Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital-citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 70,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curricula and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
The art director oversees the look and feel of the Common Sense brand and user experiences and has a passion for elegant, forward-thinking design. S/he is responsible for the design and creation of all Common Sense digital content including websites, mobile apps, newsletters, iBooks, partner integrations, and print collateral including marketing brochures, one-pagers, event materials, and more. The art director will manage a team of three designers, have constant contact with project managers, and work closely with the product and marketing teams. The time spent in this role will be split between design and management responsibilities. The art director should be a leader who is excited about helping designers build and refine their concepts and design skills and equally excited about creating her/his own work.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Manage and inspire the design team and oversee all product and marketing designs from concept to implementation.
- UX work and thinking including responsive screen-based and mobile design.
- Manage timeline and execution of design jobs/tasks, including websites, landing pages, email newsletters, display ads, onsite banners, research reports, infographics, printed collateral, event marketing, motion graphics, and so on.
- Design innovative and intuitive layouts and interfaces that utilize a diverse range of visuals (photography, illustration, infographics, and icons).
- Develop original creative concepts and approaches with the project team, including product owners and developers.
- Use A/B testing and data to help make design decisions.
- Maintain constant communication with the product and marketing teams, project managers, and designers.
- Work in partnership with the brand director to ensure designs are consistent with organization branding and brand architecture.
- Communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale to other members of the design, development, and client teams.
- Manage multiple projects and juggle priorities and deadlines.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ
- Bachelor's degree.
- 10+ years Web design experience, 4+ years experience managing a staff of designers.
- Strong understanding of user experience and user interface.
- In-depth knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Strong knowledge of Web and mobile design best practices.
- Past projects that used design to enhance success.
- Ability to work with front-end developers and understand how new code and UX experiences are changing design paradigms.
OTHER SKILLS WE ARE SEEKING
- Strong conceptual thinking, with knowledge of visual storytelling, typography, iconography, color theory, proportion, and responsive layout for mobile, tablets, print (and the production methods associated with each).
- Organized, detail-oriented, and dependable with a great attitude and the ability to work in a deadline-driven team environment.
- Experience with A/B testing tools and using analytics to help drive design decisions.
- Experience with or understanding of TV (large-screen) apps.
- Killer attention to detail, especially in pixels and type.
- Experience creating and working with wireframes, sketches, UI, and final visual design.
- Experience designing for mobile applications.
- Positive, enthusiastic attitude.
THE "X" FACTOR
- You have a great eye for design and a passion for the details of building a brand.
- You are a skilled communicator and collaborator.
- You are inspired by the Common Sense mission.
- You care deeply about the products you build.
WHAT WE OFFER
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- A competitive salary and a rich suite of health, welfare, and lifestyle benefits.
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of kids!
HOW TO APPLY
For consideration, please forward your résumé, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note "Art Director" in the subject line of your email.