All teen and kid member reviews for The Legend of Korra

Teen, 15 years old Written byRevDragon April 15, 2012

Okay, but misses the charm of the original

As far as the avatar series is concerned, I am a real "avatard." Seeing the new series finally premiere was very nice. After watching the first two episodes I was a little disappointed, but not as much as I probably would have been had I watched the live action movie.

Thankfully the animation wasn't changed in anyway, it still looks like an "avatar" cartoon. The changes to the world are very weird however seeing how modern things are now.

My main dislike would have to be the characters or character as you will. I know it's the politically correct thing to have "strong" females, and there's nothing wrong with that. But Korra just comes off as annoying. How many times can you say "I'm the avatar" within one hour? This fact is thrown in several times and it gets tiring. She's not very likeable from my perspective, at least not like the former avatar was. The positive is she tries to do the right thing, but like a cocky, stubborn female, which doesn't give hints of much maturity.

Tenzin is probably one of the better characters that I've seen, quickly becoming my favorite. From his facial expressions to his lectures, I see a lot of his father inside him though Aang is not a living character in this series.

The current supporting cast is okay, nothing really special that I noticed about them.

The action is very entertaining. Everything I expected it to be as far as the bending and martial arts is concerned so there would be nothing missing from that department. Characters get hit with all the elements: fire, earth, water, etc.

This is something I will continue to watch, and for a fan like me, I still say it's worth a watch.

Teen, 17 years old Written byJ-Yo May 13, 2012

Wonderful Spin-Off

I was a fan of the original Avatar: the Last Airbender as a kid. Now, at seventeen, the spin-off is just as appealing. The fight scenes are easy for young kids to handle, but still exciting for older kids and adults. The magic of bending is still just as cool. The characters are so complex and intricate, and not just for a Nickelodeon cartoon. Korra teaches the importance of perseverance and teamwork, as well as how important it is to find balance within yourself and being in tune with nature. It's what you should be watching Saturday mornings.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMoviesAreForMe May 6, 2012

Epic!

This new avatar show is darker, but still as funny as the other one. Korra is like all the girls from the old avatar combined! I love Bolin and Naga. It was cool seeing old characters shown in this series like Katara, Toph, Zuko, Sokka, and of course Aang. I can't wait for new episodes :D

Kid, 9 years old April 28, 2012

Legend of Korra, "pals before gals"

The show is Seriously good! Super funny too. It helps with teens, and tween life issues in life. Kora is very clever, and smart. She is not sexy, to make girls want look all sexy and hot to make them feel bad about themselves. Kora is a cute,clever,smart,and powerful on the inside and out. This show makes girls feel good inside and not to feel the outside is what matters. One episode, Korra fell in love with her teammate, her other teammate fell in love with her. But her crush is already in love. She started to stop being depressed, and goes out with the teammate that likes her. Her crush argues with her about making him "jelouse" but she Realy wants to just have fun. Then her crush came over to talk and get along. Unexpectedly, Korra kisses him. Korra's crush saw them and got upset. He could not believe his own brother did that,he bursts into tears and felt his whole life was over. Then his brother apologizes which teaches brotherhood,and they get back in the game, Korra apologizes and they was all friends instead of boyfriends. They all get back in the game they had and won! Thats a great lesson. "pals before gals". That was a great episode that taught them a great lesson and your kids if they seen it. Korra is a great role model,she is a powerful girl alone.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymrbookworm01 April 15, 2012

Great show, but has a mildly dark storyline

I saw the first episode of this show and it's a really good show. However, the show seems to have a darker storyline than Avatar: The Last Airbender. But the show's really good and it's not too scary for kids 7+. Violence: Some fantasy violence during bending battles, but nobody gets seriously hurt. The show seems to have a darker storyline than Avatar: The Last Airbender, with a creepy masked villian making plans to get rid of the main character. But nothing too scary for young kids. Sex: Some references to teen crushes, but nothing too much. Consumerism: Based off the TV show, Avatar: The Last Air Bender, which kids might want to watch after seeing this show.

