Business Development Manager
- Job Opportunities
- Arizona Director
- Arizona Education Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Digital Engagement and Advocacy Manager
- Education Researcher
- Educator Community Manager
- Full Stack Engineer
- Head of Communications
- Motion Designer
- Office Operations Manager
- Product Designer
- Senior Technologist
- Staff Accountant
Common Sense is the leading independent nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 70,000 member schools use our ratings and curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are seeking a business development manager to work closely with the business development team and collaborate across the organization to support a broad range of efforts focused on securing new licensed content partnerships spanning the consumer and education space. The primary functions of this role are: support of new business prospecting and pipeline management; analysis/research of industry trends; and support of proposal development and negotiations of new and renewed partner agreements. This role is based in San Francisco and will report to the director of business development. Some travel may be required.
REPORT TO: Director, business development
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Support the business development team by providing research and analysis of current and potential business partners, maintaining business intelligence and market data related to existing and potential partnerships, and supporting proposal development and negotiation of new and renewed agreements.
Market analysis and research
- Conduct market and company research. Seek out new market insights and business opportunities through research and analysis.
- Generate ideas to measure business value and expand new business/existing partnerships.
- Monitor industry trends and partner-specific developments.
- Stay abreast of business conditions and key market drivers affecting current and potential new business partners.
Core business support
- Assist with business development activities, such as generating pitch decks and proposals, communicating with clients and internal partners, managing contracts and deal memos, and more.
- Coordinate with the finance team to develop financial reports, revenue projections, etc.
- Support management of new business pipeline and integration with CRM platforms.
- Support VP and director on additional existing and new business partner-related projects as needed.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of three years of relevant experience in a related role; client-facing services a plus.
- Experience in partnerships, sales, and/or business development strongly preferred.
- Strong market research and analysis skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects and quick-moving timelines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to represent Common Sense in interactions with partners, potential partners, and other third parties
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision yet request assistance as needed
- Knowledge of the media, technology, and/or edtech industries a plus.
- Strong computer skills including MS Office, G Suite, and Salesforce
- Positive attitude: You're proactive, self-motivated, and eager to learn.
THE X FACTOR:
- You have great attention to detail and follow-through, with insatiable curiosity.
- You have a true sense of ownership and are passionate about results.
- You are a skilled communicator and collaborator, inspired by Common Sense's mission.
- You have a great sense of humor -- even when meeting tough deadlines.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision and a matching 401(k)
- An organization that offers work/life balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.