Parent reviews for The O.C.

The O.C. Poster Image

Great Stuff

First can I say that like the other reviewers I was dragged kicking and screaming to watch The O.C. by my girlfriend. Secondly can I say that I feel that the review is unfair toward the show. Yes there are elements of sex, violence and drug use however, they always show that, certainly in the case of the drugs and violence, they are not always the way to solve problems. There is an element of sexuality to the show but you find me a teenager unaffected by sex or the thought of sex, in one way or another. However I believe that the show should have been rated TV-14 rather than TV-PG, due to the sexual content of the show. The characters are all likeable and after a few shows the depth of the characters becomes apparent. The show is well presented with very good camera work and the use of various music serves to exentuate the images. The show does get you hooked very quickly. Finally we should allow teenagers to watch shows like this and not treat them as though they are toddlers, most teens will do what they want anyway, and perhaps seeing this show will give them food for thought when dealing with problems in their own lives.

Great show

Like most guys, I was rather dubious of this show when Fox started promoting it. Then I watched a few episodes. Now I am hooked. You couldn't have gotten me to watch 90210 or Melrose Place without heavy sedation and lots of good, strong rope. So the suggested connection to the two stops at the setting. This is a wonderfully written show and all of the characters have real depth. Even the ones who don't seem to at first, you do get to see thier humanity at times, but then it gets reeled back in, much like everybody in real life. he drug use is rare, but there is planty of sex and violence, who else is shocked that a show about teens has sex and violence, it's not like real teens ever deal with sex or violence is it?

the Next 90210? NOT

Well first off i want to say that i was dragged kicking and screaming to watch this show with my wife (We try to watch programming together) anyway I figured I will give it a shot (at least the cast is cute) The same thing happened when my wife wanted me to watch 90210. I could only stomach about 2 episodes of 90210, while theOC has me hooked. Not only is it well written, but it has depth & tons of character. Seth (the witty Nerd) is Great. Sandy the Surfer Lawyer Dad is equally funny & interesting. The women on the show are not just pretty objects talking valley (with the exception of Summer). All in all FOX hit the nail on the head with this show. Witty, Fun, Hits some hard issues with out being over bearing. I would recommend watching this show with your Teen to talk about the Drinking/Drug Use. (ie Oliver getting busted for buying Coke.) and the other issues that a modern teen has to deal with. All in all a good Show. tune in every wed.
not rated for age

This show rocks my socks!!

OMG!!! I love The O.C. It is funny. Most people will say that it isn't realistic, but most, if not all, of the problems that exist on The O.C. exist in high school. Maybe not all to the same people, but they are there. The O.C. shows both positive and negative ways to deal with those problems, which is wonderful for people who are not sure of what to do.

ON TOO EARLY!

I live in Orange County, California, and this program just gives it a bad name. There isn't a whole load of drunk kids lying on the sidewalks and criminals living in our houses. It's on way too early! My 3 year old brother came up to me one day and asked me what a very rude term meant, and I asked him where he heard that and he pointed at the T.V! This says enough about the program!
not rated for age

Why would you waste your time?

There should be a TV-16 rating

I think "The O.C." is too racy even for 14/15 yrs old. I know that in high schools all over the US the risky/unacceptable behavior as shown by the teens in the show does exist. I just wish the teens on the show weren't so glamorized. I admit to using the ratings guide to support my decisions to allow my children to view certain programs. I said "no" to this show, but my daughter (13 yrs old)showed me the TV-PG rating to support her opposing argument. This show is very underrated at TV-PG, it deserves a TV-14 at the minimum. There should be a TV-16. As a compromise, I watch the show with her, and to her annoyance insist on discussing the program content with her.