Kid, 10 years old April 24, 2012

the legend of korra

it is a fun show that kids will love

Teen, 17 years old Written byTheTruthForYouIdoits June 23, 2012

Violence With a Good Purpose

Honesty I love the series just as much as I loved the first although it has gotten much darker. The main villain of the first season, Amon, decides to flee the city with his brother but when they are in the boat leavening the city Amon makes a comment that "everything would be like the old days" right before his brother took one of the eclectic-gloves and put it over the gas tank to blow the boat up. It doesn't show any gore but it doesn't take much to realize that he just committed suicide to kill his own brother. They show the boat exploding but leave the rest to the imagination. Other than that though, the show is wonderful and has a lot of positive messages also. There is a strong female character other than the title character Korra as well, named Asami that makes the right choices even when tempted to do otherwise.

Teen, 15 years old Written byishaan sharma June 25, 2012

The Review Came a Little Early

This is, by far, one of the best shows I have seen in a long time. It is a perfect blend of action and comedy, and has socio-political themes that are also relevant in contemporary society. However, this review came out much to soon, and the show eventually became darker than one would have thought after the first two episodes. The finale for the first season ends with a man blowing up a boat to kill both himself and his brother (the main villain of the first season). While both men were cruel, and this was intended as an act of redemption, I still feel that it was too dark for a show on Nickelodeon. Regardless, the show is amazing, and I would recommend it to everyone.

Teen, 15 years old Written byThePClaugh June 16, 2012

Watch it.

This series takes story telling to a new level. It was originally suppose to be a mini series and the creators knew that. So they packed something into every line. You don't have to catch every line of dialogue to know what is going on though, but if your a fan of the old series, then you will wish that you will. The characters from Avatar the Last Airbender come back in the personalities and actions of their children. Korra may be the "great head strong heroine". So what? She is still a girl and a much more complex character than what most would make her out to be. Every line of dialogue has something to it.

So those are the good things and here come the things you should watch out for. Its staged in a 1920s era. Old cars, dirigibles and jazz. No drinking, but there are gangs who threaten shop keepers (of course Korra beats them up), but that is the least of the worries for parents. The main bad guy, Amon, is the basic embodiment of the spirit of communism. Talking about "equality" and fairness. Parents should discuss with their kids the dangers of those who preach "equality" and what equality is right and when it goes to far and becomes oppression on not just a minority but a majority.

Violence- The person who wrote the review above has not watched the full series. The bad guys use electric shocks hand to hand combat and at one point a water bender is bending the blood in some ones body to make them move like a puppet, it shows no blood but the sound the bending makes is kinda scary. Now this violence I could care less about since no one gets killed in front of the camera, but a little thinking would prove people do die. that I also could care less about. This is the type of violence without blood or gore, but obviously violence. It was well done by the creators so that it was not to violent for kids, but exciting for even adults.

Sex-not really. Mako and Asami kiss (he also kisses Korra or rather the other way around), but its not really anything to worry about. The relationships between the characters get complicated, so parents can discuss how people should deal with these thing in the real world.

Many characters are positive role models, but that can even extend to the bad guy Amon, who really seems like he just wants things to be fair.

Educational- There are historical figures represented by characters in the show. Hiroshi Sato represents Henry Ford for example. Amon represents a sort of Lenin, or Hitler. (good with words bad in actions) Parents can discuss these people with kids if they want.

Younger kids might not understand it completely, so they may get bored. Depends on the kid. My 6 year old sister watches it. :)

Its one of the best shows on any channel now days, with jokes and plot better than any show. Its awesome watch it. NOW!

Teen, 17 years old Written byBigbillyboy August 24, 2012

Action! Action! Action!

This is a great spin-off of another great show! Nice animation style,great adventure,ect.Recommend it to anyone!

Teen, 16 years old Written bySummerGaal June 2, 2012

Violent, but still great.

Being the obsessive mega-fan of the original series that I was, I was awaiting this series as soon as the credits rolled on the original's finale.
I have to admit, it's lived up to some of my expectations. Although its definitely not Avatar: The Last Airbender, it makes a good fill-in.
That being said, it's still perfect for those who didn't watch the aforementioned.

Like the creators have said, this is like A:TLA grown up. We've still got the drama/comedy mix, but it's more for older kids/teens. There are relationships, flirting, a couple of kisses, and a love triangle, but is completely chaste, and not so "icky" that it keeps boys from watching.
There's also violence; some of it getting to the point of being dark and downright scary. On one particular episode, the antagonists (The Equalists), take control of a social hub, electrocuting anyone that got in their way, blowing up portions of the building, dragging Korra and friends out of the water after they had been electrocuted, etc. We also see multiple police vehicles(both air and water) on fire and sinking in the harbor.
I don't know if it will get any worse, but that's been the most violent thus far.

