Director of HR
- Job Opportunities
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 600,000 registered educators and 55,000 schools use our ratings and curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and legislators to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are currently seeking a director of HR to lead the day-to-day functioning of our HR team. The director of HR will work closely with the VP of talent management and HR to plan and execute Common Sense's people strategy. She or he will provide guidance and direction to management and staff on key employee life-cycle junctures, including onboarding, professional development, and succession planning. She or he will manage the HR coordinator, ensuring that our processes and procedures are top-notch and that our employees have the support and tools to do their best work. This position requires discretion and a high degree of confidentiality, as well as a strong commitment to continuous improvement and the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Performance management and professional development
- Provide training and guidance to management and staff on semiannual performance management procedures.
- Coach managers and staff on performance improvement plans as necessary.
- Propose and implement plans to meet org-wide and employee-specific training needs and provide development opportunities.
- Prepare annual compensation benchmarking report and review job levels and salary bands to ensure internal equity.
- Advise managers and staff on compensation philosophy and annual increase procedures.
- Employee relations and wellness
- Conduct annual employee-engagement survey.
- Lead existing HR programs (staff recognition, intern program, etc.) and propose new initiatives to promote employee wellness and drive engagement.
- Conduct exit interviews and analyze trends.
- Compliance and reporting
- Maintain knowledge of federal, state, and local employment legislation and ensure compliance.
- Ensure that HRIS and other digital personnel and HR files and records are maintained in accordance with all legal requirements.
- Support annual financial and 401(k) audit.
- Payroll and benefits
- Oversee and approve semimonthly payroll changes; run payroll and ad hoc reporting for accounting.
- Manage the full suite of benefits (health, 401(k), FSA, commuter, etc.) provided to staff, and provide direction to HR coordinator on administration of payroll and benefits.
- Plan for and oversee annual open enrollment procedures.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)
- Ensure our employment practices are equitable and inclusive.
- Work with the DEI core team and VP of talent management and HR to develop and manage workplace initiatives that support the organization's internal DEI priorities.
- Ensure that HR policies and procedures are effectively communicated to staff and management, anticipate questions, and respond proactively and knowledgeably.
- Conduct in-person and virtual training sessions and workshops on key policies and procedures as needed.
- Draft offer letters, review employment contracts, and update policies and documentation of procedures as needed.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of progressively higher-level HR experience
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong computer skills: G-Suite required and MS Office helpful
- Ability to be creative and innovative in bringing solutions to problems
- Proven track record of providing superior customer service in previous roles
- An eye for improving HR processes and building systems to support future projects
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment requiring great time-management skills and the ability to prioritize assignments
- Experience with HRIS and payroll systems required
THE "X" FACTOR:
You are well liked and well respected by management and staff. You have a reputation for responsiveness, thoroughness, and dedication. Former colleagues know you as good-hearted and lots of fun to work with but focused on quality, accuracy, and fairness. You remain professional, sense of humor intact, through the most trying and hectic of times. You bring a natural creativity to your efforts, finding unique and effective ways to solve problems. Not satisfied with "good enough," you are always looking for ways to improve processes and procedures. You have experience working with confidential information requiring discretion and tact. And finally, you care about our mission and what we do.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k)
- An organization that offers work/life balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values a diverse workforce and is committed to the principles of equity and inclusion in its employment practices.