Kid reviews for Storybird

Storybird Poster Image

Waste of Time and Money

Hello, I am 17 years old, and I have been writing on StoryBird since the very beginning. I was there when you could follow people, make friends, and have conversations in the comment sections. I was there when poems were formed by a random selection of words. I was there before memberships and before tickets. After the update, I found that not only did StoryBird ruin itself, it sold itself to money. My biggest critiques are these: 1) I have been writing a novel for some time, now, and I wanted feedback from other readers. So, I publish on StoryBird. Every time I do, they either publish my story under a rating that doesn't even exist so no one can see my work, or it doesn’t show up at all under the New Works section in the Reading portion of the website. I have Twenty views, and all of them are myself. 2) I bought a membership, yet processing and editing of my book still takes way too long to read and revise. I'll publish a chapter and have to wait a week for a notification. 3) To publish a long form story, it’s a minimum of four tickets. But as your word count increases, the ticket number goes up until I can only publish one chapter a month. Also, if I have tickets left over, they are erased and replaced with my 10 (membership monthly tickets) instead of being added on. All in all, the website has bombed in my book and it’s lost so much popularity because of the update.

Membershippppp

It's an AMAZING website, but, after you have finished your 7 day trial, you have to pay for a membership to have access to over 80% of the things you can do. If you don't have a membership, you can't publish any books, you can't complete challlenges, etc. If you want to read other people's work, sure, but if you want to do anything other than read and comment on others' stories, then you should find another website.

An Amazing App With A Great Community

This app is incredible! You can write your own stories, read and give feedback on other's stories, and chat with people from around the world. The stories ARE age-gated, so you can only read stories appropriate for you. There are areas to ask questions and ask for feedback from other users. After publishing a story, you will get great feedback from amazing staff members. The only downside is that you have to pay for a membership. Other than that, this app is amazing!

Fun, Kid-Friendly Writing Platform; Really Only Worth it if you get a Membership

Storybird is a writing platform that allows kids of all ages to create and share original stories. You can choose artwork from a wide variety of very talented artists or upload your own to use. You can also 'publish' your stories for other users to read, comment on, and give feedback. A membership is required to create stories, but it is relatively cheap for what you're getting. A choice to purchase hardcover and softcover prints of your stories is also available. You can create longform (chapter) books, picture books, comics, and poems. It does have strict rules on what you can publish and who can see it. It also only allows original works of fiction, so if you're looking for a place to publish fanfiction, I'd say your best bet is Wattpad. I've been a Storybird user for about three years, and I find it pretty easy to use. Great Messages- 5/5- It encourages kids to write both in and out of classrooms, fosters imagination, and the feedback is always constructive. Only kind comments are allowed. Violence- 2/5- Some stories include violence. Read at your own risk, but I've never seen anything obscenely violent. Sexy Stuff- 1/5- Same. Guidelines are pretty strict on this, and I've never seen anything very dirty. Swearing- 1/5- Read at your own risk. Since it is a children's platform, stories that use adult language are usually unable for children to read. The worst I've seen are a few instances of h***. Consumerism- 0/5- Since you aren't allowed to use copyrighted material, there's not much. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking- 1/5- Some images you can use depict smoking. Read at your own risk. Safety- 4/5- Users are required to create a username that masks their identity. They are encouraged not to reveal info about themselves in stories and comments. I guess comment threads could allow you to talk to strangers, but it's very moderated.

I HATE THE NEW UPDATE!

I really adores this app before. You could not only read interesting and diverse stories, but you could also write your own! For free! With stunningly beautiful artwork created by talented artists. However, this all changed with the new update. Now, you have to PAY. You even have to buy a membership to WRITE a story, let alone publish it! Worst of all, I had some of my stories deleted because of this hacker that hacked my account and messed with it. Obviously, this website needs to improve it's security. All in all, what was once an inspiring and educating website for young authors like me is now a shameless cash grab. Maybe, just maybe they, Storybird, will withdraw the devasating effects of this update :( But until then, I should probably look for another age-appropriate site to write my stories on.

Issues With New Version

After I wrote a new book, Leap of Faith, I had wanted to read over it before it was published (it was being reviewed). When I did (and it was not like this before), half of the story was gone, and spelling errors covered the page. This is the second time this has happened since the update, and the first part of the story I had just written happened to be my favorite. I've seen lots of complaints about this version, and no one can any longer access the older website. I sent an email, got no response within two days, and mentioned other problems I've had. Very disappointed, but is fun to read books on. Be careful with children using this site, as they can access inappropriate books mentioning details of sex, cuss words, and pretend uses of drugs in stories.

I miss the old storybird

Storybird is a great website to harness your inner creativity but you use to be able to do whatever and write whenever but now you have to pay for everything!!! You cant write without a paid account when you use to sign up and thats it. Look i love storybird but i dont recommend it to people who dont like paying for shit.

It's really good... but be prepared to pay

It's a great platform for kids of many ages to read and write their own books to unleash their creativity, but to publish any sort of work you must have a subscription or a free trial. I would suggest the free trial first, then see if the child will actually USE the site, and then purchase a subscription if the child is interested. It can be a little misleading sometimes because it implies that you can do many things without a membership when that is not the case. Also, make sure the child knows not to write information about themselves in their work.

Most amazing online writers website!

This is a great site for users of almost all ages! Younger kids 8 and under may have trouble using the site, but anyone nine or older will love it! The artwork on this site is absolutely beautiful and allows a huge variety of pictures and creativity for artists to use. You can write and publish your own wonderful books very easily and read other great books by other story bird writers! This is an amazing site for all writers to use!

UPDATED VERSION SUCKS!

I loved this website. For years I have been using it to personally write and publish books for FREE. But Since last month, there has been an update. You have to pay in order to publish ANYTHING. You can't just publish and read for free anymore. I wish it would go back to the way it was before. You get 3 tickets when you sign up for the free trial. (Tickets allow you to publish) And when you use them up, you pay for more! Definitly not worth it, and i would try to find a different website.