Parent reviews for The Wire

The Wire Poster Image

Realistic Crime drama has a LOT of offensive strong language & some sexual content

The Wire is not only a crime drama, but also a regular drama that subtly talks about racism, drugs, the poor community, family, and the police department. It has a LOT of foul, offensive language, some violence, and sexual content.

The Wire

The Wire is one of the best tv shows on television and as someone who grew up in the Baltimore/DC area this show is so close to reality at times it is almost scary. The main characters while having flaws are good for what they believe in. The corruption in the police departments is a realistic and important part of the show because it shows one of the aspects of real life that most people choose to ignore. There is lots of language but that is life and so you can dela with that however you want. There is quite a few explicit sex scenes in the show so be ready for that.

A masterpiece but definitely not for children.

I think this is possibly the best show ever created for TV or film. It is incredibly real depiction of the industrial decay that effects many manufacturing cities and serves as an excellent metaphor for the class inequities in our country. However, I would not recommend it for children under 16. If your 16 year old or teen has a high level of sophistication then it would provide a great learning opportunity and discussion material about drugs, crime, and poverty. My son is 10 and I am looking forward to having such a discussion when he is older.

6 out of 5 Stars - but not for children

I won't offer a long review, as there are many elsewhere praising the outstanding series. The Wire is quite possibly the best television series (albeit pay television) ever made. That said, it is definitely not for all but the oldest, suitably mature children. The primary problem for children between roughly 12 and 16 is the occasional graphic (R-rated) sex. The second major issue for young teens, is that this series presents really complex social problems while recognizing/implying that no good solutions exist.

Amazing

Growing up and going to High school in Baltimore City when this show premiered it was inescapable. I did not immediately realize it at the time but this show taught me more than any college sociology class could ever dream. I have never witnessed a more realistic portrayal of the marginalized sub-cultures existent in modern urban America. The Wire provides an unwavering illustration of the fractured social, political and economic America paradigm. Forcing us all to challenge our moral perception of conventional teachings, by introducing us to ourselves. This amazing piece of cinematic beauty presents the truth behind our condition, that we are all corrupted, and though austere as the message may seem, the Wire gratifies through the liberation of cultural inhibition. Crime, tragedy, death, pain, sorrow; are as real and unavoidable as happiness, or ecstasy. And it is these elements of life that are reflective in everything we do, create, or provide. The Wire could not have captured this axiom more perfectly. A must watch for all.