Aside from that, Korra and her friends/allies are wonderful role models for both boys and girls. They teach kids to be who they really are, and to stand up for themselves and what's right.

Teen, 14 years old Written byjb321678 June 18, 2012

A wonderful sequel that manages to even improve from the original show.

In 2005 my favorite show of all time Avatar: The Last Airbender started and went down in American Anime history. It was smart, funny, and very cool. Sadly the show had to come to conclusion in 2008. Then a terrible move was based off the show and I really thought there was no hope for Avatar to keep going. But then when least expected The Legend of Korra comes. The Legend of Korra is a excellent show. It brings back great nostalgic memories from The Last Airbender but it also brings a new feel to the show. In many ways it is even more entertaining than Avatar. Saying that it is better than Avatar: The Last Airbender would be a little off. Honestly, I think it is just as great as the Avatar and no better. I do miss the characters from Avatar but the show brings in great new characters that are very well developed. Like I said, the show feels like Avatar. Thats what is so great. The animation looks like Avatar and it also has that awesome feel Avatar managed to so easily capture. What I like about this show is it feels more modern. It takes place maybe in the 30s or 40s era. The show takes place in a more urban setting than Avatar. That setting gives the show new opportunities to try new things and make it even a better show. I'm so glad The Legend of Korra is here. I was a little worried at first it would fail but I can assure you that is never going to happen.

Teen, 17 years old Written bysomerandomguy August 1, 2012

Awesome!!! But not as good as the Original.

Really impressed. I really enjoyed it. But not as much as Avatar: The Last Airbender. The story follows of teenage Korra who has mastered all the elements except Air. She has a teacher to teach her Airbending. She also journeys along the world saving people who need help and the people who were attacked by Amon. The story in this show is a bit darker though, but still, FANTASTIC!!!

Teen, 15 years old Written byicebrotha July 25, 2012

Awesome but could be a bit much for kids.

The aspect called Blood Bending in the show could be a bit scary for young children. Read other people's reviews to get a more in depth review. That's all I'm gonna say! Oh but it's an excellent show!

Kid, 11 years old Written bypusheen♥♥ July 7, 2012

Great show, but more mature then the original.

I have to say, this show is very good, but it doesn't have the same feeling as the original series. It's slightly more mature, but it has a light feeling over all.

•Postive Role Models: All of the female charaters are very strong
•Violence: This show can be pretty violent sometimes, but there's no blood (Just bloodbending)
•Icky Stuff: A budding relationship between two charaters, some kissing, a supporting character is pregnant and she has the baby in a later episode. Two characters used to be in a relationship, and lots of potty humor in later episode.

Over all, I think it's a really good series, but unlike commonsense media suggests, I definitely WOULD NOT let a four or six-year-old watch it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byspacechick22 May 26, 2012

My Favorite Show

One of my favorite shows on television! It caters to the fans of the previous series, who are mostly teenagers now, but is also great for younger newcomers to the Avatar universe. Great story, deep characters, and thoughtful issues make it more than just another cartoon. It is a bit darker and more mature than the previous show as it deals with mature issues, but the fun and humor is still there. I think it's great for kids, teens, and adults alike!

Teen, 15 years old Written byFuschiaphoenix November 17, 2012

My favorite show!

This is the we've been waiting for since The third season of Avatar: The Last Airbender ended. The first season of The Legend of Korra starts 70 years after The Last Airbender, but I have to admit the first season was very rushed. We're still waiting for three more seasons! So excited! LOK has a very devoted fandom, sometimes pairings and shippings get out of control. But anyway, this show definitely uses violence. Either from electrocuting your enemies or from the increases use of bombing buildings, you can bet it to be all about action and adventure to keep the show going. Slight romance, but nothing more than kissing and hugging. But when season 2 comes out-please watch it and see for yourself!

Teen, 13 years old Written byIsabel13 September 1, 2012

Does not interest me

I am not into superhero shows.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBriand19 August 14, 2012