know/can or can't handle.

Adult Written byMaddylynn19 August 2, 2010

Rant

It follows four girls as they deal with life after delivering their children. No one expected them to be good role models. Obviously, since they were pregnant at 16. But when you put a show like this on TV, and teenage girls are watching it, role models are what these girls are going to become.

Farrah is a selfish, stuck up, brat without a clue. She had it the "hardest" of them all because she is raising Sophia alone. Yeah, right, her parents dote on Sophia. Yes her mother is a little overbearing, but Farrah, during the first season of the show, didn't seem to understand that getting pregnant and raising the child has consequences, and there are sacrifices to make. She really needs to appreciate her family more. I think if she did, and if she respected their boundaries...and acted responsibly, the conflict with her mother in the season 2 premiere could have been avoided.

Amber is a good Mom, for the most part. Her flaw is that she continues to put up with Gary. He is no good for her, or for her child. They need to separate both for their own good, and for their daughter. She says she needs to do what's best for Leah, but being in that situation, I'm not sure she sees what is best. It isn't healthy to be around their arguing. They are both very stubborn people, who never let the other get a word in, that's not changing if it hasn't yet. That relationship aside, she is a good mom who loves her daughter.

Macy is probably the most realistic and most mature of all the girls. She knows what she has to do, and does it. Like Farrah, she's going through it alone, Ryan clearly is no help. Her parents are very supportive too, and it seems that she has a good relationship with them. She's in school with some sort of ambition, she has a job, and she saw that her relationship with Ryan wasn't good for any of them. She's very mature.

I can't judge Caitlyn on her motherhood. She did a very brave thing in putting her child up for adoption. What she's going through now is what I assume is normal teenage experiences, obviously with the added emotional strain of not having her child. I can't stand her grammar, and the strange phrases she says like "Love on her." but that doesn't say much about her as a person. I don't think that her relationship or her life really has a place on the show. We know that she went through something really hard, and she still is facing a challenge with her home life, but it really doesn't relate to the other girls' lives.

Thank GOD that they didn't start the second season of this show with the girls from the second season of 16 and pregnant. That sends a terrible message "If you get pregnant, you can be 16 and pregnant, AND teen mom!"

It's better to watch these girls go through a few years of raising their kids, rather than a bunch of girls going through the first year...

Adult Written byshell4you July 22, 2011

More of a drama then documentary

Parent Written byTV67 January 14, 2013

It was Good when it first came out... :-(

Well I did like this show during season 1 and I also enjoyed the first 16 and Pregnant. Those two were the only ones that were actually trying to show a realistic view of teen pregnancy.

Now the rest of the seasons and teen mom2 are all garbage. It's basically just Jersey shore or real world where its focused more on the drama to boost ratings rather than to producing a positive message.

Parent of a 1, 7, and 11 year old Written byBeautyAndABeat December 15, 2012

Eh okauy

I watch this show on occation but i would never let my kids watch it yet

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 December 3, 2012

teen mom

How has the media treated the young mothers on this show? Have you seen them featured in celebrity magazines and TV shows? What kind of message does this newfound fame send to teens about the consequences of pregnancy?

What pressures do teens face when it comes to when it comes to having sex? Aside from pregnancy, what are some of the other consequences that teens face when they choose to engage in sexual activity? How about when they choose not to?

What changes take place when a teen has a child? What do you think is the biggest challenge for a teenage mom?