Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 600,000 registered educators and 55,000 schools use our ratings and curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
Common Sense Media is actively looking for a self-motivated, mission-driven data analyst/scientist to join our team. The data analyst/scientist will work alongside marketing, product and engineering, development, and other departments to set up and deliver advanced analytics and data-driven insights to stakeholders. The main work tool will be Looker; we need someone who can work with the business users/analyst types in different departments, helping them understand and deliver the dashboards and queries that inform their decisions.
Your primary task will be to help increase membership and donations to the organization. You will help test different approaches, messages, and benefits as we come up with the most successful offering to either pursue a paid membership, membership-plus-voluntary-donation, or similar offering to make this an important revenue source for the organization. Experience in driving membership and conversion around membership in previous positions in a plus.
The data analyst/scientist will be supported by a devops engineer who will set up and manage the central data repository, a UX expert who will help define the user needs, a technical project manager, a Salesforce administrator who manages that platform, and other staff members who will help them work with the rest of the organization. The position will report to the CTO/head of product and work closely with marketing. Initially, you will be a one-person team, with a lot of support, but expected to be a leader and evangelist.
The first months will be spent setting up the tool and helping to educate and train various members across departments in using Looker and, over a longer period, training them in becoming as self-sufficient as possible in using the tool.
- Help train stakeholders and business analysts in other departments in defining and using Looker to think analytically about asking questions; solving their problems; and meeting KPIs with the primary focus on membership growth.
- Write the SQL queries and, where needed, LookML code to define dashboards and analytic frameworks within Looker, combining data from multiple sources, including Drupal SQL databases, Google Analytics, and Salesforce.
- Evangelize within the organization about the use of data to inform decisions and formulate questions in a way that data can be used to help find the answers and increase membership, donations, or some combination of the two.
- Define KPIs, build dashboards, and create reports on the chosen platform in consultation with various team members, primarily marketing, product, and development to begin with.
- Respond to operational needs by providing analytical support.
- Establish and maintain a system to roll up qualitative data gathered from various sources (customer support requests, user comments, educator outreach) into digestible quantitative insights that support, initially and primarily, membership acquisition.
- Perform sufficient qualitative research to gain insights into data trends. (Get data from individual users to show the "why" and "how" for the quantitative data's "how much" and "how often.") Use that research to become an expert in the end-to-end needs of our users.
- 2+ years of experience in business or data analysis with experience in identity, ecommerce, online payments, education, reviews, or the gaming industry.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to train and guide others.
- Bachelor's degree or comparable experience required in a quantitative discipline such as mathematics, statistics, economics, engineering, operations research, computer science, or quantitative psychology.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to interpret and manipulate large structured data to develop recommendations and analysis.
- Proficiency with SQL, tools such as Tableau or Looker, and other statistical/reporting packages.
- Self-motivated; works well both independently and as part of an agile team.
- Master's degree required, in a quantitative discipline such as mathematics, statistics, economics, engineering, operations research, computer science, or quantitative psychology.
- Experience in developing, driving, and supporting membership/donation models.
- Experience with console development for analytical platforms.
- Understanding of other Big Data tools.
- Experience with visualization tools and platforms.
- Experience integrating third-party data into Looker, such as Salesforce.
Note: For the right candidate, we would be willing to provide additional training as needed in use of Looker and data science.
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.