Education Content Specialist
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 600,000 registered educators and 55,000 schools use our ratings and curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and legislators to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
As an education content specialist, you will develop and support content for Common Sense Education programs, specifically our digital citizenship program. You will work on a team to conceptualize and create high-quality and research-based K–12 learning resources. Your goal is to create resources that support students, educators, and schools in creating a positive culture around media and technology.
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Education content development:
- Conceptualize, plan, and develop friendly, easy-to-use educational content for educators and students on digital citizenship, media literacy, and related topics (lessons, activities, guides, videos, webinars, interactives, professional development materials, and online trainings).
- Manage projects to move content through the development process, working cross-functionally with design and product teams.
- Organize, upload, and assess education content catalog.
- Iterate on existing content, making improvements based on user feedback and product advancements.
- Stay on the pulse of educator needs and user preferences.
- Ensure content is aligned to and drives our recognition program.
- Plan, organize, and host a monthly webinar series.
- Create and improve upon online training resources.
Content performance reporting:
- Report out monthly metrics on content.
- Report and analyze content performance (knowledge of Google Analytics a plus).
- Carry out other special projects and duties related to the digital citizenship program and deliverables as needed.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- One to three years of experience creating educator- and student-friendly materials, such as lesson plans, student activities, videos, and professional development.
- Examples and evidence of clear and concise writing and communication skills for an education audience.
- Background content knowledge of digital learning, digital citizenship, and media literacy.
- Understanding of the best practices and challenges of teaching and learning with technology.
- Background in online and in-person teacher professional development, adult learning principles, and instructional design.
THE X FACTOR:
- You are passionate about designing high-quality, research-based resources for educators and students on digital citizenship, media literacy, and teaching with technology.
- You are enthusiastically open to feedback, revisions, and improvements as part of the content development process.
- You have experience teaching students (K–12).
- You are deeply inspired by the Common Sense mission.
- You are organized and able to work on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines.
- You are comfortable and collegial in working with a variety of partners from K–12, industry, and academics.
- You look for solutions to dilemmas and have a "can do" attitude.
- You are tech savvy and willing to learn new tools.
- Nice-to-have knowledge: Google Suite, Asana, Slack, Zoom, Salesforce, Google Analytics, SurveyMonkey, Articulate.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) is preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.