Director of Communications
Common Sense Media is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology. We are seeking a Director of Communications to help manage the media relations operations for the organization and to work closely with the Vice President of Communications and Strategic Programs to implement the organizational communications plan.
The Director of Communications will report to the Vice President of Communications and Strategic Programs and work closely with the 5-member communications team that is responsible for promoting the organization’s brand, programs and messages to key constituents, with a main focus on the news media. The Director will help develop and support both a proactive and reactive press strategy, with a primary responsibility for press/media related to our Common Sense Media consumer platform. This will include developing relationships and working closely with reporters, editors and producers to secure positive media coverage and external brand awareness of Common Sense Media and its mission.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Play a leading role in the department’s media relations efforts, including development of storylines and pitching targeted reporters, especially regarding the consumer platform for Common Sense Media.
- Assist with the development of press and communications plans related to organizational initiatives and announcements.
- Write organizational press releases, blog posts, and public statements.
- Potentially serve as organizational spokesperson for print, radio, television, and other external events.
- Consult on content including videos, blog posts, advice columns, newsletters and other content pieces that Common Sense shares with external audiences.
- Consult and prepare executive staff for appearances at key conferences, seminars, and other speaking engagements across the country.
- Support the department’s effort to communicate consistently by updating talking points and other key press materials for spokespeople
- Other duties as assigned by the VP of Communications and Strategic Programs.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME:
- 10 years of experience in the media world, with a focus on kids or technology preferred.
- Must have a strong editorial eye, be media-savvy, and love to pitch and write.
- Experience managing and motivating teams.
- Excellent, excellent verbal and written skills.
- Familiarity with social media and its role in public relations and marketing.
- Excellent people skills; creates rapport and inspires confidence.
- Outstanding organizational abilities; must be detail-oriented.
- Resourceful and displays initiative.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in busy environment.
- Enthusiasm for Common Sense Media’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Communications, Journalism, Education, Political Science, or related field preferred. Master’s degree a plus.
THE X FACTOR:
- You are energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, hard-working and a total team player.
- You are organized and able to work on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines.
- You are deeply inspired by the Common Sense Media mission.
- You have a great sense of humor – even when meeting tough deadlines….and no drama.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A chance to work with truly talented, passionate professionals.
- The nation’s leading kids’ media and advocacy organization that offers great work/lifestyle balance.
- Rich benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, a matching 401(k) plan, and - we’re not done yet – a gym membership.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families this generation and the next!
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For consideration, please forward your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected]. Please note "JOB TITLE-YOUR LAST NAME-Director, Communications" in the subject line of your email.