Parent reviews for The Legend of Korra

The Legend of Korra Poster Image

Great characters and storyline, but some very dark themes

I loved Avatar: The Last Airbender and it is appropiate for slightly older children. While I really enjoy Korra as an adult, a children's show it is not. I would have said 14 and up had it not been for the problematically presented murder/suicide at the end of the first season. In a day and age where we are experiencing a suicide epidemic and rising rates of mental illness in adolescents, this scene was nothing short of irresponsible. While young children and less sensitive children might not be affected by it, others will be. Not okay for a children's show. The main characters are older teenagers and the overall all feel is darker and more mature than The Last Airbender. I love the powerful female protagonist.
5 people found this helpful.
1 person found this helpful.

The legend of Korra is the best

I think the legend of korra is the best cartoon ever because of this reasons : 1. It has a great and realistic relationship especially with teens. 2. the art of the world building and music is so powerful and flawless. 3. It has a many great life content and wise story telling.

My opinion

This is a very good spin off from Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I would watch The Last Airbender first because you have to get all the spirit and bending information and I think that the bending is really cool. I think what is really interesting about this show is that they bring in characters from The Last Airbender when they are older and it's interesting to see how they turned out.

I feel like the violence score should be higher due to the deaths in the show.

Spoilers for the show It often shows character deaths in a much more graphic way than it's predecessor, Avatar The Last Airbender. Some examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTiAyvVP7Ag&ab_channel=DunceBucketDunce… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP2WfDvilzw&ab_channel=Dynamo7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0xbBG8NzcE&ab_channel=AvatarVideosChan… To compare, here is the most graphic death in Avatar The last Airbender https://youtu.be/JURpgtHKEQE?t=98 As you can see, they don't even show the moment of impact on screen. However, the show has very good messages and role models.

Great Series Worth Watching Multiple Times

It's a good show.

It is a very bright show but , if you are under 10 the violence does happen a little too much. It does express gay couples between Korra and Asami. Not a lot of kissing and it is very bright . If your kid is mature to see non bloody or death resulting crime seans with a little quick breeze of discrimination sugar covered with a water bender story .

A light in the dark

Fair warning, this show is utterly wonderful and captivating, including for adults. It is helping get our household through the pandemic (2 adults, and kids ages 10, 7, and 5). This is a more complex, modern world than Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it has more ambiguity, and the show has more violence. I think anyone 9+ would be fine, and many families might be fine with younger. There is so much heart and humor here. I can't decide if I'm more excited for people to introduce their daughters or sons to Korra as a character; she is a wonderful, non-objectified, utterly powerful, hot-headed, big-hearted protagonist. The animation, the fight choreography, the humor, the world building...just enjoy!!!

It's appropriate.

As a grown adult going to college, I watched The Legend Of Korra before. I think it came out as a sequel for Avatar: The last airbender. Avatar Korra is nice, shes trying to be helpful and throughout the series she really is trying. Though there is some things that 8 and under should not see. for one people cheating on each other. gay relationships. It's not because I don't respect the lgbt community it's because many parents don't want you to discover lgbt until your much older. suicide. Thats probably it, overall its s good show for 9 and over to watch.