Parent and Kid Reviews on

The Flintstones Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 16 parent reviews

Sort by:

Fred has lack of emotional control, but so do little kids so maybe there are lessons there for them

Some episodes are better than others for little ones. Seems like the later seasons with pebbles and Bamm Bamm have nicer Fred. The one with the scout troop is particularly cute and fun. Some of the earlier episodes have a meaner Fred so I don’t watch those episodes with my 3 year old. I think this show is best watched with your child just in case there needs to be some explaining or skipping. As far as people saying there are old fashioned gender roles and such, they are being pretty judgmental. Some people, even progressive people, still like to live that way. There is nothing wrong with one person staying home to take care of the child and the house. Children benefit from more at home time with mom or dad. Wilma never comes off as meek or subservient to Fred. She has a mind of her own and speaks it. Barney and Betty have a great relationship with each other and are great role models, they are kind, compassionate, funny, forgiving and understanding. Pebbles and Bamm Bamm are adorable and my child loves them. Fred is a difficult character to understand, he has a really bad temper but he is also loving and devoted to his family and friends. Because cartoons often exaggerate personalities I think kids understand that he has a good and bad traits. I think they can clearly see his bad behavior as a lesson of what not to do, as in the show Fred doesn’t get what he wants from his tantrums. So there are lessons for them in that way. Besides very young children have those same emotional swings so maybe they can relate a bit more to him than we can as adults who have learned emotional control.

Fred's a narcissist and everyone except Fred beats on each other

I remember hating this cartoon as a kid so I decided to start rewatching it to figure out why, and after watching the first episode, "The Flintstone Flyer," I now know why. Fred is a total narcissistic jerk and Barney just allows Fred to abuse him yet thinks he's a good friend. I remember this bothering me even as a kid. Fred beats on Barney, and threatens him with more beatings if he doesnt do what he says. The whole story is Fred being a bona fide narcissist, taking credit for Barney's invention, lying and deceiving his wife which Barney just follows along like a clueless wimp, and then the wives beat their husbands when they find out theyve been deceived. My family didnt behave this way, and even as a kid I couldn't figure out why this type of behavior was funny. I hated Looney Toons though also. I mean I HATED this cartoon as a kid, and after rewatching it as an adult, I now know why. It's detestable. It's not funny, and it's not something I think young kids should watch. No, I'm not a prude, I'm not some overzealous religious conservative, or someone who cant find slapstick funny. But Im NOT going to say a cartoon is awesome simply bc it's a classic, that other people enjoyed. It promotes narcissistic behavior, bullying, being a wimpy friend, and deception and violence between spouses. What's to laugh at? I think it was popular bc of the genuine creativity involved with the creation of Bedrock City, the inventions that blended an ancient stoneage setting with modernity, and I think thats what peoole loved and why we tuned in. I DID like that stuff about the cartoon, but I hated the story lines. So to the graphics and creative department I give 5 stars, but the script writing is a total zero.

Too violent, not great values for kids

Not suitable for children. Fred and Wilma are horrible role models. Fred is too violent and angry all the time, he constantly talks about punching people on the maw and constantly bullies poor Barney who has better values. Wilma does nothing all day and expects to be treated like a queen. There isn't sex or swearing but just by watching a random episode you can tell why the generation that grew up watching this turned out so violent.

Actually, The Flintstones used to be an adult cartoon in the same vein as The Simpsons and Family Guy. It wasn't until Season 4 when it eventually became a kid-friendly cartoon.

Fake Flintstones.

The original opening and closing soundtracks have been altered. Very bad decision there to edit out these memories. Also, the voice of barney rubble does not sound like his. I think that's been distorted too. Fred and Wilma sound the same. Betty ribble but Betty has a different appearance from the original. I can't relate to this version of the flintstones. Somebody screwed up royally and it reflects badly on Me TV as a whole. Very disappointing. I'm out.

many discussion points

Times were obviously different both when this show was first made and the time period when the show was set, so sexist comments and other forms of gender stereotyping are to be expected. Parents may also want to talk to their children about why Fred tends to get mad easily, as well as why Wilma's mother is so mean to Fred. Also, since Fred occasionally gets fired, this show might be a difficult one for some people to watch if their parents or anyone else they know has ever gotten fired. But Fred always gets his job at the quarry back. And this is a fun show to watch. While Fred and Barney occasionally fight, they always make up by episode's end. In fact, Fred is fiercely loyal to his friends. Please make sure your children get introduced to this show.

Give us all a break

I think middle class americans worry too much about absolutely nothing. It's the Flintstones for goodness sake. Must you protect them from everything? Even Fred, Barney, Wilma, and Betty?