Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 600,000 registered educators and 55,000 schools across the country use our ratings and free curricula and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
The Common Sense Arizona director is responsible for driving a strategic effort to build Common Sense Media's presence, strategic partnerships, and philanthropic base in Phoenix and throughout Arizona. The Arizona director is a frontline ambassador who cultivates, solicits, and manages high-profile relationships with civic, business, and community leaders as well as with local foundations and major donors. S/he supports Common Sense local education, business, and media partnerships by providing strategic input and helping to identify and structure partnerships in the region.
LOCATION: Phoenix, Arizona (@ the Getz Center for Collaborative Philanthropy)
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Partnerships, Policy & Presence Building
- Act as local Common Sense ambassador by attending (and speaking at, where appropriate) key regional and statewide thought leadership events to network and raise awareness about the organization and amplify organizational priorities
- Identify opportunities for and build/manage partnerships with local community organizations, school districts, media, civic agencies, advocacy organizations and companies to build support for organizational programs, priorities, and policy reform efforts
- Work with policy team to develop a statewide policy advocacy strategy engaging elected officials and other influentials
- Work with internal stakeholders to leverage data, research, and programs to amplify our impact in Phoenix and throughout the state
- Serve as local press spokesperson as appropriate
- Build an Arizona Advisory Council (including identifying, recruiting, and guiding members) to help the organization establish a presence and visibility in the region, establish partnerships, and cultivate a philanthropic base
- Plan and facilitate three Advisory Council meetings per year
- Ensure that all Advisory Council members are actively engaged with meaningful assignments that strengthen their commitment to Common Sense's mission
- Steward relationship with existing/active local funders
- Develop and execute strategy for reaching and cultivating new audiences capable of financially supporting the organization and the Arizona office, including hosting high-profile events
- Build a sustainable fundraising program to support the Arizona office, comprised of a combination of local foundations and major donors
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years working in a senior management role in at least one of the following sectors: non-profit, media/technology, education, or advocacy/policy.
- 5 years of successful experience in fundraising (particularly in a field related to education, families and children) through Board, major volunteer or operating role.
- Bilingual English/Spanish highly desirable.
- Deep understanding of the Arizona educational, non-profit, business, and philanthropic landscape.
- Willing to travel and spend several days in San Francisco each quarter.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills; public speaking experience required.
- Creative and high level of energy and productivity.
- Execution-focused and able to convert strategy into action and results.
- Self-motivated and flexible; must work well independently.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, follow through and multi-task in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, environment.
THE X FACTOR:
- You are energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, hardworking, and a total team player.
- You are organized and able to work on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines.
- You are deeply inspired by the Common Sense mission.
- You have a great sense of humor -- even when meeting tough deadlines.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.