Associate Editor, TV/Movies
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 600,000 registered educators and 55,000 schools use our ratings and curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and legislators to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
Reporting to the senior editor, television, the associate editor, TV/movies will research and edit reviews for episodic and feature-length content from major streaming services (including but not limited to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon) and other sources, helping meet business partner deliverables and ensuring a robust review library. Other duties may include updating older reviews, contributing to curated lists, and management of freelance writers.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Support the senior editor, television, and senior editor, DVD and streaming movies, by editing reviews for the Common Sense Media consumer platform.
- Identify any gaps in our review catalog that will assist in fulfilling partner deliverables; coordinating with the business development team as needed.
- Liaise with freelance reviewers, track assignment dates/deadlines, determine review ratings, and meet ambitious deadlines.
- Update/create curated lists as assigned.
- Use proprietary content management system.
- Stay on top of all streaming trends and major players.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Background in journalism/online content creation and/or media criticism.
- Minimum 3 years' experience in an editorial capacity, ideally for a parent audience.
- Familiarity with media and pop culture trends.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to make decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with Google Docs/Sheets/etc.
THE X FACTOR:
- You are energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, hard-working, and a total team player.
- You are organized and able to work on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines.
- You are deeply inspired by the Common Sense Media mission.
- You have a great sense of humor, even when meeting tough deadlines.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.