Parent reviews for The Brady Bunch

The Brady Bunch Poster Image

Perfect series for kids

We are pretty guarded on the media exposed to our kids. I bought them the Brady Bunch Box Set and absolutely love it. They mimic it, laugh out loud, see the values being portrayed. They know it was from a "long time ago", but that doesn't bother them. The worst part of the series would be the name calling - but even that is tame by today's standards. Not even a negative imo. I feel very comfortable letting them watch this series. Plus I remember every episode from when I was a kid!!

Great show

Great show a lot cleaner than today's TV. They do tease people about acting like a girl. There are also a few references to sex, but they'll probably go over their heads. A character does say the word sex, when he says, I think your mom has a problem with discussing sex. Also "the birds and the bees" are mentioned. There is a beach episode where there are women in skimpy bikinis. One time Greg comes up to a girl sitting on the beach and puts sunscreen on her bare shoulders. A lot of sibling rivalry. But it is still a great show and is a classic. All of the characters have a moral compass and usually try do to what's right.

A good show for each new generation.

This is a show where all the kids, despite wide variations in age, get along well (most of the time anyway) and work together as a team. The moral messages are wholesome as well and do so without being preachy. A good way to give kids these messages without risking them turning off. Although the pace is somewhat slow by today's standards, even by today's standards the pace isn't too slow. Moreover, when I watched as a kid in the 80s, I didn't think that the pace was either too fast or too slow- it was just right. As for teens not seeing the show's appeal, let me remind you that this show, during THE BRADY BUNCH craze of the 90s, was popular with teens and college students, perhaps more so than with younger children. So THE BRADY BUNCH has stronger appeal to teens than I gather you think. As for what you seem to imply that some will mind the wholesome tone of the show, I believe that its resurgence in the 90s occurred because it's wholesome, not in spite of it. And, while nonwhites rarely appeared on the show, the few nonwhites that did appear were always nice and portrayed in a positive light. As for what Stepheresa says about the overt focus on self-image, that's normal for teenagers. Moreover, that focus isn't not as strong here as it has tended to be on other shows that feature teenagers. The only thing that you'll have to watch out for with younger children is the sexism (which is why I put the green light at 7 rather than 5 or younger). It's particularly bad in the early seasons. You'll just have to remind your children of the way people thought back then. And again, it becomes balanced as the series progresses, most notably when Marcia beat Greg in a driving obstacle course that the family set up. There's only one other thing you should watch out for. I didn't notice this as a kid but did notice in adolescence, which I found a little disturbing. Alice was a female chauvinist. In other words, she seemed to like the girls better than the boys, as she talked more to the girls than the boys. I don't know if she really was or if it was just my observation. If she really was, was Ann B. Davis (who played Alice) more comfortable with girls than with boys, or did Alice's behavior come exclusively from the writers? If you think about it, you just might be asking these questions yourself.

Brady Brady Brady!

The Brady Bunch is mostly wholesome, but as the review notes there is a fair amount of sexism, balanced by the fact that in competitive situations the girls are usually seen as equals and sometimes even best the boys. I would add that one of the things my wife and I are noticing in adulthood is an overt focus on self-image, from Marcia's braces episode to Jan's obsession with beauty in "The Not-So-Ugly Duckling" (both Season One). We know the show very well, so will be more alert to some of these plotlines in the future and avoid those episodes. Will probably skip the "Greg is smoking" episode too.

Surprisingly Good!

I never watched it as a kid and decided to put it on for my 6 YO. It's actually a really nice show. I like that everyone isn't sarcastic/mean/smart-mouthed like they are in today's shows. It's a good wholesome show. Not sure that even exists today!

perfect for the entire family

i grew up with the bradys and this is one of the first shows i showed my kids. my kids love it. i don't have to worry about any language or negativity. it is kind of slow for this generation but it's better than what they make these days and if you watch a few, you'll want to watch more.

Perfect for everybody

I think this review is dead on. I grew up with the show and it one of my all time favorites, but it is somewhat dated and kids today may not get it. But there are somethings displayed in the show that hold true today.