Parent reviews for Tynker

Tynker Poster Image

What Tynker Really Is Like - For Parents Looking for a Good Coding Website

Tynker is an absolute ripoff. Coding websites such as Scratch or Cospaces are much better. My kid was also very, very dissapointed and constantly complained that Tynker was boring and he was better off doing something else. All families looking for a good coding website for your kids: Tynker is not for you. You'd be better off with Cospaces or Scratch.

Tynker is a Rip off of Scratch: From front to back.

Tynker is pretty weird. I initially started with it as my first programming language. My friend's brother a while later was using Scratch and I thought it was Tynker. I asked him what it was and he said it was Scratch. Scratch had come out way before Tynker and I was very impressed with Scratch's interface. It was basically Tynker but way better. More options, more sharability, better block concepts. Everything. Tynker literally copy-pasted Scratch in its entirety and changed one or two things to where it's "Different" and had "More blocks" You can easily recreate said blocks in Scratch with little to no effort. Not to mention Tynker's interface is buggy and it will crash a lot. The fact that Tynker is about $20 a month for a worse version of an online program that is literally free, I think it is pretty obvious who is the winner. The reason I'm not giving it 1 star is only because Tynker is Scratch but bad, meaning it at least accomplishes something right. Scratch is a fantastic platform and Tynker just pulled a mobile game rip-off kind of deal. Do not get Tynker. Scratch is free and does everything better.

My two (6 & 8) love it!

Tynker Fans

My kids have lifetime memberships with Tynker. They think it's great because it has both drop and drag coding for beginners and text coding for more experienced. You can learn how to create games using javascript. They have templates that make it easy for kids to create code. My kids have been using it for over 3 years and still play/create on the site. I also have had a great response with their customer service. I like having a safe educational site for my kids.

Great for kids - fun so they do more

Tynker is great for kids and they don't need my help to complete courses and projects. It's fun so they want to do it more and then learn as they go.

Need basic programming knowledge to understand Tynker

Need basic programming knowledge to understand Tynker. So either a teacher or a parents with prior basic programming language knowledge has to teach the children about few things as mentioned below. To use this game the students need to understand the follow: 1. What is conditions in programming? 2. What is 'If' statement? 3. What is the meaning of 'return' in programming? 4. When does a 'if' condition return 'true'? 5. When does a 'if' condition return 'false'? 6. What is coordinates? 7. What is x coordinate and y coordinate? 8. What is if... then... ? 9. What is if... then... else? 10. What is a loop? 11. How to execute loop to display multiple outputs? 12. what is hexa-decimal numbers? Also need a high-end computer/ laptop to use it without any problem. 8GB RAM. intel core i5 and above. Because the programming game is build using some design tools scripts like flash scripts, which needs a good computer to use it without delay. It is a good website, but the children's understanding depends on the teacher/ parents who teaches the children.

Awful

I do not suggest Tynker at all. Instruction videos are not instruction and go at a pace impossible to follow. The code blocks provided in create do not match the tutorials AT ALL and even the tutorial codes do not work. I’m really not sure how this website is considered an educational resource because it is anything but. I have a subscription through our charter school and if I could cancel right now I would but it’s already paid for. An absolute waste of time and money. If you value your sanity do not go with Tynker. There is no customer service, questions go unanswered for years apparently because I looked in forums and I saw important unanswered questions from 2018 and it is now Sept 2019. My son loves video games and I just wanted to provide him an education that is focused around that but I have yet to find a website that accurately teaches and provides the resources. Also, the Minecraft Tynker server is a joke and glitches constantly, not to mention the mods you “deploy” NEVER work and it is not because the code is wrong on your end, it is Tynker. I think this website is a scam.

Not intuitive at all

The trial run in my sixth grade class. Intelligent kids. They had a very hard time figuring out how to navigate through the screens

AMAZING

i LOVE this site, and so do my kids. it wasnt easy to get there though, she had to CONSTANTLY buuuuuuuuuuuuuuug me to do it but in the end, i love it and #nevergonnastop

Good

I think it's definitely good for starters and advanced coders but it can brake with coding it happens to my son and his friend but it's a good free app my son always uses it considering it's free